Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

A CBS News anchor shake-up could be in the works

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
kager

Re: A CBS News anchor shake-up could be in the works

Post by kager » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:14 am

As long as the drug companies see value in them, nightly network newscasts will be around.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:54 am

Viewers are creatures of habit, and most habits are formed in our younger years. Baby Boomers grew up with Walter Cronkite, Chet Huntley and David Brinkley at 6:30. Chet, David and Uncle Walter are long gone, but the routine remains.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Fri May 03, 2019 9:24 am

There is nothing wrong with Glor. I think the new female president just wants women anchors for its newscasts is what it sounds like to me.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat May 04, 2019 9:11 pm

Calvert (aka Larry Bud) is absolutely right.

CBS News seemingly has no patience with its Evening News ratings situation, and its impatience is only making matters worse. Jeff Glor is not the reason the ratings are in third place.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon May 06, 2019 9:52 am

It is now official. Glor is out, Norah O'Donnell is in.

Also, John Dickerson is out at the Morning Show. Tony Dokoupil and Anthony Mason will be the new hosts there.

I can't say much about the morning show moves, but the move they made replacing Glor with O'Donnell is a big mistake, IMO.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Mon May 06, 2019 11:32 am

Damn! Sounds like this will take effect this summer.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon May 06, 2019 11:41 am

Kinda sad that the most stable nightly news program is on a CABLE channel. Special Report on Fox News has had only 2 anchors since its inception in 1998 - Brit Hume and Bret Baier - both of whom I think did/do a fine job of anchoring that program.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue May 07, 2019 12:43 pm

bmw wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:52 am
It is now official. Glor is out, Norah O'Donnell is in.

Also, John Dickerson is out at the Morning Show. Tony Dokoupil and Anthony Mason will be the new hosts there.

I can't say much about the morning show moves, but the move they made replacing Glor with O'Donnell is a big mistake, IMO.
Both with the news director and with O'Donnell in the seat there's going to be an agenda. You could tell just from her "acceptance speech" during the morning show. She's not going to help in the credibility department and she's pretty irritating to listen to sometimes. Don't think it's going to work out well in either time slot.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed May 08, 2019 7:54 am

I agree. She's not very likable.

What CBS execs are too stupid to realize is a big reason their evening news ratings are perennially in third place is because 6PM (or 5PM, as the case may be) local news lead-ins in multiple major markets perform poorly.

WCBS, WUSA, WBBM, KCBS, WBZ and, KHOU all finish in third or even fourth place in local evening news ratings.

Until THAT changes, the CBS Evening News will always finish in third place.

KeenerGold

Post by KeenerGold » Fri May 10, 2019 12:04 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:54 am
I agree. She's not very likable.

What CBS execs are too stupid to realize is a big reason their evening news ratings are perennially in third place is because 6PM (or 5PM, as the case may be) local news lead-ins in multiple major markets perform poorly.

WCBS, WUSA, WBBM, KCBS, WBZ and, KHOU all finish in third or even fourth place in local evening news ratings.

Until THAT changes, the CBS Evening News will always finish in third place.
Don't forget WGCL. Consistently in 4th place.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri May 10, 2019 5:07 pm

Seems like all the stations could do a much better job of partnering with the networks and doing a better split on local news vs national news, rather than the local stations trying to cover both local and national on their own. I don't think I've **ever** heard a local news segment refer their viewers to the network segment for a "more complete story" on a national news event. Maybe that's because the network isn't even doing a "more complete story" though.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat May 11, 2019 8:50 am

Good point, Keener. Cannot believe I forgot about the abomination of a CBS affiliate in Atlanta!

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Thu May 16, 2019 11:51 pm

So I don't watch Colbert on CBS, but since the cast of The Big Bang Theory will be on there I made an exception. Anyways I find it disgusting how much Trump bashing goes on there.... imitations, poking fun at his tweets, etc. This is why I don't normally watch these late shows or SNL. They're just not funny or original.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Fri May 17, 2019 10:05 pm

Noticed John Dickerson has been anchoring this week. Maybe Glor is burning up his vacation time, but I suspect CBS simply doesn't want a deadman walking doing the flagship news broadcast.

I think this won't work out well for CBS because it seldom works out well bringing in your Morning Show pony to do the nightly broadcast (although I suspect someone will cite Diane Sawyer as the exception to the rule. Perhaps she was, but five years won't necessarily get you a Hall of Fame award in that chair). In my mind once you do a morning show. you've pissed away a good chunk of gravitas, i.e. makeover & cooking segments. Ask Katie Couric or David Gregory for that matter how well that worked out for them.

I'm still perplexed why they didn't tap a player from their excellent CBSN operation. Elaine Quijano, Vladimir Duthiers, Reena Ninan or Anne-Marie Green would have done a great job. (Fun Fact: Glor was an anchor there at the operation startup). I'd be willing to bet the broadcast side still considers anything not broadcast to be the JV team and not worthy.

It's their funeral...
KPHO - Phoenix - #6 in US population, DMA #12 also stinks up the place as a bottom dweller.

[BTW - RE:Trump bashing on late night. Nobody cares. Watch bars & tone elsewhere if it's too much for you. I doubt you'll be missed.]

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic