Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Review: Cheap $17 portable radio with 7-band SW from Menards; how well does it work?

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
CK-722

Cheap $17 portable radio with 7-band SW from Menards; how well does it work?

Post by CK-722 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:06 pm

Thanks. That Satellite 2400 is apparently just about impossible to photograph without reflections. I wonder if a Polaroid filter would work. You might have to experiment with the filter rotation, if that even works. Maybe lay the radio horizontally and use the Polaroid filter. I think that would definitely work.

People always say the Panasonic RF-2200 is the best radio for AM BC. I wonder why they don't talk about the higher end models.

I wonder if you had a radio with excellent RF Intermodulation/Image/blanketing rejection, IF narrow selectivity, AND DSP, if it would be the ultimate radio.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

CK-722

Re: Review: Cheap $17 portable radio with 7-band SW from Menards; how well does it work?

Post by CK-722 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:41 pm

This one is apparently difficult one to photograph also. Note this is at an angle, and is clear. I was disillusioned to find out that it had no RF Amplifier Stage, after thinking I wanted one for years.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

bmw

Re: Review: Cheap $17 portable radio with 7-band SW from Menards; how well does it work?

Post by bmw » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:51 pm

The most interesting AM radio in my collection is a console radio - the Kenwood Basic T2. Why is it interesting? Because it has a variable AM bandwidth slider...I believe it works by mixing the output from 2 different internal filters - one at 3khz width and one at 12khz width (as best I recall from years ago when I took it apart).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic