Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

President Thomas AM/FM Mobile CB

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
Calvert DeForest

President Thomas AM/FM Mobile CB

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed May 11, 2022 8:57 am

Released a few months ago, this is the first (and so far only) CB rig on the U.S. market for FM transmission under the new FCC guidelines. Depending on the success of this model, it will be interesting to see what additional manufacturers like Cobra come up with to follow suit.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Deleted User 15783

Re: President Thomas AM/FM Mobile CB

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Wed May 11, 2022 2:20 pm

There's been some discussions about FM CB on another blog I follow.
https://forums.radioreference.com/forum ... forum.138/
I'm thinking FM CB wouldn't be a bad idea for folks looking to keep in touch out in the woods, or somewhere with a lot of hills and valleys.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Fri May 13, 2022 7:45 pm

The advantage of AM is that you can hear if someone is trying to talk over someone else in an emergency. That is why the (older)aircraft radios in the 155 MHz band were all AM. Safety purposes.

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Tue May 31, 2022 10:34 am

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 8:57 am
Released a few months ago, this is the first (and so far only) CB rig on the U.S. market for FM transmission under the new FCC guidelines. Depending on the success of this model, it will be interesting to see what additional manufacturers like Cobra come up with to follow suit.
Are you (or anyone else here on Buzzboard) active on the CB band?
I myself did it when I was a teenager. Haven't listened to it in many years now.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:58 pm

I take my CB with me when I go on long trips. I may hear of a problem on the road this way, and be able to avoid it.

Years ago, I was going down to a conference down south. When I got to Knoxville, I heard on the CB that there was a big accident on I-40 and it would be blocked for several hours. That was the way that I was supposed to be going. I heard about it, looked at a map, and got around it.

syntheticexctasy

Post by syntheticexctasy » Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:41 am

In The Bleachers wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 10:34 am
Calvert DeForest wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 8:57 am
Are you (or anyone else here on Buzzboard) active on the CB band?
I myself did it when I was a teenager. Haven't listened to it in many years now.
I am indeed very active on Channel 20 (27.205). I have mobile rigs on two of my vehicles, as well as VHF/UHF units (I also use MURS and FRS quite a bit).

Right now it's down, but I also have set up a "reflector" on Zello - which patches through 27.205 for anyone that I allow into my zello group. The Zello software and PC handles all of the audio switching and key relay. It's actually a lot of fun.

It was located in Pontiac, soon to be relocated to Redford. There are actually a lot of people in the area active on channel 20 throughout oakland, livingston, wayne and genessee counties.

Channel 19 is very active east of telegraph and north of 8 mile.

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:49 am

syntheticexctasy wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:41 am
I am indeed very active on Channel 20 (27.205). I have mobile rigs on two of my vehicles, as well as VHF/UHF units (I also use MURS and FRS quite a bit).

Right now it's down, but I also have set up a "reflector" on Zello - which patches through 27.205 for anyone that I allow into my zello group. The Zello software and PC handles all of the audio switching and key relay. It's actually a lot of fun.

It was located in Pontiac, soon to be relocated to Redford. There are actually a lot of people in the area active on channel 20 throughout oakland, livingston, wayne and genessee counties.

Channel 19 is very active east of telegraph and north of 8 mile.
Thanks for the info.
I have some ham friends downriver that I believe hang out on MURS Channel 2.
Don't ask me the freq. In a list of MURS channels, it would be the second one down.
I talked to them a couple times on there, but it's been a couple of years now.

Is there a "hang out" channel for FRS?
For a little while a few years ago, there was some guys near me running obviously overpowered base stations and mobiles on FRS1 talking back and forth. I haven't heard them for awhile, so that may have died out.

syntheticexctasy

Post by syntheticexctasy » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:53 am

I don't believe there's a "hangout" channel per SE, but there are a few GMRS repeaters in the area (although you have to be licensed to use them. I've keyed up on the troy repeater a few times much to the dismay of the repeater owner :) )

They try to use pl tones which are easily defeated :)

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:27 pm

I have receivers that cover the CB band, but I never hear any activity around here.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

syntheticexctasy

Post by syntheticexctasy » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:57 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:27 pm
I have receivers that cover the CB band, but I never hear any activity around here.
CH20 is kind of comedic. Has kind of a "grumpy old men" type thing going on. One guy in Garden city and another in southfield that hate each other constantly going on and on :)

syntheticexctasy

Post by syntheticexctasy » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:57 pm

syntheticexctasy wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:57 pm
Turkeytop wrote:

CH20 is kind of comedic. Has kind of a "grumpy old men" type thing going on. One guy in Garden city and another in southfield that hate each other constantly going on and on :)

If you listen long enough you'll get both of their full names, phone numbers and full addresses LOL

in fact, I whipped a little NSFW website up just to screw with both of them (neither knows who I am, and it's fun that way :) )

southfieldwashywashy.com

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:06 pm

CB radios are about useless you are a trucker.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

syntheticexctasy

Post by syntheticexctasy » Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:19 pm

syntheticexctasy wrote:
syntheticexctasy wrote:
Turkeytop wrote:

If you listen long enough you'll get both of their full names, phone numbers and full addresses LOL

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:50 am

Channel 19 is the channel that truckers and others (including me) use when we are driving the interstates.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic