Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Yammies aren't built so well these days...

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Yammies aren't built so well these days...

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:10 am

Revisiting my earlier posts regarding the 6 ohms vs. 8 ohms setting on my Denon S760H:

For now, I've settled on 6 ohms.

I certainly did notice a boost in speaker loudness at 8 ohms, and the AVR's heat emission was only mildly hotter at 8 ohms than at 6 ohms.

Here's the issue: for whatever reason, the 8 ohms setting seemed to make flaws in the Audyssey auto-calibration settings more audible. Treble in the voice range sounded harsh and high end treble gain is cranked too high. Such issues were noticeable when playing both spoken word and music content.

The prognosis on my RXV-683 isn't back yet; so I'm not yet certain I will keep the S760H. (I have until mid-April to return the Denon S760H for a refund.)

If I do ultimately keep the S760H, I will begrudgingly pay the $19.99 download price for the EQ app that allows me to tweak the Audyssey settings. If & when I tweak those settings in order to lower the treble gain (especially in the 8 kHz to 16 kHz range), I will then give the 8 ohms setting another try.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

billmich88888

Post by billmich88888 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:37 pm

what's the prognosis on your RXV-683

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:43 pm

I called the repair shop on Saturday. He's not done looking at it yet. He said to call back next Tuesday. (The shop is only open three days a week.)

I'm going to keep my new Denon. I'll only have him repair the Yamaha if it can be done at a price where I can make a profit selling the unit on eBay.

billmich88888

Post by billmich88888 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:02 pm

comcast has the worst customer service
Yamaha the best.

example.

My Yamaha was taken into the shop on Thursday March 7th. The service center just hasn't been able to get the part in.
After 30 days, I contact Yamaha, and they are just going to send me a brand new RX-A6A...the service center will ship the unit back to Yamaha. Zero expense to me.

Color me impressed....

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:11 pm

billmich88888 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:02 pm
comcast has the worst customer service
Yamaha the best.

example.

My Yamaha was taken into the shop on Thursday March 7th. The service center just hasn't been able to get the part in.
After 30 days, I contact Yamaha, and they are just going to send me a brand new RX-A6A...the service center will ship the unit back to Yamaha. Zero expense to me.

Color me impressed....
The production cost is so low, they will likely recycle it. Labor costs more... I doubt it will get refurbished.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

billmich88888

Post by billmich88888 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:52 pm

interesting, I would have guessed they will wait on the part themselves then sell it for 1/2 price (or whatever)

billmich88888

Post by billmich88888 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:15 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:10 am
Revisiting my earlier posts regarding the 6 ohms vs. 8 ohms setting on my Denon S760H:

For now, I've settled on 6 ohms.

I certainly did notice a boost in speaker loudness at 8 ohms, and the AVR's heat emission was only mildly hotter at 8 ohms than at 6 ohms.

Here's the issue: for whatever reason, the 8 ohms setting seemed to make flaws in the Audyssey auto-calibration settings more audible. Treble in the voice range sounded harsh and high end treble gain is cranked too high. Such issues were noticeable when playing both spoken word and music content.

The prognosis on my RXV-683 isn't back yet; so I'm not yet certain I will keep the S760H. (I have until mid-April to return the Denon S760H for a refund.)

If I do ultimately keep the S760H, I will begrudgingly pay the $19.99 download price for the EQ app that allows me to tweak the Audyssey settings. If & when I tweak those settings in order to lower the treble gain (especially in the 8 kHz to 16 kHz range), I will then give the 8 ohms setting another try.

you should read this

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-ampli ... r-switch-1

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:26 pm

I definitely will; thanks!

I finally picked up my old Yamaha from the repair shop. The power supply went bad (which certainly explains why I couldn't power on the unit) and had to be replaced.

I asked the technician if the issue was caused by a "short" or a power surge. He said neither. He attributed the issue to manufacture quality.

He said it was a very unusual issue. He and his partner suspected a host of other things before zeroing in on the power supply.

After googling, it seems this issue may not be as rare as he believes. Here's one example:

https://www.hifivision.com/threads/powe ... ver.90175/

Anyway, I'm happy with my Denon, which I'm keeping. I will put up the Yamaha for sale.

The repair cost me $170 total.

billmich88888

Post by billmich88888 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:47 am

and yesterday i picked up my brand new replacement unit from the shop. can't wait to re-hook it up this weekend

Yamaha has the best customer service

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:14 am

They did the right thing by replacing your A6A, since after all your full warranty period was still active. That's an expensive unit.

I just wish their build quality was as good as it used to be, especially with regard to their entry level receivers.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic