Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

New Desktop

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
craig11152

New Desktop

Post by craig11152 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:24 pm

Its time to replace my old desktop which is about 10 years old.
I'm not a gamer, mostly surfing the Internet and watching YouTube/ Netflix/ Prime video.
I do want two monitor capability.
I'm hoping to pay $300-$500 max without any monitors.
Keyboard and mouse optional.
Just looking for any advice, help, tips, etc. What to buy, where to buy, what too look for in specs, what to avoid in specs. Anything would be appreciated
I am a windows guy. Don't want to learn a new OS.

Here is a link to the specs of my old machine. It served me well but twice in recent months I have had to do things to make it work. Things that involved a black screen, white letters and lots of things over my head that a friend helped me through.
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02995511

I no longer directly engage trolls

TC Talks

Re: New Desktop

Post by TC Talks » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:32 pm

Buy a Chromebook, there is no OS. If you're like me all you need to do is access the internet, nothing is faster without viruses or any hassle. I just bought a HP 15-in laptop for $212.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:19 pm

I own and run a tech shop. Message me. I'll hook you up.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:45 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:32 pm
Buy a Chromebook, there is no OS. If you're like me all you need to do is access the internet, nothing is faster without viruses or any hassle. I just bought a HP 15-in laptop for $212.
I tried a Chromebook once and returned it to the store. Seems you can't do anything with as a stand alone device. Have to be online to use it for anything.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:12 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:45 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:32 pm
I tried a Chromebook once and returned it to the store. Seems you can't do anything with as a stand alone device. Have to be online to use it for anything.
That is absolutely correct, and it's very relevant to many people who simply need to get online for all of their computing needs.

A Microsoft based PC is really an Enterprise tool these days. They require expert technical assistance it's very difficult to do your own configuration settings, if you're not part of an established Network they push updates in a very disruptive way. I use an Apple computer. I ownn one PC merely to access legacy data.

I have moved my entire office to Apple computers. Since 2013 I have needed technical assistance 0 times. When I owned PCS I was working on them at least once a quarter.

These days, I set my clients up with Chromebooks unless they need specialized software that is not available cloud-based. It's a quarter of the cost and 0 tech support.

I have one client and wants to go tablet-based. That will be an interesting Adventure, but I bet it works out for them.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

kc8yqq

Post by kc8yqq » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:36 am

For a place to buy, Micro Center (real close to I-75/14 Mile in Madison Heights) is where I go. They have reasonable priced name brand refurbs that last for years.

Here's a link to the store: https://www.microcenter.com/site/stores ... ights.aspx.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic