Acceptable registrations in the queue through October 17 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Linux: who here uses it?

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
thatonedude

Linux: who here uses it?

Post by thatonedude » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:58 pm

Anyone a user of Linux? I installed openSUSE on an old MacBook a few months back, and I'm impressed at how well it performs. I had used Linux before on some old machines, but it was always a "beginner" distro like Linux Mint or Ubuntu. openSUSE blows both of those out of the water, as far as I'm concerned. Stable, and very efficient.

What do you guys use?

Take anything people say with a grain of salt, a lime wedge, and maybe a bottle of tequila.

Turkeytop

Re: Linux: who here uses it?

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:26 am

I use Windows. Our two sons are both computer geeks and they swear by Linux.

RingtailedFox

Re: Linux: who here uses it?

Post by RingtailedFox » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:26 am

I use Windows on my primary machine (an Asus laptop), but I have a much older desktop tower from around 2008 that runs Linux... and I run Windows Subsystem for Linux for when I need to try stuff out without wanting to turn on a second machine. The Linux machine (and WSL configuration) are used mostly for coding and data recovery.

I find Linux is pretty damned useful for breathing life into older (often *much* older) hardware and giving old laptops and desktops a second life, even if they're just used as internet terminals for youtube and email, and for LibreOffice... The hardware requirements are just so much more reasonable than Windows for whatever reason.

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic