Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

TV News Ratings November 2020

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Rate This

Re: TV News Ratings November 2020

Post by Rate This » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:19 pm

Fred wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:45 pm
Yes, to VP/Gm of something. I think outwest. Ed was in charge of Dave Manny and Tim Dye at XYZ.
Scripps VP of Operations but he stayed in Southfield. Had to look it up and then remembered. If I remember right Fernandez was the reason Dye was hired.

Fred

Post by Fred » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:31 pm

Yep. Dye came from GR. His wife didn't like the commute. Not sure why because he was only there a day or so a week.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:34 am

· 6AM Action News: 20% increased news share

· 7 Action News at 4PM: 14% increased news share

· 5PM Action News: 25% increased news share

· 6PM Action News: 15.7% increased news share

· 7PM Action News: 30% increased ratings growth

· 7 Action News 10PM on TV20 Detroit: 18% increased ratings growth

· 11PM Action News: 37% increased news share
Notice the usage of the phrase "increased news share." So, if total news viewership share went down but 7's portion of the pie went up a bit (even if their raw share number was flat to down), the station is claiming success.

What the heck does the term "increased ratings growth" even mean?

Channel 4 remains dominant over Channel 7, just to a moderately lesser extent than before.

The station that is hurting the most BY FAR is Fox 2. They are definitely underperforming and a lot of air has escaped the ratings balloon over the past 24 months.

Often, Fox 2 does overindex in 25-54, so maybe they are much more competitive in that category, but their overall HH numbers are atrocious!
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Fred

Post by Fred » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:43 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:34 am

Notice the usage of the phrase "increased news share." So, if total news viewership share went down but 7's portion of the pie went up a bit (even if their raw share number was flat to down), the station is claiming success.

What the heck does the term "increased ratings growth" even mean?

Channel 4 remains dominant over Channel 7, just to a moderately lesser extent than before.

Where are you seeing "flat to down"? Everything in that memo showed growth. I agree that each station will spin the numbers to make them look the best. That is why Ch4 always claims success based on HH. Ask their advertisers if they pay based on HH. (hint; they don't). I would question your use of "dominate" without seeing actual numbers in demos.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:05 am

A modern day Bill Bonds would help any Detroit station. Especially in this Trumpian era of anything goes. Get one man. A midwest-born (Michigan-born is best) authoritarian type. Not too young. Not too old. Somebody well read. Somebody polarizing. Somebody experienced in TV news reporting.

Pay him millions.

Get rid of almost all the station’s other anchors. Those left should get a pay cut.

Anyone else reporting news outside or inside must also make less money.

People would watch a smart, plain spoken, polarizing male star with experience who was born in Michigan or somewhere midwestern.

And make sure your meteorologists are all attractive females from different ethnicities/races.

My 2 cents.

Fred

Post by Fred » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:30 am

I think that Bill would be a bit to "polarizing" for this generation. :rollin

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:04 pm

Where are you seeing "flat to down"? Everything in that memo showed growth. I agree that each station will spin the numbers to make them look the best. That is why Ch4 always claims success based on HH. Ask their advertisers if they pay based on HH. (hint; they don't). I would question your use of "dominate" without seeing actual numbers in demos.
Every time I've seen A25-54 numbers and F25-54 numbers the past couple years, WDIV has led decisively in all dayparts except for early mornings and Noon.
Where are you seeing "flat to down"? Everything in that memo showed growth.
I was simply suggesting that choosing to use "total news share" as the measuring stick as opposed to actual share of overall viewing means, technically, that 7's actual share of overall viewing could have been flat to declining - i.e. if WDIV and WJBK's declines were even greater, then 7's "total news share" conceivably would be higher.

Let me make perfectly clear that I have no idea if that's what happened in this instance. I was merely sharing a theory and found it amusing that "total news share" was cited as opposed to actual share of overall viewing.

Overall viewership of local TV news in Detroit has dropped markedly through the years.

I will say 7's 10PM newscast on 20 is far more watchable than it was a couple years ago and I often choose it over WJBK's 10PM newscast. So glad all the moronic gimmicks that used to pervade that newscast have been tossed to the curb. The hideous split screen during the first ~10 minutes of the newscast (for the top 10 headlines), Rob Parker's sportscasts, etc. used to make that newscast pretty difficult to watch.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic