Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ken Jennings as Jeopardy! Host

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
thekman

Re: Ken Jennings as Jeopardy! Host

Post by thekman » Sat May 15, 2021 9:50 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:21 pm
I must say, Bill Whitaker is doing a splendid job. He's my new favorite of the guest hosts I've seen so far.
Agree! Bill Whitaker is very good. I still lean towards Mike Richards as my favorite, and think Ken Jennings was acceptable. But Whitaker is excellent! Definitely in my personal top 3 so far.

thekman

Post by thekman » Sat May 15, 2021 9:52 pm

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue May 18, 2021 8:25 pm

I don't know who the guy is this week, but I'm liking him. I guess he was champion a few years ago (2017?). I think he's got great delivery and a great pace. Keeps things interesting. Banter is good.

I liked Bill, but between his soft voice and pace, I could foresee myself falling asleep in episodes if I was the slightest bit tired.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Wed May 19, 2021 10:08 am

Bill was smooth, but he lost brownie points by not talking-up Alex on his last day on the show. Buzzy gets tiring fairly quick, but the contestants can relate to him. Still of a lot of talent yet to get their chance at hosting Jeopardy this summer.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed May 19, 2021 1:02 pm

Bill was nice and friendly and personable but was just a little monotone at times. Haven't watched Buzzy's episodes yet.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed May 19, 2021 4:56 pm

Wow, Buzzy Cohen may just be the best of the lot, even better than Ken Jennings! That nerdy Buddy Holly look only adds to the appeal. :D

Of those who followed Dr. Oz, Anderson Cooper is the only other guest host who cut the mustard...IMHO.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed May 19, 2021 9:30 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 4:56 pm
Wow, Buzzy Cohen may just be the best of the lot, even better than Ken Jennings! That nerdy Buddy Holly look only adds to the appeal. :D

Of those who followed Dr. Oz, Anderson Cooper is the only other guest host who cut the mustard...IMHO.
Anderson was great and had a similar style to Alex. I personally can't wait to see LeVar Burton.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Thu May 20, 2021 7:17 am

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 9:30 pm
.... I personally can't wait to see LeVar Burton.
Yeah. I'd like to take a good look at him. Like Whittaker, I had to Google him when I heard the name. I'm a little too young to remember Roots. I never was into Star Trek. And I guess for whatever reason I never caught Reading Rainbow.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Thu May 20, 2021 7:26 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 7:17 am
radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 9:30 pm
.... I personally can't wait to see LeVar Burton.
Yeah. I'd like to take a good look at him. Like Whittaker, I had to Google him when I heard the name. I'm a little too young to remember Roots. I never was into Star Trek. And I guess for whatever reason I never caught Reading Rainbow.
Judging by the reason so many people on the internet wanted him, there just may be a reason he'll be so good at hosting.

thekman

Post by thekman » Sat May 22, 2021 6:45 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 4:56 pm

I don’t think Anderson Cooper will warrant much consideration for the permanent gig, as he ended up getting the lowest ratings of any guest host.

https://www.nexttv.com/news/jeopardy-gu ... -they-rank

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun May 23, 2021 7:25 am

I think if they if they dive into those ratings deeper they find Anderson would be the only one with a high negative rating, at least so far (well, maybe Dr Oz too).

I wonder if part of Jennings higher rating was just general curiosity by viewers to see how Jeopardy "without Alex" would be regardless of who was hosting. Not knocking Ken, because I do like him in this role.

thekman

Post by thekman » Sun May 23, 2021 12:07 pm

km1125 wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 7:25 am
I think if they if they dive into those ratings deeper they find Anderson would be the only one with a high negative rating, at least so far (well, maybe Dr Oz too).

I wonder if part of Jennings higher rating was just general curiosity by viewers to see how Jeopardy "without Alex" would be regardless of who was hosting. Not knocking Ken, because I do like him in this role.
I considered that too, and it certainly might be the case, but Jennings did host for 6 weeks and did not have any serious erosion of ratings during that time. That’s pretty impressive. Of course, it also could have something to do with the fact it was the dead of winter and more people stayed in and watched TV.

A few of my coworkers are really into watching Jeopardy, and they universally seem to want Ken. I think most Jeopardy fanatics want to keep the hosting gig “in the family” so to speak. Having somebody connected with the show get the job rather than an outsider. Which I think reflects in the ratings, and gives a good chance for Jennings, Richards, or perhaps even Buzzy if his ratings are good.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Fri May 28, 2021 3:15 pm

Ken was just 'okay', just not quite the broadcasting voice yet. Buzzy knows the game well, but he doesn't make me want to come back and watch more. Other than the not so good Oz, most of the other hosts were fairly well polished, but I'm gonna withhold judgement until after Savannah and LeVar get their two weeks as hosts/hostesses to see who leaves the best impression.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:31 am

Damn, Mayim Bialik is aces! It's as if she was born to host Jeopardy! :hat

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

thekman

Post by thekman » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:58 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:31 am
Damn, Mayim Bialik is aces! It's as if she was born to host Jeopardy! :hat
Agreed! She’s really, really good at it!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic