Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

YouTube is listening to me

A place to discuss broadband, streaming video, cable, and satellite services (not programming). Bitch about your crappy cable, satellite or streaming video provider here! This is also the place to talk about channel line-ups, packages, and special offers.
stopnswop2

YouTube is listening to me

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:33 pm

YouTube is clearly listening to me.

It's recommending to me recently played songs on 98.7 The Breeze, which I have on 24/7.
Songs I would not normally ever search for.

Time to go deny microphone access to the app...

Music is my life.

ZenithCKLW

Re: YouTube is listening to me

Post by ZenithCKLW » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:38 pm

While you're at it, do the same for Instagram and Facebook. Both of those apps show ads for OBSCURE things I just talked about. For instance, this summer, I was talking to my neighbor outside about a boat launch and storage facility in Monroe. Minutes later, an ad for that facility pops up on both my IG and FB feeds.

While harmless on the surface, I don't like the idea of these data points compiling on me out there.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:40 pm

Yea, I've had this issue with Facebook and other apps,
But I did not expect it from youtube! I didn't even realize mic access was even enabled

Music is my life.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:57 pm

Other than tailoring ads to hopefully give you things of interest what are your concerns?

I no longer directly engage trolls

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:13 pm

You don't find it at all disturbing that your phone is listening to your conversations?

That's an invasion is privacy and can potentially used for more sinister things.

It's no different than someone putting a microphone directly in your house.
I'm sure you would have a problem with that right?

Music is my life.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:16 pm

Good question. I'm concerned it tracks my location, or maybe tracks private conversations for data to be sent to companies I choose not to do business with, such as if I'm talking about a health issue that gets "out there". While one point of data may typically be harmless, if different aggregators collect enough data about me, a more accurate and complete profile on me may be built and sold. An extreme, unlikely, but possible example could be my phone listening a critical conversation about a powerful body that could retaliate. When you opt out of data collection under the guise of "you simply won't see as many relevant ads", they are misleading you about the consequences of this decision.

I know it sounds very tinfoil-hat-ish, and while some may say "if I'm doing nothing wrong, I shouldn't care," it is still wrong. I don't want uncontrolled data about me floating around the internet. If we let it do that now, it becomes normalized, and it could ramp up to something worse. I guess I'm more concerned about that than I am about the specific data it collects.

I work in IT and compliance and I come into contact with marketing solutions and software and opposing parties that demand security and privacy, especially when my company is dealing with HIPAA regulations. The way information spreads and companies like Facebook encourage it is despicable. Facebook is not a good company, in my opinion.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:22 pm

Don't say that an intellectual discussion is "tinfoil hatish".

Just because narrow minded unintelligent people want to live in their safe little bubble doesn't mean that we can't have a logical and factual conversation about an actual important topic.

While everyone else wants to discuss the "fake news making biased reports about snow" and what politician is getting arrested, I prefer to discuss actual important issues.

Music is my life.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:29 pm

I don't think Craig was trying to minimize our concerns, as much as he was asking to understand something additional that he may not have considered. He's not typically one to disrespectfully do that. I respect his question and wish more people would ask it to understand.

But yes, I think that's the kind of frequently-overlooked stuff that can raise the hair on my neck. We have one of those Alexa devices in our house and I don't trust it. We need more education in the world about these data thieves because that "field" is growing seemingly faster than we can keep up with it. I only do because it's my job. I'm glad you brought up the topic.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:38 pm

Sorry. I just assumed craig was trying to be rude, based on the way he asked. I could be right or wrong, we can't know.

But omg, my Amazon Echo I don't even have plugged in when I don't need her.

I found her on multiple occasion turning orange (the listening light color) at random times during the day while I was talking.

Also because she scares the crap out of me by randomly talking at night, lol.

Music is my life.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:42 pm

A friend sent me a link to a YouTube video about something that Amazon Echo thing does. The video started by loudly saying "ALEXA! DO SOMETHING BLAH BLAH BLAH" and my Echo Dot turned on and immediately started to respond. While that was funny, the fact is that the device is always listening waiting for the command. I don't think Amazon programmed it to "listen 24/7 for the command, for everything else you heard, just dump all that data." I don't believe that for a minute.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:56 pm

I saw a video about a woman saying her Echo randomly started playing an audio clip of her talking on the phone...

Now I can't confirm the validity of this incident, but
Like wtf

Music is my life.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

I appreciate the feedback ZenithCKLW. I went through the apps on my phone and checked the permissions. I guess I already limited most of them to what was minimally necessary. A couple I scaled back

I no longer directly engage trolls

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:54 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm
I appreciate the feedback ZenithCKLW. I went through the apps on my phone and checked the permissions. I guess I already limited most of them to what was minimally necessary. A couple I scaled back
Sorry for being rude. I didn't know you were genuinely curious.

Music is my life.

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:17 am

Meanwhile, back on the ranch... "Apple blocks Google from running its internal iOS apps"

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/31/1820 ... ertificate

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:40 am

Been following this thread for a bit.
The question may not be is YouTube listening, as much as is YouTube looking at what you search on Google.
Keep in mind, Google owns YouTube. I have seen YouTube suggest stuff I googled.
I googled fishing knots, and YouTube had fishing knot videos suggested the next time I brought it up.
Just one example of many.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic