Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Yammies aren't built so well these days...

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Yammies aren't built so well these days...

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:53 am

I did see at some point in 2022 that the S760H was on clearance for $249.97 at Costco (in-club).

For music sound field, I'm fairly impressed by its performance. HEOS is good, and the Audyssey room calibration app works much better than YPAO from Yamaha. I understand some versions of Audyssey take measurements from at least nine different monitoring positions. The no-frills version built into my AVR takes measurements from six positions.

TV content is the only area where I felt the Yamaha performed better aurally. Will be giving the Denon a workout later this week as March Madness gets underway. :)

In terms of loudness, -40 dB to -35 dB is generally where I keep the volume.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

teetoppz28

Post by teetoppz28 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:02 pm

I still use a Sony STR-DH540 as my main receiver in my home theater... It's at least 12 years old now (and is a replacement from the previous version of it, as the original fried a board and it was 2x the MSRP to fix)! :hat

Now I just jinxed THAT! lol
Dropping knowledge on forum MAGAts.
Unapologetically intellectually superior.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:41 pm

I use a Kenwood from 1991. It has a direct pass thru feature that produces better sound than the Denon we got for my friend.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:55 pm

Kenwood discontinued its receivers for home use in 2007, and that's a shame, because for the vast majority of its existence, it had a phenomenal brand reputation.

I am still awaiting the prognosis of my Yammie, but if I were a betting man, I'd wager that the board is hosed.

billmich88888

Post by billmich88888 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:31 pm

read this discussion, I know you are familiar with the site:

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/should ... 0overheats.

if your protection trips a lot, then change it, otherwise leave it alone

billmich88888

Post by billmich88888 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:32 pm

https://www.avforums.com/threads/6-ohm- ... p.2325222/

Do not follow what the manufacturer suggests in their user manual and do not use impedance switching. It simply starves the speakers of power and has no audible benefits. It is a feature intended to protect the AV receiver from overheating, but isn't required due to the fact that modern day AV receivers already include integral protection circuitry that should put the unit into standby should it approach the limits of its operational temperature.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:15 pm

You are correct (and I was mistaken earlier); setting the AVR to 6 ohms as opposed to 8 ohms *does* result in a lower power draw by the amplifier and is intended to counteract the power draw tendency of low impedance speakers. I misinterpreted this menu option as measuring the amp's power resistance. You are absolutely right that the toggle is a power saving and overheating risk mitigation feature. The unintended consequence of using the 6 ohm setting on the AVR is potentially diminished sound quality.

All of that said, the power saving benefits and lowering of the amp's internal temperature are appealing to me. I've not noticed any discernible decline in audio quality when using the 6 ohms setting as compared to the 8 ohms setting. I encountered the same audio issues at both the 6 ohms and 8 ohms setting during the first couple days of use.

I will likely change the setting back to 8 ohms at some point this week for observation purposes. I will then report my findings here.

This advice (from one of the URLs you linked) makes sense to me:
The best setting is to leave it at the 8 ohm or higher setting, as this will make all the power the amp available. However, if it results in the amp going into protection mode then you will have to lower the setting as you're stressing the amp enough where it overheats. Also lower the setting if you feel uneasy since it is related to product safety.
I think the protection circuitry is what might explain the power cycling on my Yammie before it hit the skids. Regrettably, I have no recollection if it was set to 6 ohms or 8 ohms recently. I do remember playing around with that setting after I bought my current front L/R speakers a little over a year ago. With my former speaker set, I also remember playing around with that setting, and I do recall hearing some distortion when using the "6 ohms" setting, so for those speakers, I know for sure I returned the setting to 8 ohms.

billmich88888

Post by billmich88888 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:13 am

in the end, you do whatever you feel most comfortable with on the equipment that YOU own.

I was just trying to provide a path of increased performance (bang for the buck)
If you think there is a heat issue, a cheap (and basically silent) fan, properly placed-- can do wonders for cooling

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 pm

I did flip the switch back to 8 ohms this morning.

After a couple days of monitoring, I'll let you guys know if I notice any meaningful difference in sound fidelity or heat emission.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:37 pm

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:49 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:55 pm
Kenwood discontinued its receivers for home use in 2007, and that's a shame, because for the vast majority of its existence, it had a phenomenal brand reputation.
I got robbed in 1990 while living on Lafayette Street on Heritage Hill. I had a lower rated Kenwood unit stolen, but the insurance company fulfillment guy replaced it with a top of the line unit. Surround Sound was brand new. This unit is a tank, moved with me 27 times and is paired with Bose commercial studio speakers. I can make my great room just radiate with this set up. Even Vinyl is incredible with the SL1200 and the Audio-Technica VM750SH cartridge.
― Noam Chomsky

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:32 pm

An insurance company going above and beyond on a claim? I guess miracles do happen. :)

This might give you a chuckle - I was impressed by how life like the classical music played by 90.9 WRCJ sounds on my new setup. It literally fills the room. Their processing has a natural sound. 102.7 K-Love and 96.3 WDVD are two other stations that sound really good aurally.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:21 pm

Does this mean your rants about station processing will come to a halt?
― Noam Chomsky

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:08 am

Nope, because multiple stations still sound AWFUL!

WRIF is one of the worst offenders, although I will acknowledge their issues largely stem from poor recording quality.

Heard them play "Give it Away" by the RHCP the other day and was in disbelief at how inaccurate the rhythm section sounded. Bass was completely muffled.

Beasley has 3 FMs locally that sound like complete garbage aurally - WRIF, WCSX and WDMK. WMGC for some reason sounds very good.

All the iHM stations sound pretty good locally.

Audacy's stations also sound OK if not downright good from a processing standpoint. The only issue with Audacy is the automation issue at WOMC that continues to cause occasional audio disturbances. A Tracy Chapman song - an artist I enjoy - was unlistenable the other day due to the glitches.

billmich88888

Post by billmich88888 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:12 am

in the audio world, FM radio is relatively "lo-fi".

maybe a super job by a CE can get it "mid-fi".
but it's never "hi-fi"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic