Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ken Jennings as Jeopardy! Host

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
bmw

Re: Ken Jennings as Jeopardy! Host

Post by bmw » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:46 am

Apparently the cult-like mob that worships Lear Burton isn't happy. They're now digging up decade-old allegations against RIchards.

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop ... s-n1276198

Just reading through the details of the allegations against Richards, they sound fairly petty all things considered, and read more like behind-the-scenes drama than anything else. I would bet exaggerated as well.

On a side-note, I believe this was always a 2-man race between Jennings and Richards. I don't think any of the guest hosts that followed were ever given much consideration, except possibly Aaron Rodgers, but for him probably only contingent on him retiring from the NFL and giving 100 of his work time to Jeopardy.

Overall I thought Richards did a good job guest hosting, though he does lack charisma.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:37 pm

Speaking of Press Your Luck, I've yet to spot a wireless mic on her? If that's all I'm looking for, that's pretty sad.

thekman

Post by thekman » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:47 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:46 am

Overall I thought Richards did a good job guest hosting, though he does lack charisma.
Richards lack of charisma might sort of be an asset in a way. I think most viewers want the “star” of Jeopardy to be the show itself. The answers, the questions, the contestants. Not that Alex Trebek lacked charisma by any means, but he kind of led the show in an unassuming way. Maybe that is why Alex became so beloved, because instead of being overt, he subtly became a constant part of so many people’s lives for over 30 years.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:11 pm

I watch Classic Concentration somewhat regularly on Buzzr. :)

(In contrast, I am not a big fan of the mid/late 70's version of the show hosted by Jack Narz, which also airs on Buzzr.)

I don't understand all the love LeVar Burton is still getting. I thought his performance was merely OK. Even his own wife wasn't impressed by his performance on the show!

https://www.tvinsider.com/1006939/levar ... rdy-video/

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:35 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:51 pm
.... (I cannot stand the broad who hosts the reboot to Press Your Luck, for example.)...
Don't be picking on my sweetheart!!! The show is stupid, but it's worth watching because she is on it.

BFSEsq

Post by BFSEsq » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:50 pm

I had been pretty positive it would be Jennings, even before all of the guest hosting started, just because of his connection and history to the show, and he seems like he would have been a relatable figure. He knows what it's like to be a J! contestant. Also, J! had hired Jennings to be some sort of consultant and have a bigger presence on the show. I read he would possibly present categories from time to time. That didn't last long before Trebek died. When that happened, though, I thought, well, there's the intermediate step, they've been lining up Jennings the whole time.

Guess I was wrong.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:32 am

MW wrote: "...mid/late 70's version of the show hosted by Jack Narz..." If I'm not mistaken, Jack and host Tom Kennedy are real-life brothers?
and "(I cannot stand the broad who hosts the reboot to Press Your Luck, for example.).." yes, Lizzy Banks might be a poor hostess, but to be totally 70's sexist pig, she is one of the 5 hottest women on Network TV along with The Beast hostess. They both look good after 3 hours in the make-up chair, BUT, a half-hour game show is much better paced than the recent trend to fill a whole hour for a game show.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:12 pm

WOHO wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:32 am
MW wrote: "...mid/late 70's version of the show hosted by Jack Narz..." If I'm not mistaken, Jack and host Tom Kennedy are real-life brothers?
and "(I cannot stand the broad who hosts the reboot to Press Your Luck, for example.).." yes, Lizzy Banks might be a poor hostess, but to be totally 70's sexist pig, she is one of the 5 hottest women on Network TV along with The Beast hostess. They both look good after 3 hours in the make-up chair, BUT, a half-hour game show is much better paced than the recent trend to fill a whole hour for a game show.
The original Chase host Brooke Burns or the current one Sara Haines?

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:22 pm

I realize he has his vehement detractors, but I have absolutely no problem with Joe Buck, either as a sports announcer or as a Jeopardy! guest host.

The big problem I have is with uber-champ Matt Amodio's responding with "What's...?" to every clue and always eliminating first names, it's starting to get on my nerves. :evil: How do the judges let him get away with it? (rhetorical question)

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Honeyman

BREAKING; Jeopardy will have 2 hosts

Post by Honeyman » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:06 pm

DAILY BEAST today:

Jeopardy! will have two hosts for the first time in the storied game show’s history.

Sony Pictures Television is set to announce that Jeopardy! executive producer Mike Richards will host the long-running daily syndicated program and actress Mayim Bialik will host primetime and spin-off specials of the famed quiz show, The Daily Beast has learned.

The censorship king from out of state.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:30 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:22 pm
I realize he has his vehement detractors, but I have absolutely no problem with Joe Buck, either as a sports announcer or as a Jeopardy! guest host.

The big problem I have is with uber-champ Matt Amodio's responding with "What's...?" to every clue and always eliminating first names, it's starting to get on my nerves. :evil: How do the judges let him get away with it? (rhetorical question)
I'm certainly one of those detractors. I stomached his first show even though I had no desire to watch him. Trying to be impartial, I don't think he was as good as the top third at all, but his delivery and presence might have put him in the middle third. He was certainly better than, say, Katie Couric.

And I agree on that second paragraph. It is starting to get annoying. Didn't bother me for a while, as I could imagine it would be easy to slip up once in a while. That mistake would be much better than the mistake of forgetting to frame it as a question. I think there have been a few times where his answer would have been rejected for lack of a first name but he had come up with one when he sensed they were hesitating accepting just the last name.

moldyoldie

Re: BREAKING; Jeopardy will have 2 hosts

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:31 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:06 pm
Sony Pictures Television is set to announce that Jeopardy! executive producer Mike Richards will host the long-running daily syndicated program and actress Mayim Bialik will host primetime and spin-off specials of the famed quiz show, The Daily Beast has learned.
Needless to say, I'd rather it be the other way around. (sigh)
km1125 wrote:And I agree on that second paragraph. It is starting to get annoying. Didn't bother me for a while, as I could imagine it would be easy to slip up once in a while. That mistake would be much better than the mistake of forgetting to frame it as a question. I think there have been a few times where his answer would have been rejected for lack of a first name but he had come up with one when he sensed they were hesitating accepting just the last name.
Yeah, talk about gaming the system! :razz He must be stopped! :hat

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:59 am

I was hoping it would be Ken Jennings. Watched a few shows with Mike Richards, and he's okay. Jennings would have been the best choice to carry on the Trebek legacy IMO.

That being said, I wonder what the future holds for Ken. He may stick with the Jeopardy staff, although I wouldn't be surprised if another producer taps him to host a similar-format quiz program.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:04 am

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:59 am
I was hoping it would be Ken Jennings. Watched a few shows with Mike Richards, and he's okay. Jennings would have been the best choice to carry on the Trebek legacy IMO.

That being said, I wonder what the future holds for Ken. He may stick with the Jeopardy staff, although I wouldn't be surprised if another producer taps him to host a similar-format quiz program.
It was reported yesterday that Jennings will indeed be retained on the show in some capacity that wasn't made entirely clear; I'm guessing as a consultant. Richards will also continue in the role of executive producer of both Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune.

- Sydney J. Harris

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:50 am

Alex was EP of the first year or two of Jeopardy!, but I wonder if it is too much messing around, as he dropped that and concentrated on being host. I think Mikey-boy is gonna have his hands full as he is going to face a similar aging crisis at WofF as Vanna is gonna wanna retire, or in an effort to get a younger audience they put a hot chick in her spot and dump Pat Z. Hey, here we go, Aaron Rodgers as WofF host with his wife/girlfriend as the letter turner? I think Mikey is in over his head, he should have given the daily reins to Mayim and specials for himself, IMO

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic