Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Windows 10 upgrades are still available for free!

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
Turkeytop

Re: Windows 10 upgrades are still available for free!

Post by Turkeytop » Mon May 25, 2020 10:35 pm

Someone posted here once that there's an upgrade available that makes Windows 10- look and feel like Windows 7. That's the one I want.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu May 28, 2020 12:14 pm

You need to download and install a program called CLASSIC SHELL. That brings back the Windows 7 start menu. There are some other tweaks you can do as well but this is the main one.

kager

Post by kager » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:19 pm

Whatever you do, don't accidentally click 'Download & Install' on that 'Windows 10 Feature Update, version 2004' lurking in Update & Security.

6 months in the MS oven, and it still ain't done.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:33 am

Start10 by Stardock is another option you may wish to consider, Turkeytop.

I used a predecessor - "Start8" - on my laptop, which came preinstalled with Windows 8 - and it did a pretty good job replicating the menu layout & general themes of Windows 7.

It should be noted that Windows 10 - at least Windows 10 Pro - is nowhere nearly as cumbersome to use as Windows 8. In my opinion, it shares more in common with Windows 7 than Windows 8. Your PC will boot to a "normal" looking desktop with a start menu, just like Windows 7. The idiotic "metro" interface is kaput!

One feature I really like about Windows 10 is the white search box in the taskbar. Makes it extremely easy to access computer settings and apps.

Windows 8 was created with touchscreen laptop monitors and Windows Phones in mind. Both, of course, proved to be colossal flops in the marketplace.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:52 am

Windows XP is still better then Windows 10 if you need it to work NOW! Ever missed an important deadline because Windows 10 decides to do a forced update?

Apple products are just as annoying as Windows 10, with un-bypassable Apple ID requirements.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:16 am

I switched to Apple 15 years ago, it was like shedding a part time job and I haven't seen a computer shop since.

Microsoft is more of a virus than a platform these days. I understand that enterprise needs it, but stand alone users are fools to still have Windows.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:43 am

Apple likes to take too many features away:

iPad 86's the keyboard.

iPhone 86's the headphone jack.

iPhone 86's USB port.

iMAC 86's HDMI port.

I think they must have taken the cut-n-paste link feature away from your computer.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:16 am

audiophile wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:43 am
Apple likes to take too many features away:

iPad 86's the keyboard.
No generation of iPad ever had a keyboard to 86. Touchscreen user interface in a single-unit form factor is kind of the point of the tablet concept. You can use a Bluetooth keyboard if you need to. Keyboards are alive and well on desktops and laptops.
iPhone 86's the headphone jack.
Agree. Dumb move
iPhone 86's USB port.
iPhone never had a USB port. Went from early 30-pin to present "Lightning" connector
iMAC 86's HDMI port.
For the subset of users who do need an external HDMI device with an iMac, many inexpensive solutions.

Recall another "take away," when, in the early 90s, there was hue and cry, torches and pitchforks, when the then all-new iMac dropped with NO FLOPPY DRIVE. This was not, as some had predicted, a harbinger of the End of Days (at least not that time). Nor did the "take away" of optical drives in Mac laptops cause a disturbance in The Force.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic