Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Why don't large sites have a "Top" button?

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
Ed Joseph

Why don't large sites have a "Top" button?

Post by Ed Joseph » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:38 am

The little tab with an up arrow on the lower right to return to top of page. Ebay has it. They're one of about three sites I've seen with one. I don't understand why most pages do not have one. It could be done with HTML v1 code, as I've always put one on any pages I edited since 1996. FWIW, I still do HTML is Notepad++ and hardly use anything but straight HTML code. Hell, I coded a "Top" button on my Renegade BBS forum's longer pages in 1993!

Hand coding a web page via ANSI text editor... they should still teach that in any kind of internet courses IMO. I haven't done much coding for anything major in probably ten years. But I always despised the convoluted mess "quick-editors" like Front Page made. I can only imagine what the code for a page on fakebook must look like, and it's an abyss of drivel, I'm sure. But it just seems to me, especially in this mobile era, that optimized code should be a top priority. Obviously, it isn't. That's probably why so many sites are downright losing a race against semi-frozen molasses!

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

SolarMax

Re: Why don't large sites have a "Top" button?

Post by SolarMax » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:36 pm

I'd imagine sites don' t typically bother to embed "Top" button code because it's a pretty easy user action with a simple keystroke ("Home") on desktop keyboards. For mobile, at least on iOS, a tap at the top of the screen is the "Top" command. I'm so used to those methods that even when I"m on a page that has a "top" button, I never use it!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:19 pm

SolarMax wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:36 pm
I'd imagine sites don' t typically bother to embed "Top" button code because it's a pretty easy user action with a simple keystroke ("Home") on desktop keyboards. For mobile, at least on iOS, a tap at the top of the screen is the "Top" command. I'm so used to those methods that even when I"m on a page that has a "top" button, I never use it!

You've taught me something I never knew. Where is this "Home" key positioned on the keyboard?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:28 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:19 pm
You've taught me something I never knew. Where is this "Home" key positioned on the keyboard?
On a full-size desktop keyboard, it's in the cluster of keys between the alpha keys and numeric keypad

INSert | HOME | PgUp

DELete | END | PgDn

These are above the up/down/left/right arrow keys.

Compact keyboards and laptops might not have these dedicated keys but usually a fn (Function) equivalent is mapped to an existing key. So, I guess a "Top" key would be helpful for those users.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:21 am

SolarMax wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:28 am

On a full-size desktop keyboard, it's in the cluster of keys between the alpha keys and numeric keypad

INSert | HOME | PgUp

DELete | END | PgDn

These are above the up/down/left/right arrow keys.

Compact keyboards and laptops might not have these dedicated keys but usually a fn (Function) equivalent is mapped to an existing key. So, I guess a "Top" key would be helpful for those users.
Found it. How did that get there? It wasn't there before.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:44 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:21 am
Found it. How did that get there? It wasn't there before.
Yeah, someone broke in and put those keys on my keyboard! I'll bet it's the Feds... Or Brother Stare!

Actually, though, I knew this worked in editors and such, but I don't think I ever tried it on a web browser. :oops: :_

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic