Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Happy Birthday Art Bell

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
Calvert DeForest

Happy Birthday Art Bell

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:02 am

This past Wednesday June 17th would have been Art Bell's 75th birthday. Whether you were a Coast fan or not, I think there's little doubt that Art was a pioneer who introduced a new genre of late-night talk radio and revitalized the overnight airwaves. I likened his show to sitting around a campfire hearing ghost stories. Some of the content was pretty off-the-wall (okay, most), but that's what made it a fun listen. The callers were the best part. Although Art did use a digital delay, he chose to forego call screeners in order to make the show more spontaneous. You never knew what was coming next (nor did he for that matter). His easygoing nature and ability to control the flow of the program while allowing his guests and callers to speak with minimum interruption made the show what it was.

There are a few internet stations out there that stream Art's old Coast to Coast shows 24/7. I tune in whenever I'm in the mood for a trip to the bizarre. Although Art passed away in 2018 (a friend of mine jokingly says he went back to the Mother Ship), his legacy of contribution to talk radio lives on. Miss ya Art!

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Deleted User 15342

Re: Happy Birthday Art Bell

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:50 am

I always loved his show. He was truly a radio pioneer and yes the internet has some of his old shows. There’s even a Art Bell Channel on some internet apps, one in particular is the MyIndieApps Talk Radio App available from the Google Play Store, I’m sure Apple has it as well.

SolarMax

Re: Happy Birthday Art Bell

Post by SolarMax » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:22 am

I also miss Art Bell and his show. He had a knack for gracefully fielding oddball topics and crackpot callers, and would sometimes call out BS but, in a way that was still respectful of his guests.
Besides owning KNYE in Pahrump NV, Bell had an awesome ham radio station, including a H*** loop antenna array. I had the experience of working him one time on the ten meter band some years back, where his was the only audible signal on the band at the time.
I think Premier Network still feeds select shows as "Somewhere in Time with Art Bell." CKLW in Windsor has carried it but don't know if they still do. Also, if one is a paid subscriber to C2CAM "Insiders" there's access to a library of Art Bell shows. I don't subscribe, don't wish to line Noory's pocket.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic