Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

I'm gonna give Comcast/Xfinity some credit

A place to discuss broadband, streaming video, cable, and satellite services (not programming). Bitch about your crappy cable, satellite or streaming video provider here! This is also the place to talk about channel line-ups, packages, and special offers.
km1125

Re: I'm gonna give Comcast/Xfinity some credit

Post by km1125 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:56 am

kager wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:56 am
  • You aren't going to get a courtesy call from cable providers asking if you want faster / better service at a lower price just because you are a good customer and pay your bills on time.
You've got to make the call. ...
^^^THIS

Yes, you have to make the call but more importantly, you have to actually say you're going to DISCONNECT if you can't get a lower rate somehow, and stick to your guns on that.

It also helps if you call at the right time. For Comcast, that's around the 20th of the month as that is when their financial cutoff is. They have to report numbers (maybe that's on the 22nd), so every person they can save during those last few days are actually more important than anyone they can save from the 22nd to the end of the month. They actually will release more options for their customer service reps to use to retain customers that aren't available any other time of the month. Those options aren't even available to regular customer service reps, just those that deal with customers who are actively trying to disconnect. Other companies do similar.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:41 am

km1125 wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:56 am
kager wrote:
  • You aren't going to get a courtesy call from cable providers asking if you want faster / better service at a lower price just because you are a good customer and pay your bills on time.
^^^THIS

Yes, you have to make the call but more importantly, you have to actually say you're going to DISCONNECT if you can't get a lower rate somehow, and stick to your guns on that.

It also helps if you call at the right time. For Comcast, that's around the 20th of the month as that is when their financial cutoff is. They have to report numbers (maybe that's on the 22nd), so every person they can save during those last few days are actually more important than anyone they can save from the 22nd to the end of the month. They actually will release more options for their customer service reps to use to retain customers that aren't available any other time of the month. Those options aren't even available to regular customer service reps, just those that deal with customers who are actively trying to disconnect. Other companies do similar.
I talked to the Comcast rep on the 19th. That would make sense.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

kager

Post by kager » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:02 pm

km1125 wrote:
kager wrote:
^^^THIS

'That time of the month'.

You just jogged my memory on this... I forgot to mention that most companies do not pro-rate refund you on unused services. IOW, for example, if your billing-cycle ** ends on the 19th, and you call to cancel services on, say, the 21st, you still are billed for the full month forward. They are pretty rigid on that.

** Billing-cycle dates are not the dates on your bill! Best to call them and find out when your actual billing-cycle ends ahead of time. Then, once you have your alternatives in place (in case they don't throw out an offer you can't refuse, or you really are cancelling for certain) call to cancel a day or two ahead of that date to ensure that if you really do cancel services, it is effective before the end of the cycle and you won't be billed for them.

Just be prepared for the services you cancel to end immediately...

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:26 pm

kager wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:02 pm
km1125 wrote:
kager wrote:
^^^THIS

'That time of the month'.

You just jogged my memory on this... I forgot to mention that most companies do not pro-rate refund you on unused services. IOW, for example, if your billing-cycle ** ends on the 19th, and you call to cancel services on, say, the 21st, you still are billed for the full month forward. They are pretty rigid on that.

** Billing-cycle dates are not the dates on your bill! Best to call them and find out when your actual billing-cycle ends ahead of time. Then, once you have your alternatives in place (in case they don't throw out an offer you can't refuse, or you really are cancelling for certain) call to cancel a day or two ahead of that date to ensure that if you really do cancel services, it is effective before the end of the cycle and you won't be billed for them.

Just be prepared for the services you cancel to end immediately...
If they stopped your services immediately but didn't stop the charges you should be VERY vocal about that. None of the companies that I know of would terminate your actual services but still charge you. They may not refund mid-billing cycle but they also should not cut off services until the billing cycle ends.

However, I do agree that you should understand what your billing cycle is and have that conversation with the rep when you have them on the phone so there are no surprises.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:43 am

My self-purchased modem is an early 2010's model, so I'm actually only able to get 1/3 of my actual allotted internet speed right now. (300 mbps internet reaches my house, but my modem only sends 100 mbps to my router.)

I purchased a new modem from Best Buy a week ago, which should arrive in a few days. I'm hopeful it'll make a big difference!

Cannot speak for Spectrum, but for folks with a 4K/2160p/UHD TV, please be advised the X1 set-top box from Xfinity with model number X1Gv3 is only capable of handling a 1080p signal.

To receive 4K content from apps accessed through the box - such as Netflix, Peacock or YouTube - or from live programming (believe it or not - some network programming is now transmitted in 4K format), you will need to switch out the X1Gv3 box for the smaller X1Gv4 box. This can be done free of charge.

The new box does not have a channel or time display on its front face. It also does not have a digital optical audio out port. The latter trait may be an issue for folks who have an older home theater receiver that is incapable of accepting an HDMI signal or folks who cannot pass 5.1 audio straight from their TV to their home theater receiver.

What's nice about the X1Gv4 box is it produces FAR less RF interference than the X1Gv3 box. The horrible interference I used to get on the FM dial from 89.7 MHz to 90.1 MHz from my old X1 box is now gone!

kager

Post by kager » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:07 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:43 am
My self-purchased modem is an early 2010's model, so I'm actually only able to get 1/3 of my actual allotted internet speed right now. (300 mbps internet reaches my house, but my modem only sends 100 mbps to my router.)

I purchased a new modem from Best Buy a week ago, which should arrive in a few days. I'm hopeful it'll make a big difference!
I'd be interested to know the model number and how it works out for you. I'm nearing time to upgrade myself...

I don't think Spectrum charges for cable modems anymore - and may even throw in a router or modem/router combo on some plans - so the trend for their customers has definitely been away from BYOD. Why pay extra if you don't need to? Let the the provider handle the support and upgrades... Geeks and gamers are the odd ones out, I'd guess.

I prefer (require) the flexibility afforded by owning my own, though, and have always used Motorola cable modems (used to be Surfboard by name) with good success. MB7420 employed here for the last few years does a great job, but only supports speeds up to 686mbps... a limit I hope to eclipse within the next couple of years. 8o

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:14 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:43 am

Cannot speak for Spectrum, but for folks with a 4K/2160p/UHD TV, please be advised the X1 set-top box from Xfinity with model number X1Gv3 is only capable of handling a 1080p signal.

To receive 4K content from apps accessed through the box - such as Netflix, Peacock or YouTube - or from live programming (believe it or not - some network programming is now transmitted in 4K format), you will need to switch out the X1Gv3 box for the smaller X1Gv4 box. This can be done free of charge.

The new box does not have a channel or time display on its front face. It also does not have a digital optical audio out port. The latter trait may be an issue for folks who have an older home theater receiver that is incapable of accepting an HDMI signal or folks who cannot pass 5.1 audio straight from their TV to their home theater receiver.

What's nice about the X1Gv4 box is it produces FAR less RF interference than the X1Gv3 box. The horrible interference I used to get on the FM dial from 89.7 MHz to 90.1 MHz from my old X1 box is now gone!
I got that Comcast letter a few weeks ago. The problem is their customer center is closed, so I am not sure how they want me to drop off my old box. Besides, it is a pain to hook it up.

By the way, I found out that my contract with Comcast did NOT expire on November 22nd like the gentleman told me. My bill says it is expiring Christmas Eve.

After reviewing my options with Wow(they are ending TV) and AT&T, I am just going to bite the bullet and get that starter triple play package for $151 including taxes. I don't have a choice. AT&T was offering a slower internet package with a similar TV offering for the same price. Plus, I know their service sucks. I hated then back when I bought my house and had my home phone through them.

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:31 pm

The problem is their customer center is closed, so I am not sure how they want me to drop off my old box.
I was at the one in Troy last Friday. Unless something changed this week, they're open during normal business hours seven days a week.

Kager,
I believe Arris Surfboard remains the most common brand for cable company modems. The one I am purchasing from Best Buy is this unit:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/arris-surf ... lsrc=aw.ds

(Price has gone up a little bit; I ordered it for $99.99 before tax.)

kager

Post by kager » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:13 am

Thanks, MW.

Nice. Looks like your new modem supports voice, and is fully Xfinity integrated.

I don't need the voice capability... I had my eye on the SB8200, but am going to wait a bit for Spectrum (or another vendor, if they ever show up around here) to play catch-up to the Gbit level (& maybe prices to go down) before I pull the trigger on a 32x8 modem...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:50 pm

The new modem is up and running.

The improvement wasn't quite what I was hoping, but that could be a function of (a) the strength of signal entering my house and (b) obstructions with the wi-fi signal coming from my router (also upgraded recently).

When connected to the 5 GHz band, my smartphone is able to download data while standing in my living room at 135 mbps.

My desktop PC - which is in a room substantially farther away from my router - is able to download data at 95 mbps. I use a TP-Link USB port dongle to connect wirelessly to the internet.

Because of how my house is configured, my cable enters the house on the west facing side in the basement and I really have no choice but to keep my modem in an unfinished storage room in the basement. I have it propped up as high as possible (sandwiched between the top of a door frame and the floor boards above). There is duct work nearby, too, which possibly interferes with the signal.

All that said, when I stand within plain sight of the router, I still receive the same download speed on my cell phone.

The above mentioned speeds are about 100% improved in the case of my cell phone and 25% improved in the case of my PC from what I was receiving before I began upgrading equipment. Both devices used to max out between 60 and 70 mbps.

I'm glad speeds are strongest in my living room; that's good news for YouTube / Netflix streaming!

kager

Post by kager » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:06 pm

Sounds like you got a nice bump in performance. You'll rarely get a true reading of what your ISP is providing you by wireless tests, though... wired Gbit end to end (with no other traffic on your LAN) will give you the best performance numbers & closest gauge of how well they are delivering what they promise...

Your router's performance, the number & type of other wireless clients on your network (and what they are doing) will also impact performance. I actually had to segment off to another router/subnet a recently-added wireless camera / security system, because it was just killing basic ops on computers / phones / tablets on the house production WiFi network that I naively installed it on 1st. Once I dedicated a router to service just the cameras/controllers and moved them there, it was back to smooth sailing everywhere else.

Mesh routers are quite common now... depending on the implementation, they can be great performers _and_ saturate all 4 corners of your space with a good signal, sted of just the latter.

Anyway, sounds like Santa got to the MW network early, & you're happy with it... enjoy!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:32 pm

There's no doubt in my mind a mesh system would've given me much faster speeds on my main floor, especially in my computer room. I don't really need the extra speed in my computer room, though. I am not a gamer.

I'm north of a 100 mbps in my living room, and I'm satisfied with that.

For folks with kids who are online all the time consuming bandwidth hungry content and/or have a relatively large house, a mesh system is definitely the best way to go!

Within a couple years from now, I think mesh systems will become the most popular option for at-home networking. Traditional routers and especially old-fashioned WiFi extenders will become less common.

Deleted User 15475

Post by Deleted User 15475 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:24 pm

I will have to see what sort of router I have, if I recall it's around 5-6 years old, Which seems a bit dated. The Modem which I currently possess belongs to my internet provider. I've considered purchasing a new router and modem, to see if my speed increases.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:25 pm

Just curious what you guys are actually seeing as total incoming bitrates when you're actively streaming stuff to multiple devices, especially including some 4K in the mix. How many simultaneous streams to you have running?

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:41 pm

Xfinity offered a new replacement modem, but I just don't want to mess with it in case I screw it up with installing it and what not. I do know that I get tired of the constant drop outs to my Firestick. But maybe that is because I use the Firestick for YouTube streaming.

The odd thing is that my tablet is more reliable than my Fire stick. My computer also has issues.

It's just me here so you would think I would have no issues, but that is not the case.

Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic