Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

OnStar

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
Turkeytop

OnStar

Post by Turkeytop » Sat May 07, 2022 3:20 pm

Got reconnected to OnStar recently to take advantage of a promotional offer.

Now, instead of a real person, the user interacts with a robot. However, I've found a way to beat it. If you mumble or just speak gobbledygook, it hands your call over to a real person

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

moldyoldie

Re: OnStar

Post by moldyoldie » Sun May 08, 2022 5:00 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 3:20 pm
Got reconnected to OnStar recently to take advantage of a promotional offer.

Now, instead of a real person, the user interacts with a robot. However, I've found a way to beat it. If you mumble or just speak gobbledygook, it hands your call over to a real person
I've found that trick works with most any automated phone system. Some days I have the proverbial frog in my throat -- "I'm sorry, I didn't understand you. Please stay on the line while we connect you with a customer service representative."

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

kager

Post by kager » Sun May 08, 2022 9:08 am

India much?

Sometimes an automated response system is easier to understand.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun May 08, 2022 10:31 am

kager wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 9:08 am

Yes. But does it understand us. One day I was looking for directions to an address on Amber Court. It kept trying to send me to Hamburg New York, about 140 miles from here.

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Mon May 09, 2022 7:04 am

kager wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 9:08 am
India much?

I'll preface this by saying I've never tried it. Several friends say if you can get to the Spanish help desk, they are bilingual and easy to understand.

I agree that often (dare I say always with T-Mobile and Comcast) you can't understand anything they are saying. With both, I have to ask for more repeats than a broken record.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:34 am

So, I used the OnStar a bit when we were in Florida. After we came home, I kept it because I was working on an election campaign and it helped me to navigate in unfamilliar parts of the city.

Yesterday I called in to cancel it. Told her that with gas prices so high, I needed to cut my driving costs. She put me on hold for about a minute and came back and offered me the next three months for free.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:43 pm

I bought a year of Onstar last year. The problem is that it failed after my battery died in September. Figured it would work better after having the module reprogrammed, but the idiots at the Saab shop replaced the module and said "call On star to fix it." Call Onstar, and they couldn't reset it to make Onstar work. My XM radio also disappeared as well. Stupid shop couldn't fix that and said, "Are you sure you had XM standard in this vehicle and not added on?" I basically told the guy that it's literally on the original sticker. He said he would have to go reset the radio. Being I had already spent two hours at the shop getting my brake light and headlight replaced (I have the Xenon lights requiring the bumper to be removed for a ballast replacement), I decided to give my local guy a chance. So, I have no Onstar and no XM.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:00 pm

And it still doesn't recognize 'Quanicassee' (the name of a village in the thumb).

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon May 01, 2023 4:49 pm

Had to take my wife to a medical appointment in a part of town with which I'm unfamiliar.

So I asked OnStar to take me to the address 111 Waterloo St.

It soon became apparent it was leading me in the wrong direction, When it announced "You have arrived at your destinarion, on the left." I was actually at 667 Waterloo St.

I turned the car around and started driving in the direction from which I had come. I once again asked to be directed to 111 Waterloo St. This time, it took me to 111 Waterloo St. We entered the building and walked down the hall to the office of the clinic.

The office was closed and in darkness. I sign on the door said "We have moved to 667 Waterloo St, the address from which we had just come.

How do they do That? In requesting directions I didn't name the clinic, only the address.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun May 07, 2023 5:56 pm

paul8539 wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:00 pm
And it still doesn't recognize 'Quanicassee' (the name of a village in the thumb).
Try Quanikaze. Did you ever see those houses? LOL.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

syntheticexctasy

Post by syntheticexctasy » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:06 am

Have never used it. The equipment in my brand new 2015 traverse is too outdated to use with the current system 🤷

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic