Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

How to fix CNN

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
radioandtventhusiast

Re: How to fix CNN

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:03 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:36 am
MSNBC in 2019 had more daily viewers than even ESPN, was #2 among all cable networks (trailing only Fox News), and is ahead of CNN by a nearly 2:1 margin!

https://deadline.com/2019/12/cable-rati ... 202817561/

(Hallmark Channel is #6...really?!?! Old ladies must watch that network in droves!)

2019 was NOT a good year for either AMC, FX, Disney Channel or Adult Swim.
This is possibly MSNBC's best ratings in the history of the entire network.

ESPN seems to be holding its own very well, especially with live sports.

Hallmark's ratings increase is likely due to its popular Christmas movies.

Not really surprised that general entertainment networks are down. I think that will continue in 2020. I'm actually surprised that minimal- to low- watched channels like MTV Classic and MTV2 are still hanging on.

It especially seems worse for kids's channels, as their target audiences are no longer watching linear TV to get their content.

I predict the big 3 news networks will get big ratings with this being a pivotal election year. I also predict that they all will get record-high ratings on election day.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:03 pm

I can't bring myself to watch any of these channels anymore. Despite the names, they're more entertainment channels than actual news channels. Despite his intentions, I think Ted Turner discovered early on that there just isn't enough relevant news to fill 24 hours a day. The 30-minute cycle formula later implemented by CNN Headline News was better geared toward this, although it's probably what CNN should have been right out of the gate. Expanded reports and live coverage of breaking events (real breaking events) could be dropped into the schedule as needed, just like the broadcast networks did back in the day. Instead, these channels rely on the entertainment value of pundits, worthless interviews and any goofy local stories they can get their hands on to fill time. Not to mention the overuse of graphics and stingers peppered in to hold the audience's attention. I liken that to jingling keys in front of a baby.

Then there's the internet, which opened up a whole new challenge for these outlets. They have to ramp up the hype even more to stay in the game. I try to imagine Walter Cronkite of Chet Huntley getting plowed on-camera for a New Year's Eve program. There was a day when it would be appalling for any news operation or news professional to even consider such an idea. Then again, this is not news....it's entertainment (and pretty poor entertainment at that).

As for the Hallmark Channel, it's not just little old ladies watching. I love the Christmas flicks! Sometimes ya just gotta take a break from the chaos and immerse in a corny, predictable story with lots of trees and lights. :razz

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Luke

Post by Luke » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:33 pm

I too wish CNN would go back to it's roots in regards to programming. Bring back non-political shows to mix in with national and world news. I actually think they would benefit from a partnership with CBS News. I think it would be great to have Anderson Cooper anchor the Evening News on CBS and then host a primetime hard-news show on CNN. I would also love to see an interview show with Gayle King in primetime. Bring back Moneyline with Erin Burnett and move Robin Meade to the mothership for the morning show. Just a few examples.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:58 pm

Luke wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:33 pm
I too wish CNN would go back to it's roots in regards to programming. Bring back non-political shows to mix in with national and world news. I actually think they would benefit from a partnership with CBS News. I think it would be great to have Anderson Cooper anchor the Evening News on CBS and then host a primetime hard-news show on CNN. I would also love to see an interview show with Gayle King in primetime. Bring back Moneyline with Erin Burnett and move Robin Meade to the mothership for the morning show. Just a few examples.
Sorry. I just can't give journalistic credibility to someone who slams Tequila shots on the air. Never would have seen Cronkite do anything like that.

Same with Don Lemon. Dude got plowed on New Year's Eve and attempted to open his shirt on-camera. Stick to journalism and leave the Foster Brooks act behind.

EdWalker

Post by EdWalker » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:01 pm

The cable news business today is not about news, just opinion and sensationalism. CNN today was not the era of Ted Turner...and thats very unfortunate. CNN, back in its infancy, wasn't always exciting. Lots of time it was repeating the same, sometimes boring headlines over and over.

Then they'd strike gold with with things like their Baghdad coverage in 1991. And it put them on the map.

Its a different world now, and thats very unfortunate. Cable news lost in innocence.

EdWalker

Post by EdWalker » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:02 pm

EdWalker wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:01 pm
The cable news business today is not about news, just opinion and sensationalism. CNN today was not the era of Ted Turner...and thats very unfortunate. CNN, back in its infancy, wasn't always exciting. Lots of time it was repeating the same, sometimes boring headlines over and over.

Then they'd strike gold with with things like their Baghdad coverage in 1991. And it put them on the map.

Its a different world now, and thats very unfortunate. Cable news lost its innocence.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:17 pm

There was a day when managing editors evaluated news in terms of relevance to the viewer. Not just whether the viewer would be interested, but whether a story was something that had a potential impact on their life. The Vietnam War, for instance, warranted maximum coverage because most people at home knew someone who was serving. Most stories today have little if any effect on the everyday life of the average American. The exploits of the Kardashians don't affect my mortgage payment or what I shell out at the pump for gas. Their problems are their own. It's none of my business, and therefore not news. An altercation at a McDonald's in Texas is a local story that doesn't affect my life in Lansing, Michigan. Such stories don't warrant national exposure. The only reason we see them is because producers and managing editors are scrambling to fill a 24-hour schedule with anything that might look interesting to the viewer. Interesting and relevant are two different things. News can sometimes be interesting, but it should always be relevant (or at least the majority of it should be).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic