Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Advice Needed

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
Turkeytop

Advice Needed

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:39 pm

A couple of years ago I bought a cheap HP laptop. I hated it right from the start. It was difficult to use. It had a temporary version of Windows installed. When it expired after the three or six months, I just let it go. It was then completely useless. I put the computer away and completely forgot about it. And I mean completely. It passed entirely from my mind.

I had to give my head a shake today when I found a laptop in the back of a closet and wondered where it came from. Then it all came back to me.

Now, I'm thinking I should try to sell it an get some of my money back out of it. Here's my question. If someone gets it and installs windows, will they have access to all my files and information, all my photos etc? If, as I expect, the answer is yes, is there a way I can delete all of that first?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

TC Talks

Re: Advice Needed

Post by TC Talks » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:53 pm

Yes, you should remove your data and wipe the machine. Consider just pulling out the hard drive and sell it without a drive.

If you have another computer, you can create a usb thumbdrive which you can make a bootdrive with a formatting program. Its complicated.

If the machine is too old and too cheap (check the going rate on ebay) you might just run a drill through the hard drive and recycle it.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:57 pm

It's only two years old. I was hoping I could sell it in usable condition without selling all the data. I do some consulting and advocacy work and there could be some confidential client information there.

So it might be best just to destroy it

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:02 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:57 pm
It's only two years old. I was hoping I could sell it in usable condition without selling all the data. I do some consulting and advocacy work and there could be some confidential client information there.

So it might be best just to destroy it
Unless you can reformat it, you would be selling it with data on it. I doesn't boot at all? Any version of Windows has a reformat utility.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:12 pm

It boots up OK. I just don't have access to anything. Where would I look for this reformat feature?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:14 pm

What does it boot up to? Is it a version of windows or just a prompt?

Give me a model and I can do some research

― Noam Chomsky

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:18 pm

It just looks like the normal desktop with the icons. The start menu is there, you just can't open any programs like word, excel etc.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:20 pm

Ok watch this video and see it is works

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzcsP-r-sBE

― Noam Chomsky

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:26 pm

This might be closer to your laptop...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pwrbclr25dA

― Noam Chomsky

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:32 pm

I'm finding that I can select individual files and documents and delete them. Will that completely remove them from the computer?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:09 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:32 pm
I'm finding that I can select individual files and documents and delete them. Will that completely remove them from the computer?
No, deleted files can be restored. I would recommend a factory reset.

― Noam Chomsky

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:21 pm

I'm trying to do it as per the video. But then it tells me I'm running out of disc space and I have to delete files. I've already deleted all my files.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:29 pm

Let me see if I can troubleshoot that. It is probably unpacking the setup files and you don't have enough space. Do you have the option of setting up files on a USB thumb drive?

― Noam Chomsky

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:44 pm

The only thing I see is uninstalling Office and other programs on the computer. Since you can't use the, removing them would be fine.

― Noam Chomsky

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:46 pm

Our two sons are both tech professionals. I'd better just wait and get one of them to help me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic