Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Advice Needed

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
km1125

Re: Advice Needed

Post by km1125 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:54 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:22 am
kc8yqq wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:50 am
...As for me, I would buy a TV at a thrift store that had the VGA port in it.
Or I could just buy a new monitor. They aren't that expensive. But the computer is so old, I don't really want to spend anything on it. I might just put it away and use my laptop.
I guess I was under the impression it wasn't a MONITOR issue but a COMPUTER issue, as the COMPUTER didn't have the nuts to accept the tighten-down screws on the monitor's connector.

I'm not sure how replacing the monitor would change that.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:28 pm

km1125 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:54 am

I guess I was under the impression it wasn't a MONITOR issue but a COMPUTER issue, as the COMPUTER didn't have the nuts to accept the tighten-down screws on the monitor's connector.

Would a new monitor use a different type of connector than the old one?

I like the old computer because it's windows 7. The laptop is Windows 10 and I find it difficult to use.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:10 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:28 pm
km1125 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:54 am

Would a new monitor use a different type of connector than the old one?

I like the old computer because it's windows 7. The laptop is Windows 10 and I find it difficult to use.
It very well could, and that's why others had asked about other possible video connections on the back of your computer. However, if you have no other connections then it doesn't help if the new monitor has one of those other types.

kager

Post by kager » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:33 pm

You could always use the KISS principle...

https://www.amazon.ca/Cerrxian-Adapter- ... B072KN982G

If your monitor is small, you could scour the local thrift shops as others have suggested for something newer, larger, and potentially even cheaper than the above cable, for sure, and yes - having a VGA connection. I'm only _guessing_ yours is 15" or less, because a large period of time has passed since the last time I witnessed a monitor in which the VGA cable was 'integrated' into the unit.

CRT, actually...
TC Talks wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:06 pm
This stuff works on anything...

:rollin

Hardened mung.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:20 pm

It sounds like the standoff nuts for the video port got loose and probably fell out, or came out with the cable at some point. I've had that happen more times than I can count. I usually steal the standoff nuts from an unused serial port and replace the lost ones with those.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:01 pm

Many laptops do not have them.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

kager

Post by kager » Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:38 pm

the computer is so old, I don't really want to spend anything on it. I might just put it away and use my laptop.
Not directly stated, but this would suggest the computer is a desktop... and that would make Ed's recommendation an excellent one!

A trip to Radio Shack (or similar) would probably net you some new staffoffs if all are already in use...

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic