Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Brian Williams leaving MSNBC

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
bmw

Brian Williams leaving MSNBC

Post by bmw » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:48 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/09/media/br ... index.html

I never watched him much on NBC or on MSNBC so I don't have much of an opinion of him either way. Sounds like he's leaving because he wants a better time slot.

Deleted User 15688

Re: Brian Williams leaving MSNBC

Post by Deleted User 15688 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:31 am

In 2015, Williams lost his credibility by an inaccurate story about his helicopter being hit by a grenade and was replaced by Lester Holt on the NBC Nightly News. When that happened it was never the same for Williams.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:27 pm

& that is our broadcast for this evening!!!

high fidelity

Post by high fidelity » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:09 pm

He is a funny guy, and I think he would make a decent late night host. Corden and Kimmel are stepping down soon.

thekman

Post by thekman » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:45 pm

high fidelity wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:09 pm
He is a funny guy, and I think he would make a decent late night host. Corden and Kimmel are stepping down soon.
In the book, The War For Late Night by Bill Carter, this was mentioned. NBC gave consideration to giving Brian Williams the Late Night program when Conan was taking over The Tonight Show.

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:35 am

high fidelity wrote:
... Corden and Kimmel are stepping down soon.
Something I did not know.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:19 pm

In The Bleachers wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:35 am
high fidelity wrote:
I know Corden is but I think Kimmel will stick around.

thekman

Post by thekman » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:43 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:19 pm
In The Bleachers wrote:
high fidelity wrote:
Every year Kimmel keeps claiming he is burned out, and might quit soon. Then he has a bunch of guest hosts in the summer. But then he keeps coming back. Not sure if he is genuine in his claims of burnout or if it’s just a contract negotiation tactic.

Kimmel has been a perpetual 3rd-place finisher in the late-night ratings. 5th place if you count cable TV, as Greg Gutfeld and Adult Swim typically top him. ABC probably should give serious thought to replacing him.

high fidelity

Post by high fidelity » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:52 pm

thekman wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:43 pm
radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:19 pm
In The Bleachers wrote:
high fidelity wrote:
Every year Kimmel keeps claiming he is burned out, and might quit soon. Then he has a bunch of guest hosts in the summer. But then he keeps coming back. Not sure if he is genuine in his claims of burnout or if it’s just a contract negotiation tactic.

Kimmel has been a perpetual 3rd-place finisher in the late-night ratings. 5th place if you count cable TV, as Greg Gutfeld and Adult Swim typically top him. ABC probably should give serious thought to replacing him.
Out of the 3 late night hosts at 11:35 pm eastern, I like Kimmel the best. Chelsea Handler has filled in for him and she said she would love to get back in the late night game. You're right, he gets lots of time off, especially in the summer. Late night shows do not have the influence or numbers they used to have back in the days of Letterman and especially Carson. Ratings are so splintered with a million choices out there. The numbers the late night shows get now would have got them cancelled 20 years ago. Conan O'Brien has said he will have an HBO Max show coming up at some point, but he has not said when.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:30 pm

YouTube beats any television programming for evening screen time. That's where the viewers went.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

kager

Post by kager » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:36 pm

I would have never pegged Brian Williams a late-night host.

It is just a matter of time before all hosts be femmes.

As far as the late night exits, I know it's been quite some time, and much of the true talent has already exited... still, I wonder whatever happened to that weirdo Craig Ferguson?

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

thekman

Post by thekman » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:18 am

kager wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:36 pm
I would have never pegged Brian Williams a late-night host.

It is just a matter of time before all hosts be femmes.

As far as the late night exits, I know it's been quite some time, and much of the true talent has already exited... still, I wonder whatever happened to that weirdo Craig Ferguson?
In that book, it said that Brian Williams is naturally very funny. He did lots of interactions with Conan and the SNL folks, since they were all there together at 30 Rock. And that everyone really thought he would do very well if he shifted to a late-night role. Of course, at that time he was either was the host, or heir-apparent, for NBC Nightly News. There was no expectation that he would ever lose that role in the future. And changing him to late night would then create a H*** new problem, needing a new host for Nightly News. So the thought of him hosting Late Night quickly dissipated. Ironically, that probably would not have been a concern in retrospect, since Lester Holt stepped into the role quite effortlessly.

I really liked Craig Ferguson. He hosted The Hustler, that summertime game show on ABC in 2020 and 2021. I thought he was great in that role. I think he has immense talent. Alas, ABC did not renew the show for this year.

I would love to see Ferguson return to late night. Or, going even further back, I would love to see Craig Kilborn, my favorite Daily Show host, return to late night TV. But there’s currently five white guys hosting awful late night TV these days. I can’t imagine a scenario where a female or minority is not given the gig to make awful late night TV as well.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:50 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:30 pm
YouTube beats any television programming for evening screen time. That's where the viewers went.
It's true. With Meet the Press and NBC Evening News on Youtube in clip format, I only turn the TV on for sports. That's coming to an end soon. Ditching cable this week and picking up ESPN+ and calling it good. My only concern is some of these football games going streaming only. My OTA setup is ready in my bedroom. Getting a Roku or Firestick for the living room and calling it good.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

thekman

Post by thekman » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:55 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:50 pm
Ditching cable this week and picking up ESPN+ and calling it good. My only concern is some of these football games going streaming only.
I find myself watching far less sports now. I know I could go out and find everything streaming somewhere. But lately I find myself not even caring enough to do that.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:58 am

thekman wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:55 am
MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:50 pm
Ditching cable this week and picking up ESPN+ and calling it good. My only concern is some of these football games going streaming only.
I find myself watching far less sports now. I know I could go out and find everything streaming somewhere. But lately I find myself not even caring enough to do that.
I am a Houston Texans, Houston Astros, Milwaukee Bucks, and Atlanta Braves fan. So, it's usually bad enough with cable much less not having it at all.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic