Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ken Jennings as Jeopardy! Host

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
Honeyman

Re: Ken Jennings as Jeopardy! Host

Post by Honeyman » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:25 pm

I think Jennings is doing a pretty good job, myself.

I do admit it sounds strange when Johnny Gilbert says, "And now the host of Jeopardy....." I am still anticipating, "Alex Trabek!"

The censorship king from out of state.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:39 pm

I personally think Ken is doing a great job. He knows when to be serious, when to be funny, and is also personable with the contestants. I don't want someone who is directly copying Alex's style.

I also find it weird to have Johnny introduce a host other than Alex.

Dr. Oz, Anderson Cooper, Savannah Guthrie and Dr. Sanjay Gupta are the next round of guest hosts.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:02 pm

I agree that Ken is doing a great job. Couple of hiccups here and there, but who wouldn't have that? I think he'll get more comfortable as time goes on. I have no desire to see any of the other guest hosts at this time.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:46 am

I watched yesterday, and I agree his performance has improved. That was encouraging to see. He seemed nowhere nearly as stiff and his "reading" voice is now noticeably better than his first couple of weeks on the air.

Savannah Guthrie??? BARF x 1000.

Since Drew Carey was mentioned earlier, I must say he was horrible during his first two seasons of hosting TPIR. With time, he grew into the role, but man that took forever.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:01 am

Jeopardy is coming dangerously close to Jumping the Shark with the expanding slate of hosts.
Dr. Oz??
Just hire someone and be done. We'll live with it.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:20 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:46 am
I watched yesterday, and I agree his performance has improved. That was encouraging to see. He seemed nowhere nearly as stiff and his "reading" voice is now noticeably better than his first couple of weeks on the air.

Savannah Guthrie??? BARF x 1000.

Since Drew Carey was mentioned earlier, I must say he was horrible during his first two seasons of hosting TPIR. With time, he grew into the role, but man that took forever.
I've watched his first two seasons in reruns. He was definitely bland and "just there". By his 4th season, he really became a great emcee and has kept TPIR going.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:19 pm

SolarMax wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:01 am
Jeopardy is coming dangerously close to Jumping the Shark with the expanding slate of hosts.
Dr. Oz??
Just hire someone and be done. We'll live with it.
Definitely some potential there. Hope they don't screw it up.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:41 pm

Dr. Oz? Savannah Guthrie? I don't think so. Those would be horrendous choices.

Dr. Gupta could work, but then again, I think he would be a bit too "serious" for Jeopardy. However, if they were to do one-off episodes based on health/wellness, he could be a good host; he would just need to loosen up a tad.

Anderson Cooper is the only host on that list that would be compatible, I feel, if they choose to not go with Jennings. Dan Patrick would also work as well; he hosted a sports-themed version of the show at one point (and did a damn good job of it, might I add).

take this job and shove it

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:55 pm

Jennings has done well. Most of the guest choices sound horrible (Aaron Rodgers?)

Drew Carey has gone from horrible to subpar on Price after 13 years. I still think he’s not the right host for that show.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:12 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:55 pm
Jennings has done well. Most of the guest choices sound horrible (Aaron Rodgers?)

Drew Carey has gone from horrible to subpar on Price after 13 years. I still think he’s not the right host for that show.
I think Drew has done okay. He was a little rocky at first, but he's managed to make the show his own.

As for Jeopardy!, I think this whole "guest host" concept is a farce. Notice they're keeping Ken Jennings as host through February sweeps, which tells ya something. They won't start the rotation until they're clear of a ratings period. My guess is that Ken will be back as permanent host by the start of the May book.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:15 pm

I thought he did a decent job. Better than some of the other replacement hosts.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:05 pm

I saw just a bit of Couric and just couldn't stand it. If she was the permanent host I would probably never see the show again. I'm not sure who's on this week.

Speaking of Drew Carey... WTF is up with that "David Letterman" beard look??? TERRIBLE!!

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:16 pm

km1125 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:05 pm
I saw just a bit of Couric and just couldn't stand it. If she was the permanent host I would probably never see the show again. I'm not sure who's on this week.

Speaking of Drew Carey... WTF is up with that "David Letterman" beard look??? TERRIBLE!!
The beard is Carey's quarantine look. Who knows if he will have it next season.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:02 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:16 pm
km1125 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:05 pm

The beard is Carey's quarantine look. Who knows if he will have it next season.
People letting their hair grow or a bit because they can't go it to a stylist, I understand. You can shave your face at home, Quarantine or not. Not doing so is just being lazy and sloppy. He should start wearing sweats on the show too.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:28 am

Dr Oz is the host this week. He's ok. A lot of people are mad because they consider him a Snake Oil Salesman, (I never really paid attention to him.) His voice seems a little to gravely for the job. So far Ken Jennings seems the best host.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic