Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Need headphone advicex

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
Deleted User 24

Need headphone advicex

Post by Deleted User 24 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:42 am

Audio geek pals, I am thinking of buying headphones for my exercise walking. Here's what I am looking for:

1. Must work well with low-impedance output of phone.
2. On-ear or over-ear design. No mo' ear buds.
3. Closed back. I want the sound isolation.
4. Foldable preferred, but I could live without it if I had to. Carrying case is a plus, not required.
5. No more than about $100.
6. Sold in a brick and mortar store. I want to try before I buy.

And ... go!

Turkeytop

Re: Need headphone advicex

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:08 pm

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:46 pm

Remanufactured Bose cans in white at Great Lakes Crossing. $244 with tax new, $76 with tax rebuilt and on sale. Don't love the color but I can live with it. Everything I wanted. Don't usually love the Bose sound, but I couldn't pass on the deal.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:04 pm

Vic Doucette wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:46 pm
Remanufactured Bose cans in white at Great Lakes Crossing. $244 with tax new, $76 with tax rebuilt and on sale. Don't love the color but I can live with it. Everything I wanted. Don't usually love the Bose sound, but I couldn't pass on the deal.
I'd be interested in seeing them. Can you post a pic?

I thought one of your criteria was lees than $100.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:27 pm

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/hea ... s_ii_white

Refurbished and on sale. $89, less 20% on sale.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:00 pm

I'd have a look at the gold standard of affordable closed back cans... The Sony V6

The first pair of these I purchased was when I was working audio in field recording. I knew a guy that was a very, very good audio guy and asked his advise. He told me out of all the headphones he used, including some hideously expensive beyerdynamic's, the Sony's were his favorite. Sound-wise as well as holding up out in the field, these things are comfy and near bullet-proof. They are essentially that same as the Sony MDR7506, which again you'll find used ubiquitously by folks that make their living doing sound. I've owned two pair that have been in service for many, many years and sound as good as the day I bought them. Only wear are the ear pads and replacements are easy to source. The only caveat is the sound profile is flat and dead-on accurate, which is great for taking sound but if your source material isn't up to snuff the flaws will be quickly be apparent.

Thank me later...

Last edited by Lester The Nightfly on Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:08 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:08 pm
LOL.... Grado's pretty much use that same design language. :lol

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:06 am

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:00 pm
I'd have a look at the gold standard of affordable closed back cans... The Sony V6

The first pair of these I purchased was when I was working audio in field recording. I knew a guy that was a very, very good audio guy and asked his advise. He told me out of all the headphones he used, including some hideously expensive beyerdynamic's, the Sony's were his favorite. Sound-wise as well as holding up out in the field, these things are comfy and near bullet-proof. They are essentially that same as the Sony MDR7506, which again you'll find used ubiquitously by folks that make their living doing sound. I've owned two pair that have been in service for many, many years and sound as good as the day I bought them. Only wear are the ear pads and replacements are easy to source. The only caveat is the sound profile is flat and dead-on accurate, which is great for taking sound but if your source material isn't up to snuff the flaws will be quickly be apparent.

Thank me later...

I love these things... You can almost run them at speaker level.

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:14 am

I bought Sony for the kid last Christmas. She's been thrilled and the headphones see daily gym use. I found them discounted to $99 https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158WC700N ... Black.html

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:53 pm

At this time of year, when I'm wearing a toque, I prefer ear buds. I had some from Sony that I really liked. Lasted me for years.

When we were in Florida a few weeks ago the left side quit working. I went in and bought some RCA brand for less than $10 at Family Dollar. They sounded not bad. But now they've broke already. Gotta go out and get some Sony.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:21 pm

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:00 pm

Thank me later...

I used both Sonys at The Miracle League of Michigan and loved them in that context, but that wasn't what I was looking for to improve my spirited mall-walking sessions. I wandered into the Bose store just to see what they had. I wouldn't have bought the headphones at full price; they were way out of my price range. The remanufactured cans were less than half the price of new ones; 20 percent off on top of that made it an easy choice. The sound is more than adequate for my needs, Bluetooth pairing was a snap, they're comfortable and the battery life is impressive. Additionally, the white finish blends well with with my hair.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:57 pm

I used both Sonys at The Miracle League of Michigan and loved them in that context, but that wasn't what I was looking for to improve my spirited mall-walking sessions. I wandered into the Bose store just to see what they had. I wouldn't have bought the headphones at full price; they were way out of my price range. The remanufactured cans were less than half the price of new ones; 20 percent off on top of that made it an easy choice. The sound is more than adequate for my needs, Bluetooth pairing was a snap, they're comfortable and the battery life is impressive. Additionally, the white finish blends well with with my hair.
Glad you found a pair that meets your needs and if you look good in the process that's a cherry on top of the cake! Wear them in good health.

KeenerGold

Post by KeenerGold » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:17 pm

Ever seen the frequency response on those V6's? Painfully bright. There's nothing flat about them.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:33 pm

KeenerGold wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:17 pm
Ever seen the frequency response on those V6's? Painfully bright. There's nothing flat about them.
Seems like every weighted and averaged freq. chart I've seen puts them within 3 db-ish flat across the spectrum. If you listen to Beats I'm sure the Sony's sound bright, but there's a reason folks that do sound for a living consider them a reference tool.
Different horses for different courses...

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:36 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:53 pm
At this time of year, when I'm wearing a toque, I prefer ear buds. I had some from Sony that I really liked. Lasted me for years.

When we were in Florida a few weeks ago the left side quit working. I went in and bought some RCA brand for less than $10 at Family Dollar. They sounded not bad. But now they've broke already. Gotta go out and get some Sony.
Got these Sony at a store today for $9.98 C. Should last another decade. The chances of these lasting ten years are probably much greater than my chances of lasting ten more years.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic