Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

TCL TV Advice

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
Taco

Re: TCL TV Advice

Post by Taco » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:35 pm

Very interesting, I'm a little gun shy on getting a 4K TV after this fiasco. Maybe I should give 4K another chance? Since the 55" in was way too big I might scale down to a 43". And there aren't a lot of TV's to pick from that are not 4K.

What size and model are you using? How many HDMI ports and what smart TV OS? I guess I have learned you get what you pay for, I was just lucky I didn't have any hassles trying to return it. It was a pain trying to box it back up!

I didn't realize it was the fact the TCL was a budget model which cause poor picture quality on older shows. I just figured the 4K telly's were trying to upscale the content and made it worse.
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:04 pm
It's not the fact the TV is 4K compatible that is causing the old content to look poor; it just looks poor on the particular model of TV you purchased (it's a budget model, so you're not going to get high end performance).

I have a 4K TV in my living room, and old content looks better than any prior TV I've owned.

Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:00 am

My TV is a 2021 model. It is a 55 inch Samsung Q80T.

I paid $1,097 for it. It features 3 HDMI ports. That model was second from top-of-the line for 4K Samsungs in that screen size at the time, bested only by the Q90T.

Flat panel television technology is ever evolving. I have no idea if current day Samsung models compare favorably or unfavorably from a performance standpoint.

I strongly suggest reading reviews at rtings.com (yes, that unusual URL is spelled correctly!) to see what will work best for your viewing environment and budget.

One downside to that site is I've not yet seen any reviews for retailer house brands such as Insignia.

I think Hisense, Insignia, Toshiba, and Amazon's Fire TV may be worthy of consideration. I don't know if Westinghouse's budget TVs are any good, but I believe those do feature the ROKU interface you crave.

If you are willing to give TCL another chance, their Q6 QLED can be had for $348 at amazon.com right now.

Best Buy has a 55 inch Pioneer online for $239.99 right now ($110 off).
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Taco

Post by Taco » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:10 pm

I might look at that TCL on Amazon. I was at the Walmart today and they had a 43" Hisense 4K for $228. Might consider it.
For it is a human number

Taco

Post by Taco » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:24 am

Walmart now has a TCL 43" for $176. Budget yes, but the price is great. Maybe 4K would look better on a smaller 43" screen vs a 55" screen.
For it is a human number

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:52 pm

Taco wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:24 am
Walmart now has a TCL 43" for $176. Budget yes, but the price is great. Maybe 4K would look better on a smaller 43" screen vs a 55" screen.
You would probably perceive little if any difference, at least on a set from the same maker.
The better "look" people seem to take notice of is that provided by HDR, best displayed on OLED screen.

kager

Post by kager » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:01 am

Perhaps 480 content will always look better to long-time HD beholders on a 720p set than upconverted on any higher res set.

My daughter had a FHD TCL Roku TV lent to her in between moves; it wasn't OLED quality, but performed fine (I also found the TV setup itself and integrated Roku rather slick and intuitive).
"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic