Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

I'm gonna give Comcast/Xfinity some credit

A place to discuss broadband, streaming video, cable, and satellite services (not programming). Bitch about your crappy cable, satellite or streaming video provider here! This is also the place to talk about channel line-ups, packages, and special offers.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: I'm gonna give Comcast/Xfinity some credit

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:07 pm

Just curious what you guys are actually seeing as total incoming bitrates when you're actively streaming stuff to multiple devices, especially including some 4K in the mix. How many simultaneous streams to you have running?
I am unable to provide useful data in that regard, as it's not common that multiple sources would be relying on WiFi to stream HD or 4K content simultaneously.

Several big tech companies recommend about 25 mbps of bandwidth to be able to stream 4K content reliably to one device. So, multiply that number by however many devices you expect to be in use simultaneously.

For "regular" HD content, 10 mbps of bandwidth per device should suffice.

Calvert DeForest

Re: I'm gonna give Comcast/Xfinity some credit

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:49 am

It's interesting how most of the live streaming package providers (YouTube TV, Hulu Live, etc) have raised their rates to where they cost more than comparable standard cable packages. The introductory rates seemed like a really good deal when people first started cutting the cord, but now that so many have migrated to these services and are used to what they have, the rates have skyrocketed. Google TV alone has nearly doubled their rate from $35 to $65 in just the last few years. I could add a TV package with a DVR to my internet for an additional $50/month and have pretty much everything the streaming platforms offer, and that's month-to-month with no contract (we opt for the rooftop antenna instead). Gotta wonder if these streaming platforms will eventually price themselves out of the market.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic