Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Packet Problems With Smart TV

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
Bryce

Packet Problems With Smart TV

Post by Bryce » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:50 pm

I just purchased a new 75 inch smart TV. I love it. Picture, colors and sound is beyond my expectations. However, when watching a movie via 5 G wifi, about two times during each movie I experience several seconds of sound coming un synced and pixilation in the picture.

Is this common or something I need to work on? TV problem or WIFI problem?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

craig11152

Re: Packet Problems With Smart TV

Post by craig11152 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:59 am

I'm no expert and won't pretend to be. Can you hardwire it to an internet connection to eliminate the wifi? If that fixes it then you know.
My smart tv is hardwired so I skip the wifi part.

I no longer directly engage trolls

kager

Post by kager » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:01 am

Congrats on the new panel.

I'd echo Craig's advice... go Ethernet if you can. WiFi is convenient, but has so many variables that affect performance and security...

If it's no-go on the wired connection, look into firmware/driver updates for the TV (and router if you own it.) Be sure to read up on the available updates in comments sections before implementing - as in many things, newer does not necessarily mean better. (I upgraded the firmware on one of my Sony TVs and immediately regretted it. But Sony doesn't offer a reversal / downgrade option...)

If you own your router(s), you could spend some time isolating the WiFi networks in your home so that the TV is the only streaming device on the SSID you're using it on (which is a must for so-called wireless security devices). Trial & error with radio bands and channels may affect performance as well.

You could also use something other than the guts of the TV for streaming - Roku or AppleTV, for instance - to eliminate any inadequacies with the TV itself.

Finally you could... reconsider wired connection.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:44 am

Thanks for the advice guys. Think I'll go with the wired approach, that makes the most sense to me and it's probably the easiest install for me too!

Thanks!

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:47 am

The wired connection is really a good and easy troubleshooting step if it's available to you. You're using two wireless connections in series (5G and WiFi), and either one could be causing an issue if there's interference on any of the frequencies it's using at the time.

On WiFi, many current devices have two choices... 2.4GHz or 5GHz. Using one or the other might also be a better option than just letting the devices pick what they find.

Deleted User 15716

Post by Deleted User 15716 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:45 pm

Bryce wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:50 pm
I just purchased a new 75 inch smart TV. I love it. Picture, colors and sound is beyond my expectations. However, when watching a movie via 5 G wifi, about two times during each movie I experience several seconds of sound coming un synced and pixilation in the picture.

Is this common or something I need to work on? TV problem or WIFI problem?
With the TV we had before this one (it was a Vizio), we had to go find a booster modem. Same issues as you're having. This house is old, thick plaster walls. We set the booster in the kitchen, modem is in a back room. Fixed the problem.
The booster we got was Almond brand. Got it at a yard sale and it worked well. Now it's in the attic to give better coverage to the front porch. It's one of the two on the right or bottom in this picture:

https://www.securifi.com/rg/products

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:36 am

Will this also work with a dumb TV?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:44 am

If a hardwired connection to your actual modem or router is not a possibility, a good plan "B" is to have a WiFi range extender plugged into a wall outlet near your TV, and then run a hardwire ethernet cable from the TV to a port on the WiFi range extender.

I use that precise setup for my desktop PC, and it works great! My download speed is nearly double what it would be if I were using my USB WiFi dongle to wirelessly connect to my modem/router in the basement. (My PC was purchased in 2015.)

My desktop PC sits on the main level of my home.

5 GHz will almost always offer much faster download speeds than 2.4 GHz. I have Xfinity internet service, and their 5 GHz speeds are often triple their 2.4 GHz speeds.

Check the incoming internet connection itself by running speed tests from your smartphone in various places throughout the house. Typing "test my internet speed" into any Chrome browser window will do the trick. Ookla's Speedtest app is also really good. For reliable 4K movie viewing via Netflix, etc., you probably will want at least a 25 Mbps connection reaching your TV, preferably 50 Mbps or higher.

When running the speed test, keep an eye open for the "packet loss" stat. Any packet loss greater than 0.0% could lead to brief pixelation on the TV. Packet loss could occur if there is signal loss in the cable running into your home through which broadband access is delivered, if there is RF band congestion (try switching WiFi router channels, although most routers will automatically choose the least congested / best performing channel by default), or if your router is running outdated software. Sometimes, a simple reboot of the router can clear up issues of this sort.

The worst ISP by far, in most instances, is AT&T. Their speeds can vary tremendously by neighborhood. In some cases, their maximum available download speed for a home connection is less than 10 Mbps. My parents use them, and their connection usually tops out at just over 6 Mbps even though they are on the so-called (get ready to laugh) "high speed elite" plan. I did some research, and after quite a bit of digging, they are receiving exactly the speed AT&T promises for that zip code.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:18 am

Seems like some "smart" TVs aren't so "smart".

I have a Sony KDL "smart" tv. Hooked a 1TB USB drive to it to stream some movies and when it's hooked up the TV will go through periods where it won't respond to the remote control at all, even though we're not using the content on the drive, just watching some OTA content. Goes "stupid" for a few minutes every five minutes or so. I'm guessing it's scanning the disk or something during that time, but there's no indication of what it's doing. I haven't tried to stream content from the Internet while I've had that drive hooked up, but I wouldn't be surprised if I got periodic tiling either. I've had smaller USB drives (64GB) hooked up before and hadn't noticed an issue until now.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic