Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

streaming radio and data

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
craig11152

streaming radio and data

Post by craig11152 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:16 am

I bought a $20 set of bluetooth earbuds. Like an idiot I didn't think it through with my main goal.
My main goal was to eliminate my plug in earbuds while listening to the radio through my phones FM connection while at the dog park.
The idiot part was not remembering the plug in earbuds act as my antenna. So I need them plugged in either way.
So now I'm wondering if I stream my stations how much data does that use?
Does it matter that the 2-3 stations are talk, not music?...97.1 sports and WEMU and WUOM ?

At the moment its a bit moot as our plan is unlimited. But going forward we may go away from unlimited since most of that data is needed by a step-daughter who will be going on her own soon.

I no longer directly engage trolls

craig11152

Re: streaming radio and data

Post by craig11152 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:19 am

sidebar...how come as soon as I posted this it had 4 views?
Does Vladimir have that many minions ?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:36 am

craig11152 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:19 am
sidebar...how come as soon as I posted this it had 4 views?
Does Vladimir have that many minions ?
I notice that same thing every time I post.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:29 pm

The amount of data used really depends on the stream's bitrate, which is typically determined by the broadcaster, and to a lesser extent, the mobile app. Some apps will allow you to select the quality of the stream. Lower quality = less data. Music vs. talk doesn't make any difference.

I use TuneIn, Slacker, and StreamS for probably a combined 10-15 hours per month on mobile LTE, and I'm able to keep my data usage within my 6 GB plan. But whether or not I stay within my limits also depends on my data usage for other apps as well, so I can't be sure exactly how your streaming data usage fits into the equation.

Depending on the streaming broadcaster, I know TuneIn will allow you to select different bitrate streams. Slacker is typically high quality. StreamS seems to be low data usage with relatively high quality audio. For 97.1 The Ticket, you will need to use Entercom's proprietary Radio.com app, which I haven't used enough to be really familiar with it. When they moved off the TuneIn platform, I pretty much gave up on streaming Entercom stations (although they are available on StreamS).

Play around with it while you're still on an unlimited plan. From your original post, I gather you don't have an iPhone like I do. But see if your phone will allow you to track data usage by app.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:17 pm

I appreciate the feedback...very helpful

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic