Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ken Jennings as Jeopardy! Host

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
thekman

Re: Ken Jennings as Jeopardy! Host

Post by thekman » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:28 pm

WOHO wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:50 am
Alex was EP of the first year or two of Jeopardy!, but I wonder if it is too much messing around, as he dropped that and concentrated on being host. I think Mikey-boy is gonna have his hands full as he is going to face a similar aging crisis at WofF as Vanna is gonna wanna retire, or in an effort to get a younger audience they put a hot chick in her spot and dump Pat Z. Hey, here we go, Aaron Rodgers as WofF host with his wife/girlfriend as the letter turner? I think Mikey is in over his head, he should have given the daily reins to Mayim and specials for himself, IMO
Somewhere I saw an article which implied Sony wanted the host of Jeopardy to only be known as the host of Jeopardy. No side gigs. I think that may have relegated Mayim to the non-daily hosting duties, since she is appearing in perpetuity in Big Bang Theory reruns. That may have hurt Ken as well, since he appears on ABC’s The Chase already.

thekman

Post by thekman » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:34 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:22 pm
I realize he has his vehement detractors, but I have absolutely no problem with Joe Buck, either as a sports announcer or as a Jeopardy! guest host.

The big problem I have is with uber-champ Matt Amodio's responding with "What's...?" to every clue and always eliminating first names, it's starting to get on my nerves. :evil: How do the judges let him get away with it? (rhetorical question)
https://www.newsweek.com/jeopardy-clari ... io-1615526

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:20 am

thekman wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:34 pm
moldyoldie wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:22 pm
I realize he has his vehement detractors, but I have absolutely no problem with Joe Buck, either as a sports announcer or as a Jeopardy! guest host.

The big problem I have is with uber-champ Matt Amodio's responding with "What's...?" to every clue and always eliminating first names, it's starting to get on my nerves. :evil: How do the judges let him get away with it? (rhetorical question)
https://www.newsweek.com/jeopardy-clari ... io-1615526
I'm glad I'm not alone! :twisted:

I thought the lady last night had a great shot at unseating him, but alas.... :? It was the first time in memory that Amodio didn't more than double the next highest contestant heading into Final Jeopardy...until the very last clue in Double Jeopardy! :evil: Is there no justice?

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

thekman

Post by thekman » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:47 pm

Jeopardy is rerunning an old Trebek episode today, with Ken Jennings as champ, (he’s at $1.9M in winnings in this episode).

After 8 months of guest hosts, I still found it kind of touching to see Alex back behind the podium. He was just a guy on my TV for my entire life, but it’s amazing how a guy on TV can make an emotional impact.

sfpcc1

Post by sfpcc1 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:49 pm

WOHO wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:50 am
Hey, here we go, Aaron Rodgers as WofF host with his wife/girlfriend as the letter turner? I think Mikey is in over his head, he should have given the daily reins to Mayim and specials for himself, IMO
Maybe your kidding but I when think of someone replacing Vanna White I can't imagine Shaline Woodley,
(maybe if I was doing Peyote.) Have you seen any of her movies?

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:56 am

Though it's all beside the point, I thought I'd list my top 5 guest hosts in no particular order:

-Ken Jennings
-Buzzy Cohen
-Mayim Bialik
-David Faber
-Sanjay Gupta

Honorable mentions: Joe Buck, Anderson Cooper
Last edited by moldyoldie on Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Honeyman

BREAKING: Richards gone as Jeopardy host

Post by Honeyman » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:32 am

Richards stepping down: Richards stepping down:

The censorship king from out of state.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:29 am

It ain't over till it's over, maybe 3 more guest hosts? .Guessing Jennings probably the backup to start the season until this wrangling gets squared away?

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:28 pm

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv ... 234999628/
As first reported by The Ringer, Richards hosted a podcast from 2013 to 2014 called The Randumb Show, billed as a behind-the-scenes look at The Price Is Right, during which time he was serving as executive producer on that show. In a segment where his co-host and former assistant Beth Triffon discussed working as a model at CES, he dubbed her a “booth ho,” “booth slut” and “boothstitute.” In another episode, Richards discusses a photo of Triffon and her friends, calling her friends “really frumpy and overweight” and saying, “They all look terrible in the picture. … They look fat and not good.”
Ok, yeah, I can see how this is a problem. My question is, if he hosted a podcast while acting as executive producer of The Price is Right and said those things, how did that not cause a problem for him then?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:15 pm

Great question.

I'd love to know how many people actually listened to his podcast.

My gut tells me Jennings will be the new host after all. Too bad that Richards' past indiscretions caught up to him.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:51 pm

The Statute of Limitations for just about all crimes except murder, even rape in some states, is three years. We have a former President who was credibly accused of rape, and his always ready defense team said "the Statute of Limitation ran out on that one". How is that this can be upheld for activity which is not even illegal, for eight years or more? Can anyone not ever make a mistake? I imagine that many of you here on the board have made similar statements, that if we had 24/7 video and audio for every one on the Left on this board, we could find something. I know a stockbroker who was my neighbor, who went out for Halloween in Blackface in 1964. Should I call Merrill Lynch and report him? (Not where he works, BTW.) Foolish of Richards to record it, but foolishness is not a crime either. Where does this end? Using Alexa 24/7 illegal recordings against you, the same people who used to be against recording people, without their knowledge, and used to believe in private conversations?

George Orwell, in his BOOK, "1984", not the movie, had a name for this: Thought Crime. Read the actual book.
'
".

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:21 am

TC Shuts Up wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:51 pm
Can anyone not ever make a mistake? I imagine that many of you here on the board have made similar statements, that if we had 24/7 video and audio for every one on the Left on this board, we could find something...Foolish of Richards to record it, but foolishness is not a crime either...
Criminal law has nothing to do with this. Richards voluntarily stepped down.

And you kind of answered your own question. Making similar jokes or statements behind closed doors with a few friends is one thing. Broadcasting it to a live public audience, when you still not only work there, but are the executive producer, is another beast entirely.

I'm normally very lenient on these kinds of things. But there is still a line out there, and IMO Richards crossed it. Personally insulting the people who work for you during a live podcast, particularly when you work in media and in such a high position, is simply not acceptable.

And it isn't like this was 30+ years ago either. This is fairly recent.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:58 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:15 pm
My gut tells me Jennings will be the new host after all. Too bad that Richards' past indiscretions caught up to him.
My gut say it's Bialik. We shall see.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:36 pm

Am I the only one who didn't care for her performance as host?

As for Mr. Richards, here is an insightful article regarding his game show career:

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2021/8/18/ ... t-comments

The guy sure sounds like a snake, and regardless of what one thinks of his past transgressions, I wouldn't feel too sorry for him. He's still Executive Producer of both Wheel and Jeopardy, a gig that likely pays extremely well.

Someone with his baggage should not be hosting a high class show such as Jeopardy. Richards stacked the deck against LeVar Burton, giving him only a single week's worth of shows, with all of those shows airing during the middle of the Olympics to boot.

I'd like to see David Faber get the job.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:10 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:21 am
TC Shuts Up wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:51 pm
Can anyone not ever make a mistake? I imagine that many of you here on the board have made similar statements, that if we had 24/7 video and audio for every one on the Left on this board, we could find something...Foolish of Richards to record it, but foolishness is not a crime either...
Criminal law has nothing to do with this. Richards voluntarily stepped down.

And you kind of answered your own question. Making similar jokes or statements behind closed doors with a few friends is one thing. Broadcasting it to a live public audience, when you still not only work there, but are the executive producer, is another beast entirely.

I'm normally very lenient on these kinds of things. But there is still a line out there, and IMO Richards crossed it. Personally insulting the people who work for you during a live podcast, particularly when you work in media and in such a high position, is simply not acceptable.

And it isn't like this was 30+ years ago either. This is fairly recent.
Can you also explain why Jimmy Kimmel and Howard Stern are still on-air?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic