Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

How radio chased away the next Howard Stern.

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
TC Talks

How radio chased away the next Howard Stern.

Post by TC Talks » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:23 am

He will be streaming, taking a global audience with him as radio places another nail in it's own coffin. Radio will never keep millennials and Gen Z with a baby boomer sensibility for programming.
“He treats his audience like they’re smart, which they are and they deserve to be treated like,” Finneas said.

Another way Sang deviated from the strict formatting of pop radio was by sprinkling in progressive political opinions. “To have queer voices on the air in Pensacola, Fla., and Mobile and Montgomery, Ala., I was in the most conservative places in America, right? And I won. I was a queer kid from New Jersey who shared my truth.”

Sang also pushed back against the strict playlisting most radio stations require, programming his show a little more eccentrically and holistically: “I never colored within the lines ever. I always went against the rules. I never asked for permission, I always begged for forgiveness.”

Occasionally, those decisions were met with resistance. “When you’re syndicated, you’re on 80 stations, you have 80 bosses,” Zolot said. “Those bosses have things they don’t want talked about on their air, and they’ll let you know.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/31/arts ... n-amp.html

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: How radio chased away the next Howard Stern.

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:17 pm

There's plenty of Howard Stern's radio chased away. I follow Dan Bell on YouTube. In addition to his abandoned explorations and documentaries, he hosts a wild podcast that is Howard Stern for gay people on Patreon. Don't get me wrong, I like Howard and Robin. However, the way they treated their staff by firing them lost me as someone who regularly listens. Dan Bell, an out gay Gen X'er, hosts the show with straight Boomer Rick Serra. It's great radio and lots of laughs through these horrible times. Dan knows lots of people from New York as well as musician Dee Lite("Groove is in the Heart") and Uffie. He was offered a job doing the morning drive from a Baltimore radio station. He turned it down because he didn't want to be tamed like Howard was with CBS Radio.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:41 pm

I don't think this conversation will gain much traction on the board as most of the people who are here are part of the listeners that want the entire technology to whittle away.

When you need an audience having decisions be controlled by old white men is really a bad idea. They are a significant minority these days.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:33 pm

Nobody is more enthusiastic about the medium of radio than I am. But do we really need another Howard Stern? :barf

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:52 pm

Zach Sang - the next Howard Stern? Give me a break.

Very little in common between the two in terms of show content and target audiences.

Zach Sang's show was geared to listeners of bubble gum pop music stations and had little if any controversial content. His show mostly aired on small market CHR/Pop stations as a way of saving on the expense of having to employ a local personality in a day part that generates little revenue. His attempt to position himself as some sort of maverick is amusing to me.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:02 am

And Stern is just crude and vulgar.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:49 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:17 pm
There's plenty of Howard Stern's radio chased away. I follow Dan Bell on YouTube. In addition to his abandoned explorations and documentaries, he hosts a wild podcast that is Howard Stern for gay people on Patreon. Don't get me wrong, I like Howard and Robin. However, the way they treated their staff by firing them lost me as someone who regularly listens. Dan Bell, an out gay Gen X'er, hosts the show with straight Boomer Rick Serra. It's great radio and lots of laughs through these horrible times. Dan knows lots of people from New York as well as musician Dee Lite("Groove is in the Heart") and Uffie. He was offered a job doing the morning drive from a Baltimore radio station. He turned it down because he didn't want to be tamed like Howard was with CBS Radio.
Dan's abandoned videos are pretty cool.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:43 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:49 pm
MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:17 pm
Dan's abandoned videos are pretty cool.
Yes, I have followed him since the Rolling Acres mall video. The podcast on Patreon is really worth $5 a month; you get 90% of the podcasts. If you do $10 a month, you get all of them. Plus, there’s exclusive videos including his documentaries: Go Go Motel, Margie & Scott, and Night Fifty and private live videos on YouTube. I love docs from independent filmmakers like Dan.

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:12 pm

You all can listen to this. You can't tell me that Dan Bell and crew aren't hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iav8eW53Ufg

Audacity sucks.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:50 am

My point is that the next Howard Stern isn't going to be an offensive type a zoo. That model is not interesting to the future.

Thinking about it more, the future is podcasts and Spotify. Radio would follow print into the grave, except print is doing podcasts and the things Gen Y and Z listen to.

― Noam Chomsky

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:40 pm

Zach Sang was never going to be a widely known household name or celebrity simply from being on radio. He *is* a talented broadcaster; I'll grant you that.

edj

Post by edj » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:21 am

Dan Bell was caught faking his motel series. He’s a fraud.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:33 am

edj wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:21 am
Radio is largely theater of the mind? How is that stunt any different than stunts pulled off by other morning shows?

― Noam Chomsky

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:55 am

edj wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:21 am
No, he passed off his "Trapped and Terrified" short film(an abandoned exploration style) release as a real but later admitted that it was theatrically done. It was so good though that most people didn't know the difference. The man has talent.

There is nothing fake about Another Dirty Room. Flea bag motels are really that decrepit.

Audacity sucks.

edj

Post by edj » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:14 pm

Some of them are real but he was caught faking at least one, and it’s not his short film.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic