Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Need headphone advicex

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
FET-500

Re: Need headphone advicex

Post by FET-500 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:04 am

KeenerGold wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:17 pm
Ever seen the frequency response on those V6's? Painfully bright. There's nothing flat about them.
Yah, they're made for old people...and the Japanese are world famous for that. Show of hands, who can even hear past 10kHz.?

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:16 am

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:33 pm
KeenerGold wrote:
Ever seen the frequency response on those V6's? Painfully bright. There's nothing flat about them.
Seems like every weighted and averaged freq. chart I've seen puts them within 3 db-ish flat across the spectrum. If you listen to Beats I'm sure the Sony's sound bright, but there's a reason folks that do sound for a living consider them a reference tool.
Different horses for different courses...
MOST audio people that I have met were half-deaf. No offense but I bet that you can't hear the upper register of the Sonys. The Sony phones are mostly used because they're so very durable.

-3db., is considered the point where an audio signal is said to have "rolled off"; it's a long way from flat and usually denotes the extremes of the frequency response.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:04 pm

FET-500 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:04 am
KeenerGold wrote:
Yah, they're made for old people...and the Japanese are world famous for that. Show of hands, who can even hear past 10kHz.?
Only when I'm wearing my hearing aids. :blink

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:30 pm

I can't even remember where I bought these (at least 20 years ago), but these are hand-down the best sounding $25 headphones I've ever owned.

Jensen JF20 is the model.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:53 am

You will enjoy those Vic. I have been rough on a pair for over 5 years, they are sturdy.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:16 pm

LOL... I can still hear 10k, but the tininitus is a real bitch. I just proofed out an Optimod 8000 I had sleeping on the shelf here and I could hear to around 11.5k or so when sweeping tones thru it. Granted, the "test" jacks are *after* the preemphasis, so...

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:19 pm

Ed Joseph wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:16 pm
LOL... I can still hear 10k, but the tininitus is a real bitch. I just proofed out an Optimod 8000 I had sleeping on the shelf here and I could hear to around 11.5k or so when sweeping tones thru it. Granted, the "test" jacks are *after* the preemphasis, so...
You have tinnitus too? Welcome to the club. Mine comes from working 24 years in a really noisy plant. They manufactured fire alarm equipment. The entire day was a constant din of bells, sirens, horns and buzzers.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:53 pm

Between radio and working at the Jeep plant for ten years, the ringing is pretty extreme at times. Left ear is really bad, and follows my heartbeat like a heart monitor.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

KeenerGold

Post by KeenerGold » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:14 pm

KeenerGold wrote:
Seems like every weighted and averaged freq. chart I've seen puts them within 3 db-ish flat across the spectrum. If you listen to Beats I'm sure the Sony's sound bright, but there's a reason folks that do sound for a living consider them a reference tool.
:razz No Beats here. I'm partial to my Sennheiser HD6XX/650's.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:13 pm

KeenerGold wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:14 pm
KeenerGold wrote:
:razz No Beats here. I'm partial to my Sennheiser HD6XX/650's.
Those are great cans if you have $400 to spend rather than <$100 for the Sony's. I'm not sure they are really 3x better, (like the beyerdynamics my soundman friend used before switching over to the Sony's for day-to-day work) but Sennheiser does make a great product.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:44 pm

Obligatory bump; don't mind me.

Vic, how have the Bose been? I had a pair of Bose headphones a while back, and I thought they were good -- at the time. Upgraded since then, and honestly, they do not come close to what I remember them sounding like.

I'll give a run-through when it comes to the headphones I own. As you can tell, I'm partial to the budget end of things:
Koss PortaPro
Koss KSC75
Koss KPH30i (there's a reason why I own all of these, trust me)
Etymotic mk5 Isolator (it's an ety; great sound quality!)
KZ ZST (budget IEM; Chi-Fi is quite good)
SoundPeats TrueCapsule ($30 pair of wireless earbuds. Surprisingly decent sound quality...)

Still looking for the "perfect pair." That search seems neverending, but I'm willing to adjust my budget accordingly. The Sony's seem like they would be right up my alley; both the MDR-V6's and 7506's (good lord, that naming convention...)

take this job and shove it

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:13 pm

thatonedude wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:44 pm
Obligatory bump; don't mind me.

Vic, how have the Bose been? I had a pair of Bose headphones a while back, and I thought they were good -- at the time. Upgraded since then, and honestly, they do not come close to what I remember them sounding like.

I'll give a run-through when it comes to the headphones I own. As you can tell, I'm partial to the budget end of things:
Koss PortaPro
Koss KSC75
Koss KPH30i (there's a reason why I own all of these, trust me)
Etymotic mk5 Isolator (it's an ety; great sound quality!)
KZ ZST (budget IEM; Chi-Fi is quite good)
SoundPeats TrueCapsule ($30 pair of wireless earbuds. Surprisingly decent sound quality...)

Still looking for the "perfect pair." That search seems neverending, but I'm willing to adjust my budget accordingly. The Sony's seem like they would be right up my alley; both the MDR-V6's and 7506's (good lord, that naming convention...)
Given the price and the ease of use, I am a satisfied customer. I would never have paid full price for them.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic