Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ken Jennings as Jeopardy! Host

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Ken Jennings as Jeopardy! Host

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:52 am

George Stephanopoulos was okay, but displayed little regard for the show's legacy of greatness - a game show host he is not.

Robin Roberts simply displayed a forced enthusiasm that I doubt I could handle for another week. Yeah, I know, at least she tried.
Agree on both counts.

I missed LeVar last night; will try to watch tonight (I believe Loco 4 is showing Jeopardy at 7PM this week as opposed to 7:30).

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:39 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:52 am
I missed LeVar last night; will try to watch tonight (I believe Loco 4 is showing Jeopardy at 7PM this week as opposed to 7:30).
We're camping. I probably won't catch him until Thursday.

thekman

Post by thekman » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:36 pm

Got to say, I thought LeVar improved quite a bit on night #2.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:11 pm

I'm not seeing it. At this point, he's in the bottom third on my list. I'll try and catch him a couple more times this week to see if that changes.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:45 pm

thekman wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:36 pm
Then he must've been downright awful his first night! I didn't see his debut, but his second appearance left me...oh, what's the word I'm groping for...nonplussed? Ho-hum? In any case, he's not the one I want to replace Alex. He has three more days to change my mind.

What do the online Jeopardy! Twitterbirds see in him anyway?

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:54 pm

He seems like a nice guy but just not right for this role. I saw only a portion of tonight's show but I can't see my opinion changing even if I see him Thurs or Fri. Is he on for one week or two?

Who's left to see?

sfpcc1

Post by sfpcc1 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:42 pm

km1125 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:54 pm
He seems like a nice guy but just not right for this role. I saw only a portion of tonight's show but I can't see my opinion changing even if I see him Thurs or Fri. Is he on for one week or two?

Who's left to see?
Joe Buck

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:39 pm

sfpcc1 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:42 pm
km1125 wrote:

Who's left to see?
Joe Buck
Will, I guess the fat lady better clear her calendar for this weekend.

I have no interest in seeing him in that show.

thekman

Post by thekman » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:36 am

moldyoldie wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:45 pm
thekman wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:36 pm
Then he must've been downright awful his first night! I didn't see his debut, but his second appearance left me...oh, what's the word I'm groping for...nonplussed? Ho-hum? In any case, he's not the one I want to replace Alex. He has three more days to change my mind.

What do the online Jeopardy! Twitterbirds see in him anyway?
Well, yes. He was downright awful on the first night. He fumbled his words quite a bit. I really do think he improved quite a bit since Monday, to reach a comfortable level of mediocrity, but I have to agree that overall he is in the bottom third of guest hosts.

I have no clue why Twitter became obsessed with him. I have no clue why Twitter becomes obsessed with anything, lol! I have nostalgia for LeVar as Geordi LaForge on Star Trek: The Next Generation. I guess others have nostalgia for him from Reading Rainbow, or maybe even Roots. But nostalgia does not a good host make.

I have no idea what Sony’s focus groups are saying, but at this point, I’d be really surprised if Ken Jennings doesn’t get the gig. He wasn’t great at it, but he was good enough. And he could grow into the role. His ratings were better than all the other guest hosts, and he kept those ratings consistent for 6 full weeks. Plus he is part of the Jeopardy legacy, and keeps a sense of continuity with the Trebek era.

I actually think the best at it was Mayim Bialik. And maybe there will be a push to have a female or African-American host, but Sony makes too much money from Jeopardy to get the decision wrong. I think they’ll stick with the guy that brought the best ratings, that being Jennings. (Of course, I was convinced that Rush Limbaugh would absolutely, positively be replaced by Mark Steyn. No-brainer. So I clearly fail routinely at my predictions!)

thekman

Post by thekman » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:46 am

km1125 wrote:

Who's left to see?
LeVar only has 1 week.

Next is…
1 week with David Faber from CNBC.
1 week of Joe Buck of Fox Sports.

Then 4 weeks of repeats. Jeopardy traditionally would repeat the Tournament of Champions every August, Teacher’s Tournament. But I’m thinking this time they might just rerun Trebek’s last few weeks of shows instead.

The new season, with a new permanent host, should start one week after Labor Day.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:51 am

I didn't get a chance to catch LeVar at all. So what sayeth those who did?

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:22 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:51 am
You did not miss anything.

I haven't seen Faber in quite a while on TV, so I'm curious how he'll do. Don't see him as really being a viable candidate for the position, as I don't think he really has ANY name recognition that would draw viewers and can't imagine his delivery or on-air performance being so astounding to have the selection folks overlook that. Still, I'm interested in seeing him guest host.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:54 am

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Nice guy, but doesn't have the chops for being an everyday Jeopardy! host.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:01 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:54 am
Mike Oxlong wrote:
Nice guy, but doesn't have the chops for being an everyday Jeopardy! host.
Thanks. I actually did remember before it came on Friday. Decided to stay outside and watch my neighbor mow her lawn.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:12 pm

The current Jeopardy champion is such a wiener that it's making LeVar's job a whole lot harder. Like James H, he 'mines' for the DD and had such blowout leads that the show isn't fun to watch at all. Had the all-time loser during his watch. Two were in negatives and couldn't play Final Jeopardy! which is an insult. I really though LeVar was the guy, but filming all 5 shows in a day, he didn't get a second day/week to improve.
Unfortunately, I say the host leaderboard is Mayim Balik, Michael Exec Producer, and surprisingly Savannah. Tried to really like Ken, tried to really like LeVar, but neither one get my non-binding vote. Mayim or Michael, or someone we haven't even seen?
Still waiting for Betty White to make a brief appearance since Alex always answered her name for hostess- 99 years old with a walker, it would be cute.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic