Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ken Jennings as Jeopardy! Host

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
radioandtventhusiast

Re: Ken Jennings as Jeopardy! Host

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:49 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:36 pm
Am I the only one who didn't care for her performance as host?

As for Mr. Richards, here is an insightful article regarding his game show career:

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2021/8/18/ ... t-comments

The guy sure sounds like a snake, and regardless of what one thinks of his past transgressions, I wouldn't feel too sorry for him. He's still Executive Producer of both Wheel and Jeopardy, a gig that likely pays extremely well.

Someone with his baggage should not be hosting a high class show such as Jeopardy. Richards stacked the deck against LeVar Burton, giving him only a single week's worth of shows, with all of those shows airing during the middle of the Olympics to boot.

I'd like to see David Faber get the job.
You're not the only one who didn't care for Mayim. Myself, she was decent if not for that annoying giggling at times.

I read the Ringer story myself and thought to myself, "Why do we go from classy with Alex to this guy?".

David Faber was a great host. He'd be great if they were to find someone who wasn't a big-name celebrity.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:06 pm

Buckle your seatbelts. If I'm reading this CNN link right, Jeopardy is going to start another parade of guests hosts. Mayim will host the first three weeks of the new season.

Am I the only one thinking "Good grief just pick someone"?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/23/media/ma ... index.html

thekman

Post by thekman » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:00 am

I wholeheartedly agree!!
I’m so bored with the guest hosts.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:59 am

I'm hardly bored with the guest hosts since I watch for the contestants and the competition. If Mayim Bialik is hosting for three consecutive weeks it might just cement her ultimate standing as the permanent host...and I wouldn't be disappointed. :hat

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:17 am

moldyoldie wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:59 am
I'm hardly bored with the guest hosts since I watch for the contestants and the competition. If Mayim Bialik is hosting for three consecutive weeks it might just cement her ultimate standing as the permanent host...and I wouldn't be disappointed. :hat
I agree with you. Of the guest host so far, I liked her the best.

I know folks want to say "Jennings got the highest ratings". Is that because he was the most liked? Or because he happen to be the first guest host?

And I know I've said this at least twice now in this thread. They should of gave a week or two to the three people that Trebek himself said would be a good Jeopardy host.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:42 pm

I think Mayim was "OK". Not great by any stretch of the imagination, but not bad either. They could have picked much worse. Having her as a host does not make me want to watch the show. However, I wouldn't avoid it either. It's just "MEH".

The bruhaha over Richards though, and their reaction, will make me write off the show. It's ridiculous for that to be an issue. If it was a current event, then I might understand, but you still have to take it out of context.

I think Ken got high ratings for a couple reasons. He's been associated with the show for a LONG time and he's got a LOT of name recognition. Probably only second to Alex himself and much more so than Mike Richards. Probably also because he had the first spot and I'm sure a lot of folks tuned in just out of curiosity to see what the show might be like "post Alex".

Will they stick with their "you have to give up your day job" requirement if they proceed with Mayim? Will she have to leave her show?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:33 am

I will say this regarding Mr. Richards:
If his past behavior is deemed problematic enough to disqualify him from hosting duties, then why should he remained employed by Sony in an executive producer capacity?

Doesn't make sense to me. Either his past behavior is a problem or it isn't a problem.

Judging him solely by his hosting performance, I thought he did very well.

LeVar Burton was shortchanged and needs to be offered two additional weeks of hosting.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:50 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:33 am
If his past behavior is deemed problematic enough to disqualify him from hosting duties, then why should he remained employed by Sony in an executive producer capacity?
Who even knew who he was prior to this? Out of sight, out of mind. As was suggested earlier, a classy dude like Trebek being supplanted by a "supposed" sexist asshole doesn't ring copacetic, especially in a position of almost legendary capacity.
MWmetalhead wrote:
LeVar Burton was shortchanged and needs to be offered two additional weeks of hosting.
Okay, what did you see in his guest hosting appearances that lead you to believe he has the chops for the gig? I saw very little.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:32 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:

Doesn't make sense to me. Either his past behavior is a problem or it isn't a problem.

Judging him solely by his hosting performance, I thought he did very well.

I question that myself but Sony has said that he will undergo sensitivity training.

I feel LeVar should have been coached better by the producers. I hope they give him another shot at guest-hosting.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:47 pm

Richards is now out completely!

- Sydney J. Harris

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:08 pm

Karma's a bitch when it actually bites you back there Mikey.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:24 pm

Ridiculous. About the only thing that might attract me back to that show now is if they brought in Thom Beers as EP. :D

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:26 am

It makes sense in some capacity that he was fired outright, for the reasons I stated earlier.

The gamesmanship with regard to the rotating guest hosts and his treatment of colleagues offends me more than irreverent comments he made on a series of podcasts that had extremely few listeners.

To Moldy - Burton was offered only one week whereas most other leading candidates were given two or more weeks. Burton's relatively weak ratings were cited as a reason he wasn't given a second week, but bear in mind many NBC affiliates were preempting Jeopardy due to the Olympics!

You are right that Burton's performance in the one week he received was mediocre, but as noted per the Variety article, Richards stacked the deck against Burton.

For those who might feel Richards deserves sympathy or was unfairly treated, I suggest you read this article:
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/j ... rds-firing

Simply put, Richards was an arrogant, unpleasant ass.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:21 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:26 am
..... You are right that Burton's performance in the one week he received was mediocre, but as noted per the Variety article, Richards stacked the deck against Burton ....
I've said this twice already in this thread. During an interview, Trebek named 3 people he felt would be good hosts. Yet none of them got a call from the executive producer.

Do you think it possible Richards had every intention of being Trebek's replacement all along? The Parade of Guest Hosts was just a formality?

"And I choose ... ME"

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:32 am

I would expect to see the 3 people Trebek called-out as getting their 2 week try-outs (after they air Richards week "walk of shame" and 2 weeks of Mayim), and then Burton to get a 2nd chance (day) week as well. And then a 2nd week callback from the unexpected surprise sports guy that did surprisingly well during his week. Yes, puts it in turmoil for another 2 months, but if you're gonna do it, do it right.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic