Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

To use...or return

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
Mark Schirripa

To use...or return

Post by Mark Schirripa » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:02 pm

I have two of these cords: VGA/HD15 Male Plug 15 pin to 3 RCA Audio AV Cable Adapter for HDTV PC DVD

I bought them on Amazon.

They looked as though they could connect my laptop computer to my 30-year-old RCA television. They didn't...at least they didn't do it very well.

I'm just a regular guy, not a tech guy. In fact, I can't even put a picture of the cords on here. I can just paste the link (above).

Should I return these or is there a use for them for a regular guy?

Turkeytop

Re: To use...or return

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:33 pm

To post an image, Paste the link into your post Then select (highlite) the link.

After you have selected it, go to the top of the field where you type your post. From left to right there are icons for Bold, Italics, Underline, Quote, code, list, list, list Insert image. Click on insert image. Go to the bottom of the page and hit Preview. You should see your image

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Mark Schirripa

Post by Mark Schirripa » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:08 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:33 pm
To post an image, Paste the link into your post Then select (highlite) the link.

After you have selected it, go to the top of the field where you type your post. From left to right there are icons for Bold, Italics, Underline, Quote, code, list, list, list Insert image. Click on insert image. Go to the bottom of the page and hit Preview. You should see your image

OK. Thanks....again (ha).

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:38 pm

If I can do it anyone can. I'm probably the most technically inept user of this board. They make fun of me because I don't have a cell phone, use a microwave oven or listen to online streaming.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:15 am

Send them back, that won't work for your pre-HDTV.

Pick this up instead for video: https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Composit ... 08DCNBZG2/

For audio, you'd need this (or similar): https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-105597 ... 0094A1F3S/

Wellllll... la de frickin da

Mark Schirripa

Post by Mark Schirripa » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:31 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:15 am
Send them back, that won't work for your pre-HDTV.

Pick this up instead for video: https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Composit ... 08DCNBZG2/

For audio, you'd need this (or similar): https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-105597 ... 0094A1F3S/
Hey! Thanks. Is there any purpose at all for the cords that I have now?

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:49 pm

Yes.

It could be used to send the VGA output to a TV set that has component input jacks (an HDTV). Look at the wire colors on the cable you bought to get them to "lineup" as in the photo below. The cable you bought has the wrong color connectors on it ... but the wires are probably correct. Typical component cables use the green-blue-red standard pictured.

The back of your set probably looks like the set of empty connectors (yellow - red - white) labeled Video In 1 below.

By the way, it's getting harder every day to find new TVs with component in jacks, it's cheaper to manufacture with just HDMI.

Mark Schirripa

Post by Mark Schirripa » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:01 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:49 pm
Yes.

It could be used to send the VGA output to a TV set that has component input jacks (an HDTV). Look at the wire colors on the cable you bought to get them to "lineup" as in the photo below. The cable you bought has the wrong color connectors on it ... but the wires are probably correct. Typical component cables use the green-blue-red standard pictured.

The back of your set probably looks like the set of empty connectors (yellow - red - white) labeled Video In 1 below.

By the way, it's getting harder every day to find new TVs with component in jacks, it's cheaper to manufacture with just HDMI.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post this. I'm trying to post a picture of the back of my TV but the pic is not a link; it's on a flash drive. I have instructions on how to do this with a link but not a flash drive image. I'll keep trying. Thanks again.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:37 pm

Wasn't there already a thread on this?

kager

Post by kager » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:25 pm

km1125 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:37 pm
Wasn't there already a thread on this?
Actually, I believe this may be #3... or seems like it.

Odd thing is, the connectors themselves would suggest just composite video and audio (silly - VGA doesn't carry audio, does it?)... the cables they're on the end of suggest RBG, but unless there's some sort of diagram included, it just looks like a conundrum.

If you can get your $$$ back, do it.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:41 pm

Mark Schirripa wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:01 pm
Robert Faygo wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:49 pm
Yes.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post this. I'm trying to post a picture of the back of my TV but the pic is not a link; it's on a flash drive. I have instructions on how to do this with a link but not a flash drive image. I'll keep trying. Thanks again.
You can't upload an image directly to this board it has to be through a link.

Would it be possible to find an image of a TV like yours using google?

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:13 pm

Those are most certainly RGB despite the wrong choice of plug colors. And to correct Mr. Faygo, using that connector to connect a laptop to to a component input (or for that matter, to connect a VGA signal to anything) is a no-go. Not only are the color spaces different between yPbPr (component) and RGB, but you also need a sync signal. Standard VGA coming out of a modern PC or laptop has both a horizontal and a vertical sync signal (typically referred to as RGBHV).

That cable is intended to be used in the reverse direction - namely, to connect a device with a component output such a DVD player to a device with a 15-pin VGA port with yPbPr support, such as older projectors or older plasma TV's. I am actually using a cable just like that one to connect a DVD player to a Panasonic plasma set that has a VGA port on it (in this case, the port supports both component signals as well as RGBHV signals, simply by changing a menu option).

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:06 am

Thanks for the correction!

Bottom line for the OP is still to send those things back and save the $

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic