Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Latest Windows 10 update adds Spotify to Startup, even if you previously had it disabled

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
bmw

Latest Windows 10 update adds Spotify to Startup, even if you previously had it disabled

Post by bmw » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:58 pm

This is the kind of thing that IMO should be ILLEGAL. Spotify is already pre-installed as part of Windows 10, and by default, it is disabled in the list of programs that automatically launch when you turn on your PC.

Or rather, WAS disabled. With today's latest update, suddenly all of my Windows 10 computers have decided that Spotify needs to launch and be open when I turn my computer on. So I have to go back into the startup list and re-disable it.

Annoying as hell.

km1125

Re: Latest Windows 10 update adds Spotify to Startup, even if you previously had it disabled

Post by km1125 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:27 pm

Geez. Thanks for the heads-up. I stop most of the updates by setting the network connection to "metered", but some still slip through!

kager

Re: Latest Windows 10 update adds Spotify to Startup, even if you previously had it disabled

Post by kager » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:24 am

How is your OS sourced and versioned?

None of the WX Pro or Enterprise systems at our company have Spotify preinstalled, much less added to startup.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:48 am

kager wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:24 am

None of the WX Pro or Enterprise systems at our company have Spotify preinstalled, much less added to startup.
Straight from Microsoft's Windows 10 Creation Tool. Pro version. I had it magically appear active on at least 3 different computers yesterday.

kager

Post by kager » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:07 am

bmw wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:48 am
kager wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:24 am

Straight from Microsoft's Windows 10 Creation Tool. Pro version. I had it magically appear active on at least 3 different computers yesterday.
Interesting.

I wonder if there is some privacy / consumer setting that triggers it getting installed in the first place... (but not badly enough to go hunting for it, since it thankfully doesn't seem to have bitten us.)

I remember MS's calling it quits on its Groove (rhymes with Zune :blink) music service and pushing their dozens of subscribers over to Spotify, but that was some years ago... maybe they are renewing the push now that 22H2 of WXI is out...

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:47 am

This is false. I downloaded 10 on my desktop. No Spotify to be found. You need to check your setup menu more thoroughly. Uncheck the box.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:13 am

Spotify also automatically began running an active session for me when I began Windows. Started about a week ago until I disabled it again.

Bull Shannon

Post by Bull Shannon » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:00 am

I'm pretty sure there's a checkbox somewhere during setup/installation of Windows 10 that lets you decide whether or not to install Spotify.

But even if you manually install Spotify, it will start automatically when you log into Windows. You have to go into the settings and manually disable that, which I find annoying even as a regular Spotify user.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:00 pm

Leave it to Microsoft to add an unnecessary irritant to the user experience!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:49 pm

Huh, nothing like that happened when I upgraded to Monterey or any version of my OS.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:04 am

I had Spotify installed by default on a recent cell phone that I got. just use the free version, and every now and then I search for a song that I like.

kager

Post by kager » Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:44 am

'Feature Release' 22H2 for Windows 10 was released earlier this month...
Windows 10 22H2 is not a massive release and it only comes with a scoped set of features, including:
  • The option to receive important notifications when focus assist is on. Focus assist is like a do not disturb mode that hides notifications.
  • Restoring functionality for Windows Autopilot deployment scenarios that are affected by the security mitigation for hardware reuse.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/m ... t-we-know/

A more detailed list of 'new features' in WX 22H2 is here:

https://pureinfotech.com/windows-10-22h2-new-features/

I have installed 22H2 on several work and personal machines with no ill effect. In fact, I perceive a more smooth-running computer after running the update; fewer times when the fan kicks in or ratchets up, and less delays using browsers with hundreds of tabs open. YMMV.

One thing is certain:

Spotify?

Still not a thing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic