Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Home Security

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
Turkeytop

Home Security

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:37 pm

I'm not talking about protecting my home from break in. I just want something that will alert me if someone is outside. Several times they've broken in to my car while we're sleeping. This week, someone stole my bicycle out of the car port. It was a Norco, a premium quality Canadian brand and worth a lot of money I had it locked up with a sturdy cable lock. They cut the cable with bolt cutters.

I bought a cheap alert system at Harbor Freight, but it requires the criminal to cooperate by getting within 2 feet of the sensor. What else is available? I can't use anything that requires a cell phone. I don't have one.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

km1125

Re: Home Security

Post by km1125 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:51 pm

A lot of the security cameras now come with motion detection, which can also be set to email or text you when they sense motion. Not only would you know when someone is out there, but you'd also capture it on video.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:29 pm

A text or e mail wouldn't be helpful when I'm asleep. What I need is a sensitive, long range motion sensor That triggers an audible signal inside the house. The down side would be false alarms when a squirrel or the neighbour's cat gets too close.

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:17 pm

A couple of pit bulls and a few guns would work fine. And no cellphone required. That’s my security system.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:42 am

Not sure on your phone, but on many you can set text notifications and priorities so that only certain texts go off just like an alarm, but regular texts just have whatever default notification.

You might look into remote driveway alarms. Some are just beams that have to be crossed and some are just motion detectors like security lights. They have a remote receiver that you can place anywhere within a reasonable distance (I've seen some with 500 and 1000 ft ranges).

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:03 pm

My phone is on the kitchen wall. I don't think it does text.

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:01 pm

Turkeytop,You may have to use a carrier pigeon. But seriously dude I give you credit for not having a cellphone, mine has been nothing but a pain. I had a smartphone and got rid of it a few months ago, now I have a dumb phone it’s just a Nokia 3310 no data for internet just a simple phone. It also has FM Radio that’s it. But kudos to you, this technology stuff is getting to crazy. And besides Google and the data company’s can go to hell for sharing my personal information, so I won’t give them what they want my money and my information.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:37 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:03 pm
My phone is on the kitchen wall. I don't think it does text.
OK, I missed that part about 'not having a cell', but you could use any kind of tablet or computer too... whatever you're using to access this site.

Also, you can do a search for "motion driveway alarm" and you'll get all sorts of possibilities, some with cameras and some without. They reach 1/4 mile and can have multiple sensors if you're trying to cover multiple areas or triangulate where someone is at.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:56 pm

Cheap solution?

Get a motion detector light, screw in a plug adapter into socket and plug in a flat extension cord, run through window and hook it to light and/or a buzzer.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:00 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:37 pm
I'm not talking about protecting my home from break in. I just want something that will alert me if someone is outside. Several times they've broken in to my car while we're sleeping. This week, someone stole my bicycle out of the car port. It was a Norco, a premium quality Canadian brand and worth a lot of money I had it locked up with a sturdy cable lock. They cut the cable with bolt cutters.

I bought a cheap alert system at Harbor Freight, but it requires the criminal to cooperate by getting within 2 feet of the sensor. What else is available? I can't use anything that requires a cell phone. I don't have one.
No cell phone required... Not only will you know a thief is outside, THEY will know you know. You most likely will have to skip the Sig Sauer part, but frankly, with the first part, it's not needed...

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic