Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

google chrome

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
Turkeytop

google chrome

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:18 pm

I've been having a lot of issues with my computer lately. When I go online to look for an answer, they seem to have a common denominator. They all suggest I may be using an outdated version of chrome and I need to get the latest version.

How do I do that?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

TC Talks

Re: google chrome

Post by TC Talks » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:41 pm

It usually updates automatically. You have an old computer, try Firefox.

However websites are increasingly alienating people with older equipment by using new web scripts. They typically don't like working when you block them from gathering data from your computer like cookies.

My fight with that stuff all the time on super Media driven sites.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:58 pm

Just click on the 3 dots in the upper-right, go to HELP, and then ABOUT GOOGLE CHROME. This in and of itself will force an update, assuming you're running Windows 7 or newer. It will also tell you which version you're running. Currently at version 105.

If you're running Windows Vista or XP, you can't update past version 49, in which case you're better off with Firefox 52.9 ESR.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:22 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:58 pm
Just click on the 3 dots in the upper-right, go to HELP, and then ABOUT GOOGLE CHROME. This in and of itself will force an update, assuming you're running Windows 7 or newer. It will also tell you which version you're running. Currently at version 105.

If you're running Windows Vista or XP, you can't update past version 49, in which case you're better off with Firefox 52.9 ESR.
I have a four year old Dell laptop with windows 10. I just did what you told me and it now says I have Version 105.0.5195.127.

But my issues have not resoled. So it must be something other than chrome causing my problems.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:53 am

Echoing TC, I'd recommend having one of your kids put Firefox on there. Will save you a lot of headaches in the future.

take this job and shove it

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:17 am

thatonedude wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:53 am
Echoing TC, I'd recommend having one of your kids put Firefox on there. Will save you a lot of headaches in the future.
Yes. Use Firefox. Also a couple of things if you or your help can figure out how to do:

1. Enable App Tracking Protection in Firefox.

2. Another thing I also do every few weeks is clear out the temp files as best as I can. Go to the command prompt, get into the root directory and type "del *.tmp/s/q" without the quotes. (be patient, this often takes 5-10 minutes). There will still be temp files that call themselves protected. But this does seem to speed up my machine when it's acting sluggish.

When you start using Firefox, frequently hit the Clear Cache button on the top.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:08 pm

So, I upgraded the Chrome. Now, I've lost some of my bookmarks. Others are still there, but are corrupted somehow and I can't open them.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:50 pm

I think you have malware or perhaps memory modules in your PC are starting to die. Chrome should not be doing that.

Dell does make some pretty lousy PCs - I had a chipset die on a desktop PC of theirs that was only 30 months old - so it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it's a hardware issue.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:46 am

Firefox or nothing. I only use Chrome if I HAVE to do so. Google spies like crazy.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic