Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ken Jennings as Jeopardy! Host

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
thekman

Re: Ken Jennings as Jeopardy! Host

Post by thekman » Tue May 03, 2022 9:41 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 6:07 am
In my original post I mentioned it would take some time for Jennings' personality to manifest itself as the host; I think we're seeing some of that now. He's doing a clever spiel at the beginning of every show. Of course, uber-champ Mattea is making it easy.

Another change is promoting the next day's challengers and where they're from at the end of every show -- a good idea.
Yes, I like his opening monologue. His personality does indeed shine through. He seems to be growing comfortable in the host role. A couple of times the monologues have been rather lengthy.

I noticed that the promo for the next day’s show has even been retroactively added to the afternoon Jeopardy repeat at 12:30pm. While I like the promo, I also don’t like it. Because it annoys the geek in me which always loved hearing the end theme song uninterrupted.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed May 04, 2022 11:28 am

thekman wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 9:41 pm
A couple of times the monologues have been rather lengthy.
Yes, one time I was thinking, "Hey Ken, it's only a half-hour show and there's a lot of clues to get through!"

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed May 04, 2022 12:20 pm

More and more, I'm definitely preferring to watch when Ken is hosting rather than Mayim.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed May 04, 2022 1:23 pm

I feel like Ken's grown in this role really well and has made him a worthy successor to Alex. Mayim's decent but it's time to make Ken the permanent host.

Interm EP Michael Davies, who stepped in when Mike Richards was fired, has now been made permanent EP of the show. He has some pretty good ideas and I think he'll be very successful in his role.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed May 04, 2022 7:35 pm

I agree with all of you.

Jennings is definitely much better now than when he first started, he is more at ease, and he seems to be making the show his own (which is a good thing).

A year ago, I preferred Mayim to Ken. I've completely changed sides since then. Mayim's hosting style is a bit too clinical for my liking. Ken's reading of clues has become much smoother as he's gotten more hosting experience under his belt.

When Mr. Trebek's terminal health issues first became known, my prediction at that time was that Ken Jennings would be named his successor. Perhaps that prediction will still come true.

thekman

Post by thekman » Thu May 05, 2022 12:32 am

km1125 wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 12:20 pm
More and more, I'm definitely preferring to watch when Ken is hosting rather than Mayim.
Completely agree!
Mayim is fine, but sometimes it seems to me that she’s trying a little too much. I genuinely find Ken to be a calming presence in the hosting role.

thekman

Post by thekman » Thu May 05, 2022 12:41 am

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 1:23 pm

Interm EP Michael Davies, who stepped in when Mike Richards was fired, has now been made permanent EP of the show.
Okay, I know Mike Richards is never coming back, but I genuinely thought he did a very good job hosting. Although he lacked the gravitas to be host of Jeopardy. Crazy thought, even though it’ll never happen, I really think he could be a great replacement for Pat Sajak. On that future day whenever Pat might choose to retire from Wheel of Fortune.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sat May 07, 2022 7:44 pm

I always thought Mike would be great on WOF.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Fri May 13, 2022 7:48 pm

Ken has really calmed down a bit since he started. I think he is better than Mayim.

But she is cuter than he is. And she is also available. And has brains.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:58 pm

I don't mind Mayim hosting the celebrity episodes, but I'm really liking how Ken handles the regular Jeopardy episodes. I think I would also strongly prefer him for the championship games too. I like his pacing in the show and his banter with the contestants.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:27 pm

I think Ken's done really well this year, and I think Sony made the right decision in having Ken do the syndicated version and Mayim do the primetime specials.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:12 pm

Did the blonde Chick have a fricken cellphone at the podium?

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:08 am

I would rather be one of the Jeopardy! writers. Are one of those positions open?

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:36 am

paul8539 wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:08 am
I would rather be one of the Jeopardy! writers. Are one of those positions open?
Am I the only only one noticing Shakespeare as a category has not been nearly as frequent since Trebek left? Or maybe since Richards was no longer the producer? I'll admit I don't watch the show as much as I used to. So I could be missing it.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:13 am

Circle Seven wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:36 am
Am I the only only one noticing Shakespeare as a category has not been nearly as frequent since Trebek left? Or maybe since Richards was no longer the producer? I'll admit I don't watch the show as much as I used to. So I could be missing it.
Oh, I've seen a few Shakespeare clues recently every now and then. :blink However, I can't say if there's been a separate category.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic