Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Straight Talk vs. Verizon

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
Deleted User 4520

Straight Talk vs. Verizon

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:11 pm

How can Straight Talk offer such cheap data packages? Why won't the major carriers bring their prices in line to match Straight Talk?

Straight Talk:
25GB for $45/month
Unlimited for $55/month

I have Verizon and my phone bill with my discount from work makes it around $60/month for 5GB and take about $20 off that for line access.

F-Squared

Re: Straight Talk vs. Verizon

Post by F-Squared » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:28 pm

Straight Talk is simply an MVNO. It doesn't have its own network, it uses other companies' networks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:00 am

In my personal opinion, if you're not leaving Metro Detroit, or you will almost always be in a urban area, just go with the cheapest out there.
Straight Talk, Boost, Cricket, whatever.
If you often wander or live where not many folks are at, get Verizon or ATT&T.

syntheticexctasy

Post by syntheticexctasy » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:04 am

straight talk and other mvnos leverage the big four networks, and also limit top speeds.

you can buy several different straight talk sim cards, they correspond with which networks you'll be using:

att/tmo

or

vz/sprint/us cellular

most MVNO on VZ's network are really a good value if you can handle being throttled below 10mbit/s at all times. I used one called Rok Mobile for a while, was a great deal. for $40/mo, you had unlimited data talk and text, plus their rok music app (which I think is now defunct).

Straight talk isn't a bad deal. Try and stick with the vz/sprint sims though, ATT and Tmo both have crap coverage in comparison (unless you stick to urban environs)

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:23 pm

We use Total Wireless, another MVNO that contracts with Verizon. The three-line plan we use comes with unlimited call/text plus 20 GB of shared LTE data for $85/month. You can purchase add-on data at the rate of $10 per 5 GB, and it rolls over as long as you maintain service. I can only recall one month when we came close to using up the initial 20 GB, although I keep a little data banked up just in case. Verizon is as good as it gets in terms of call coverage, which is our main criteria. These pocket computers can provide a lot of perks, but first and foremost we want a phone to work as a....phone.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic