Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Which mobile phone MVNOs (mobile virtual network operators) are best?

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Which mobile phone MVNOs (mobile virtual network operators) are best?

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:56 pm

I would love to hear people's thoughts regarding cellular service MVNOs.

For those unfamiliar with that term, an MVNO is simply a third-party company that provides mobile phone, text & data service by purchasing bandwidth from Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, or in some parts of the country, U.S. Cellular.

Examples of MVNOs include Boost Mobile, Metro by T-Mobile, Cricket Wireless, Mint Mobile, Google Fi, Spectrum Mobile and Xfinity Mobile, among many others.

Nearly all MVNOs are subject to "de-prioritization" by the true network operator, meaning true Verizon subscribers (as an example) will always receive top notch speeds, audio quality and data response times on Verizon's network versus subscribers whose access comes by way of an MVNO intermediary (such as Visible).

Right now, I'm signed up for a free 3-month unlimited trial of Google Fi. Overall, it's been a good experience.

Pros:
- Good call quality.
- 5G access.
- No apparent coverage gaps; almost continuous 5G access along I-96 & I-696 all the way to Grand Rapids.
- Ability to roam, when needed.
- Spam call blocker is pretty effective (but not perfect). Much better than Verizon's useless spam blocker.
- Very easy account management through the app.
- Free use of Google VPN.
- Wi-Fi calling.

Cons:
- 5G does drop to 4G LTE at times, particularly indoors. Based on my recent drive along I-96, 5G service seems to generally only be reliable within a mile or at most two miles of each tower. However, as noted above, the towers are so densely packed that it really doesn't matter.
- 5G speeds, unless within a city block or two of the nearest tower, are only about as good as the 4G LTE speeds I enjoyed on my old phone when receiving "priority" access on Verizon's network.
- Pricing: for folks with only 1 or 2 lines on their plan, pricing is higher than many competing MVNOs if using data heavily.
- "Unlimited" data is subject to an extremely restrictive 256 kpbs filter once total data usage for the month reaches 22GB.

The only rural area I've tested the network far away from any freeways was between Wayland, Middleville and Gun Lake. I maintained a 5G signal pretty much the entire time, although it was often only in the ballpark of -100 dBm.

I was supposed to go up north last weekend, but that trip got canceled.

In this part of the country, Google Fi uses T-Mobile's network, Sprint's network and hotspots. If using a Pixel phone, the phone automatically switches between the source that provides the best signal. If using a non-Pixel phone, I believe all users only have access to T-Mobile's network.

Once my free Google Fi trial runs out, I'm contemplating switching to one of the following two Verizon MVNOs:
- Xfinity Mobile
- U.S. Mobile

Visible is more expensive, does not offer roaming, and I believe they also do not permit international calling, unless it is to Canada, Mexico, or a couple areas of the Caribbean. So, they are out of contention.

thatonedude

Re: Which mobile phone MVNOs (mobile virtual network operators) are best?

Post by thatonedude » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:05 pm

I've heard good things about Ting, but since Dish swallowed them up I doubt they're as good as they were...

Xfinity Mobile might be best, MW. Pretty sure you can include it with your regular Xfinity bill too.

take this job and shove it

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:10 pm

We use Total Wireless, which is an MVNO off Verizon's towers. Four lines with 100GB shared 4G for $100/month. Great deal compared with Verizon rates and the service meets our needs, no complaints. We rarely hit the data cap (think maybe once or twice in three years), and additional rollover data is $5 for 5GB. I've built it up to 63GB in reserve just in case we need the extra.

Calls and data are pretty much solid within Verizon's footprint (they have their null areas as all carriers do). 4G downloads around 25-30Mbps. Slower than straight Verizon service I'm sure, but still decent. Total also has a points program I've used to redeem add-on data and a couple months of no-charge service. All in all we're satisfied with it.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:26 pm

FWIW, the Spectrum and xFinity offerings are no less than the comparable offerings right from Verizon. They are not subject to "deprioritization" or any other impacts that some of those other listed services might. Both those services were part of a structured "rebranding" agreement nearly (over?) a decade ago in exchange for some bandwidth and a "promise not to compete" in the wireless world. Somehow they legally got around the "collusion" aspects but that's basically what it is.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:05 pm

I had Google Fi for a little over 2 years. I was not overly fond of coverage and I didn't like monitoring my data to keep my price down
I switched to Visible 3-4 months ago. We are at $30 a month with 3 phones and should be at $25 soon.
I like the coverage and that each phone on the plan pays separately. If someone doesn't pay it just means my bill goes up $5 for that month.
Roaming and International don't matter to me but I understand if one travels overseas regularly it would matter.

I no longer directly engage trolls

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:35 am

Google Fi (which uses T-Mobile and Sprint towers around these parts) had two fairly small but noticeable "no coverage" zones in Lake County when I traveled last weekend & early this past week. These were away from major arteries such as US 10 and M-37.

Google Fi only seems to offer roaming ability for emergency calls.

I've also discovered that many MVNOs have gotten lazy at updating their IMEI number databases to capture newly released phones, which could pose an issue for folks looking to switch service shortly following purchase of a new phone (such as myself).

My phone (a Pixel 5a) was purchased unlocked. It is GSM and CDMA compatible and works on 4G and 5G frequencies (other than mmWave) utilized by all three major carriers. The fact my IMEI number does not yet appear in the databases of Verizon Prepaid, Xfinity, U.S. Mobile and AT&T is bullshit, in my opinion.

One of the MVNOs in an online forum, Republic Wireless, stated to concerned subscribers or would-be subscribers it is currently in a moratorium with regard to adding new IMEI codes due to a system overhaul of some sort.

Perhaps I should've purchased the Samsung A42, A52, or S20 FE or last year's Pixel 4a instead! Those other phones are sold by many different carriers and MVNOs directly whereas the Pixel 5a - at least for the time being - is only directly available from Google.

Hopefully, the IMEI situation will be fixed soon.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:46 am

Mint Mobile this week is offering three months of completely free service when signing up for six months of service (basically, 3 paid months + 3 free months).

This offer appears to be good on all data plans.

Mint uses T-Mobile's network.

I believe 10 GB of monthly 4G/5G monthly data, unlimited text and unlimited calling is only $20 for a single line at regular price. So, with 3 months free, a full six months would cost just $60!

My free Fi trial is expiring in about two weeks. I will probably give Mint a try. At those cheap prices, I have little to lose!

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:45 pm

I buy relatively inexpensive phones, $200-$350 and pay upfront. I hope to get 24 months plus out of them. When they start to misbehave is when I think about a new carrier. I pick a carrier then pick a phone that is compatible.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:56 pm

I've gone in the opposite direction on one level - I like buying unlocked phones. That way, I can test different carriers at will. I do like to pay upfront.

I'm with you, though, on price. I paid $449 for my current phone but received three full months of free Google Fi unlimited cellular service. That same phone can be had right now for $399 (Pixel 5a).

The phone prior to this one was in use for four years, and I paid about $300 for it (after $50 trade in credit for an even older phone). Still a decent phone but had to upgrade for work.

I have trouble picturing myself ever paying $750 or $1000 for a smart phone.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:08 pm

Mint Mobile is offering unlimited data, calling and texting for new and returning customers for $15 a month for 3 months prepaid. Great deal! I just signed up. I think that offer is valid thru July 4 weekend.

I had been using Ting since early May. Not bad for the money! With 1GB of 5G/4G data, my most recent total monthly bill, taxes and fees included, was less than $17. That's regular price for them. Each additional 1GB of data is an extra $5 per month. Deprioritization does seem a bit more severe on their service versus Mint, and the Ting mobile app has a very dated and excessively basic interface (some functions require a visit to their web site).

I might try Tello next. If I can get my damn IMEI added to Verizon's database, then Visible, Xfinity, U.S. Mobile, Republic and Verizon Prepaid might be worth a look.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:15 am

Another quirk I've noticed when comparing Mint to Ting:

Mint seems to do a better job automatically switching my tower connection from 5G to 4G (LTE) whenever the latter offers a more consistent signal and faster data speed.

On Ting, I was on 5G much more often, but inside my house, the 5G signal sucks. Often it is less than 115 dBm. This often meant data download speeds of under 10 Mbps. Granted, that's not terribly important, since I typically use Xfinity wifi inside my home.

I will say call clarity was quite good on Ting.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:02 am

I have little to add to my comment in October about Visible except I continue to be satisfied for the $25 price.
My wife has Verizon which Visible piggyback's on and I can only remember one instance where I wondered if I was being "punished" compared to my wife's phone in the moment.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:04 am

Good way to check is to type "test my internet speed" into a web browser window on both your phones at the exact same time or to use the Speedtest app from the Google play or the Apple app store.

Indeed, I've read some good things about Visible. For many folks, it's probably the best high data option from a value standpoint on Verizon's network.

There are some use cases, though, where U.S. Mobile or Xfinity may be better. Visible is supposedly deprioritized much more severely during high traffic periods than U.S. Mobile and Xfinity, for example. So, if consistently fast data speed is of high importance, U.S. Mobile or Xfinity may be preferable.

One downside I read about U.S. Mobile is taxes, fees and surcharges are not included in their quoted rates, and the sum of those expenses tends to be a few dollars higher per line on their service than most other MVNOs.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:14 am

I have an app on my phone that shows speed, strength and tower location.
If the seeming discrepancy between my phone and hers became regular I will certainly load the app on her phone too and see what comes up.
If there is one thing about Visible I'm not fond of is I can't seem to see how much data I actually use since it's unlimited.
Makes it hard to consider a cheaper plan with a cap if I don't know how big a cap I need.
When I was with Google Fi I stayed under the cap 99.9% of the time. But I worked at it and made a conscious effort to do so. It's nice to not care anymore. Now if I want to stream video away from WIFI my only concern is battery life not data.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:51 pm

If using an Android phone, you can go into your settings menu, then select "Network & Internet," and then click on the name of the SIM or eSIM you are using for mobile data, to see data usage.

In my case, the data range shown aligns with my billing cycle. Cannot guarantee that will be true in every case. In my particular instance, I have 25 days left in my billing cycle and have used 492 MB of data so far.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic