Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 6 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Your Clock May Not Be Accurate

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
Turkeytop

Your Clock May Not Be Accurate

Post by Turkeytop » Sun May 05, 2024 9:48 pm

WWVB, the NIST 60 KHZ time signal, uised to synchronize clocks and other devices all over North America, is now operating at reduced power due to antenna damage sustained in a violent storm on April 7.
Notice: From approximately 0000 UTC on April 7, 2024 WWVB's south antenna has been disabled as a result of damage from wind gusts in excess of 90 MPH. WWVB ...
‎Help with WWVB Radio... · ‎WWVB 2023 Antenna... · ‎WWVB 2020 Antenna...

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Honeyman

Re: Your Clock May Not Be Accurate

Post by Honeyman » Sun May 05, 2024 10:24 pm

Fascinating.
The censorship king from out of state.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun May 05, 2024 11:56 pm

I'm a stickler for punctuality. Accurate time keeping is important to me. Although it seems to be less important to the world at large. Hotel rooms don't even have a clock anymore. They say guests are embarrassed to have a clock in their room.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon May 06, 2024 11:58 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 11:56 pm
I'm a stickler for punctuality. Accurate time keeping is important to me. Although it seems to be less important to the world at large. Hotel rooms don't even have a clock anymore. They say guests are embarrassed to have a clock in their room.
Do you own a watch?
The censorship king from out of state.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon May 06, 2024 12:00 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Time is a construct TT, you are always right on time.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Paul Richards

Post by Paul Richards » Mon May 06, 2024 4:22 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 11:58 am
Turkeytop wrote:
Do you own a watch?
He doesn’t need one. He steals the alarm clocks from Hotel rooms when he visits the USA. That’s why he gets upset when he gets a room at the inn and there are no alarm clocks. Most hotel chains are on to Turkeytop. :rollin
Jo and the Ho gotta Go.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Mon May 06, 2024 4:34 pm

Sounds like you’ve been here before. 🙄

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon May 06, 2024 5:13 pm

Other sources besides WWVB that are within a small fraction of a second.

WWV on 2.5, 5, 10, 15, 20, and 25 MHz.
CHU on 3.33, 7.85, and 14.67 MHz.
Clocks on your computer.
Clocks on OnStar and similar services, on car radios.
Cell phones.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Mon May 06, 2024 5:21 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Last few times I've done a hotel stay, there certainly has been a clock in the room. The damn display had the brightness of a thousand suns, even after I'd found the switch to "dim" it. Put a towel over the front so I could sleep. The outlet to simply unplug it was somewhere behind the nightstand or the bed, not reachable without rearranging the furniture.
What the room did NOT have, however, was a clock radio. Guests nowadays probably don't know what it is, what it's for or how to use it. There's so much RFI/EMI in those buildings that a radio is useless anyway.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon May 06, 2024 6:26 pm

SolarMax wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 5:21 pm

Last few times I've done a hotel stay, there certainly has been a clock in the room. The damn display had the brightness of a thousand suns, even after I'd found the switch to "dim" it. Put a towel over the front so I could sleep. The outlet to simply unplug it was somewhere behind the nightstand or the bed, not reachable without rearranging the furniture.
What the room did NOT have, however, was a clock radio. Guests nowadays probably don't know what it is, what it's for or how to use it. There's so much RFI/EMI in those buildings that a radio is useless anyway.
I have no need for a clock radio. But I do need a radio. I don't watch TV. Hotel radios are never any good so I've always carried a good radio with me wherever I travel. Now, I also carry a clock with me. When I wake up in a dark room, I like to look at the clock to see the time.
Ben Zonia wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 5:13 pm
Other sources besides WWVB that are within a small fraction of a second.

WWV on 2.5, 5, 10, 15, 20, and 25 MHz.
CHU on 3.33, 7.85, and 14.67 MHz.
Great idea. I never even thought of that. When I wake up in the night and want to know the time, all I need to do is turn on the lamp, fire up the short wave radio, listen for the correct time, then go back to sleep.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon May 06, 2024 7:43 pm

There you go problem solved the Broadcast Engineer way.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

kager

Post by kager » Mon May 06, 2024 10:26 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 4:34 pm
Sounds like you’ve been here before. 🙄
:lol

Now what would give anyone that idea?
"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon May 06, 2024 11:47 pm

I mentioned three other methods besides time signals. Most people use their cell phones for alarm clocks in hotels. They can also use a wake up call. You could also bring a small alarm clock and or portable radio with an alarm feature. A small one can easily be packed.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue May 07, 2024 12:35 am

Ben Zonia wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 11:47 pm
I mentioned three other methods besides time signals. Most people use their cell phones for alarm clocks in hotels. They can also use a wake up call. You could also bring a small alarm clock and or portable radio with an alarm feature. A small one can easily be packed.
I don't need an alarm clock or a wake up call. But a clock is nice. I don't have a cell phone, but even if I had one, it seems like a lot of trouble fumbling around for it in the dark just to check the time.

Paul Richards

Post by Paul Richards » Tue May 07, 2024 8:42 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 12:35 am
Ben Zonia wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 11:47 pm
I don't need an alarm clock or a wake up call. But a clock is nice. I don't have a cell phone, but even if I had one, it seems like a lot of trouble fumbling around for it in the dark just to check the time.
As you have said in an earlier post that you would fire up a shortwave radio to find out what time it was. Why not just look at your watch? You have to fumble around to find the time station on shortwave. Invest in an alarm clock and take it with you wherever you go, hell put a chain on it and hang it around you neck like that rapper dude from the 80’s Flavor Flav.
Jo and the Ho gotta Go.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic