Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Netflix

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
Deleted User 15783

Netflix

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:49 pm

So Netflix has started to lose people. My personal three possible reasons:

1. They just raised their rates. Folks are deciding with the plethora of other streaming services, they can spend a monthly fee elsewhere.

2. More and more series instead of movies. Which do folks prefer? Myself, I don't want to binge watch seasons of some show. I prefer a full length movie. How do others feel about that. How many here like that sort of thing?

3. The pandemic has been over. People are leaving the screen glare(tm) of the boob tube and getting back out.

kager

Re: Netflix

Post by kager » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:31 am

#1 is #1.

$20/mo is too much for mainly NetFlix-generated series.

Honeymoon is over.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:41 am

I prefer getting engrossed in a series over a movie. However, when I do look for movies I want to watch, I usually have something specific in mind, and I frequently find the movie I want to watch isn't on Netflix. Their classic movie library leaves much to be desired. Movies I grew up with in the 80's and 90's are scarce.

I found it increasingly difficult to navigate Netflix when the algorithms became more powerful several years ago, and began displaying ratings for titles based how well it thinks I will like it, rather than generally accepted ratings. As I interacted less with Netflix, the algorithm got weaker and navigation and discovery became more difficult. It's a never ending cycle and I'd cancel Netflix today if it weren't for others in my house. I suspect cancellation is on the horizon though.

The golden age of streaming is over. Too many platforms, not enough good content. It's cable TV again.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:24 pm

We have started dropping and picking up streaming service every couple months or so.
My big fear is if they try to force year long sign ups.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:23 am

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:41 am
.... when I do look for movies I want to watch, I usually have something specific in mind, and I frequently find the movie I want to watch isn't on Netflix ...
I have a similar issue with Amazon Prime. I get a movie in my head I'd like to see again. I go to Prime and it is on there. But there's an additional rental fee. Seems ALL movies should be included in the cost of Prime.

This morning on Fox2, the All Ladies Newscast said HBO has enjoyed a healthy influx of subscribers. I haven't had HBO in years. When I did, the schedule was like a broadcast channel is now. Everyone watches the same thing at once.

Has that changed? Can HBO viewers now select from a library, like Netflix and Prime and Disney+, etc?

teetoppz28

Post by teetoppz28 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:19 am

In The Bleachers wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:23 am
Has that changed? Can HBO viewers now select from a library, like Netflix and Prime and Disney+, etc?
Yes. HBO Max. We have it and it's great!

Dropping knowledge on forum MAGAts.
Unapologetically intellectually superior.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:21 am

In The Bleachers wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:23 am

I have a similar issue with Amazon Prime. I get a movie in my head I'd like to see again. I go to Prime and it is on there. But there's an additional rental fee. Seems ALL movies should be included in the cost of Prime.
I thought that at first too, but I accepted the fact that the content providers probably have a lot of control over what is free on Prime. Also, Amazon is probably using its free Prime content to tempt people to rent movies from time to time. When I do that, I watch the movie a couple of times to maximize the value.

One way to expand the list of free titles on Prime is to look at the other recommended titles for free titles. I've always had good luck doing that.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:43 pm

I more or less agree with In the Bleachers.

Everyone under the sun now has a streaming service and is charging money for it. More people are swimming in the same pool as Netflix; it's impossible to avoid some loss in subscriptions.

Some services such as YouTube TV and Hulu combine on demand content with live TV. I think some viewers are perfectly content staying within those ecosystems and have lost their use for Netflix. Stated differently, the lack of a live TV component is arguably hurting Netflix.

thekman

Post by thekman » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:09 am

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:41 am
I prefer getting engrossed in a series over a movie. However, when I do look for movies I want to watch, I usually have something specific in mind, and I frequently find the movie I want to watch isn't on Netflix. Their classic movie library leaves much to be desired. Movies I grew up with in the 80's and 90's are scarce.

The golden age of streaming is over. Too many platforms, not enough good content. It's cable TV again.
I still have old-school DVD Netflix because of its movie availability. Some titles are now starting to drop out of circulation in the last year or two, as the DVDs wear out and are not replaced. But for a movie buff, it’s still a great resource. 95% of what I’m looking for is still available. From old Hitchcock films to silent movies. Also, any TV show that’s ever been issued on DVD. Lately, I’ve been on a 3rd Rock From The Sun binge. (A show that seems much funnier to me now than it ever did back then.)

I have one streaming service, which I cancel and then move on to another after a couple of months. Supplemented by DVD Netflix. Otherwise, I’m quite content watching BuzzR and MeTV.

thekman

Post by thekman » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:33 am

craig11152 wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:24 pm
We have started dropping and picking up streaming service every couple months or so.
My big fear is if they try to force year long sign ups.
Does anyone read TVGrimReaper’s blog? Most of these streaming services are not profitable, and frankly may never be. Now they are going to add tiers with advertising. Not sure how this might all play out, but it does not seem like a good business model for most players.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Fri May 13, 2022 7:50 pm

I have the 'Nexflix on us' with T-Mobile. But I don't use it much because I can't find anything I like much.

How about some real live scenes from Ukraine where they are blowing up Russian tanks?
Last edited by paul8539 on Mon May 16, 2022 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Fri May 13, 2022 9:41 pm

paul8539 wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 7:50 pm
I have the 'Nexflix on us' with T-Mobile. But II like much don't use it much because I can't find anything I like much.....
I got to thinking about this when I was searching for movies.

I would think Netflix can ascertain which movies people search for the most, and run those movies. Every month, drop the 10 (any number) least watched movies last month, and start showing the 10 movies people looked for the month before.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat May 14, 2022 8:02 am

Recently I've been watching a late 1990's series on Tubi while riding my stationary bike. It comes with commercials but I'm OK with that since Tubi is free.

I no longer directly engage trolls

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sat May 14, 2022 1:01 pm

I like both Tubi and Pluto TV. I don't mind the commercials either for the same reasons.

high fidelity

Post by high fidelity » Tue May 17, 2022 8:39 pm

Over the past 52 weeks, Netflix stock has been as high as $700 per share, and now it's just $190 per share.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic