Acceptable registrations in the queue through October 17 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Biggest tech device flops of the past 25 years!!!

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
User avatar
TC Talks
Posts: 3647
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:41 am

Re: Biggest tech device flops of the past 25 years!!!

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:29 am

I would have to go with the QR code for consumers. It works great for UPS but I don't know anyone using QR codes anymore.

Image

The other big one would be in car GPS systems. They become obsolete almost a minute you drive the car. Most can't be updated without a CD or an expensive cellular contract for your vehicle.

It seems most vehicles have gone to Android auto or Apple carplay


© 2020 TC Talks Global Inc. All Rights Reserved

Deleted User 15342

Re: Biggest tech device flops of the past 25 years!!!

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:26 pm

Not sure what this next one is called could be Super-Tenna, but it was a plug-in adapter box that has a coax cable to hook into you television antenna input and turns your electrical wires in the house into a television antenna. Mine never worked as a matter of fact I purchased it from a “As seen on TV” commercial. How about K-Tel Records that’s another winner. One more just came to mind it’s “The Rabbit” that sent a cable signal to other televisions in your house so you wouldn’t have to pay an extra charge to the cable company, the only problem with “The Rabbit” was you had to have the same channel on every television that it was hooked up to.



User avatar
SolarMax
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:59 pm
Location: 313

Re: Biggest tech device flops of the past 25 years!!!

Post by SolarMax » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:27 pm

Lucky615 wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:26 pm
Not sure what this next one is called could be Super-Tenna, but it was a plug-in adapter box that has a coax cable to hook into you television antenna input and turns your electrical wires in the house into a television antenna. Mine never worked as a matter of fact I purchased it from a “As seen on TV” commercial. How about K-Tel Records that’s another winner. One more just came to mind it’s “The Rabbit” that sent a cable signal to other televisions in your house so you wouldn’t have to pay an extra charge to the cable company, the only problem with “The Rabbit” was you had to have the same channel on every television that it was hooked up to.
The "Super-Tenna" in one form or other was around since the fifties. Used to advertise in pulp magazines with a photo of the giant Jodrell Bank radio astronomy antenna and headline "Turn your house wiring into a GIANT TV ANTENNA." Basically it was a box with a 300 ohm antenna output pigtail, and a two prong AC plug. Inside was a capacitor to isolate the voltage from the antenna line. Ridiculous concept in theory and practice, dangerous, too.
IIRC I think the "Rabbit" was a part 15 device, a modulator that sent a channel 3 or 4 signal from your cable box or a VCR etc. and could be picked up off-air by nearby sets.



CurlyHoward
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:50 pm

Re: Biggest tech device flops of the past 25 years!!!

Post by CurlyHoward » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:41 pm

Digital TV. It reduced the number of channels one can easily receive free over the air.
Those little dipshit FM transmitters 20-25 years ago that were mostly meant to play Discmen over car stereos before CD players in cars were standard-always had static for me even on open channels.



User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4379
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: Biggest tech device flops of the past 25 years!!!

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:28 am

Stadia, Clippy in Microsoft Office and the Super-Tenna are all terrific examples!

I remember seeing advertisements (directing viewers to call a 1-800 order line) for the Super-Tenna. The (lousy) actors during the commercial would boast about they how receive a clear picture "on every single channel!" The advertisements ran quite often during the early 90's & mid 90's.

The fact actors as opposed to actual consumers gave "testimonials," and the fact only simulated TV pictures were used during those commercials, were dead giveaways that the product was a dud.

https://blog.solidsignal.com/tutorials/ ... n-antenna/


Rock 95.5 in Chicago is the worst sounding major market rock station in the history of corporate radio.

kager
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:10 pm
Location: GPS lost

Re: Biggest tech device flops of the past 25 years!!!

Post by kager » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:37 am

Image


"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Deleted User 15342

Re: Biggest tech device flops of the past 25 years!!!

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:41 am

The 49 MHz walkie talkies, what a waste of cheap electronics. But one cool thing you were able to hear nearby telephone conversations from wireless phones. I think the channels were 49.830, 49.845, 49.860, 49.875 and 49.890 if I remember correctly.



Deleted User 15342

Re: Biggest tech device flops of the past 25 years!!!

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:54 pm

Don’t forget the DVD/CD rewinder, Don’t forget to rewind. :rollin
Last edited by Deleted User 15342 on Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.



User avatar
Turkeytop
Posts: 4301
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: Biggest tech device flops of the past 25 years!!!

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:56 pm

Dial up modem.



kager
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:10 pm
Location: GPS lost

Re: Biggest tech device flops of the past 25 years!!!

Post by kager » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:40 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:56 pm
Dial up modem.
Well, they're a device, and for the most part - no longer relevant. Not a flop.


"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

User avatar
SolarMax
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:59 pm
Location: 313

Re: Biggest tech device flops of the past 25 years!!!

Post by SolarMax » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:08 pm

CurlyHoward wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:41 pm
Digital TV. It reduced the number of channels one can easily receive free over the air
What?? :eek



ftballfan
Posts: 549
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: Biggest tech device flops of the past 25 years!!!

Post by ftballfan » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:04 am

kager wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:40 am
Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:56 pm
Dial up modem.
Well, they're a device, and for the most part - no longer relevant. Not a flop.
It wasn't a flop at all. Technology advances made it obsolete. Also, the dial-up modem is older than 25 years old.



Deleted User 15342

Re: Biggest tech device flops of the past 25 years!!!

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:06 am

SolarMax wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:08 pm
CurlyHoward wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:41 pm
Digital TV. It reduced the number of channels one can easily receive free over the air
What?? :eek
What, What??? It added not reduced.



km1125
Posts: 999
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:09 pm

Re: Biggest tech device flops of the past 25 years!!!

Post by km1125 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:20 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:04 am
kager wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:40 am
Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:56 pm
Dial up modem.
Well, they're a device, and for the most part - no longer relevant. Not a flop.
It wasn't a flop at all. Technology advances made it obsolete. Also, the dial-up modem is older than 25 years old.
Even those with acoustic couplers were not flops, but a necessary evolution of the technology. I'd love to have one of those today, but I'm not sure how I'd fit a cellphone to it. :D



User avatar
Turkeytop
Posts: 4301
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: Biggest tech device flops of the past 25 years!!!

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:41 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:04 am
kager wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:40 am
Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:56 pm
Dial up modem.

It wasn't a flop at all. Technology advances made it obsolete. Also, the dial-up modem is older than 25 years old.
So am I.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic