Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Bally Sports Regional Sports Networks preparing for bankruptcy

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
Taco

Bally Sports Regional Sports Networks preparing for bankruptcy

Post by Taco » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:13 pm

I didn't realize Sinclair own Bally.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/ba ... bef2572581

Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

kager

Re: Bally Sports Regional Sports Networks preparing for bankruptcy

Post by kager » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:44 am

Taco wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:13 pm
I didn't realize Sinclair own Bally.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/ba ... bef2572581
This is pretty big news, but not completely unexpected. Sinclair bit off more than it could chew.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:28 am

Diamond Sports Group, dba Bally Sports, gets $14 a month from most Xfinity customers yet still is facing bankruptcy. That's how poorly run that company is. I think the investment banking firm(s) who underwrote the capital structure at the outset did a shitty job, too.

I think the upcoming bankruptcy will do little more than facilitate a transfer of ownership to bondholders, thus wiping out Sinclair's stake. I suspect nearly all broadcasting contracts with teams will stay in place unfettered. The company could use BK to reject any number of those contracts (or use such ability as a threat to renegotiate terms), but I don't think it will do so. That would open a Pandora's box.

Fox got out of this business for a reason. Recall they initially sold to Disney (parent to ESPN), who then divested the RSNs due to anti-trust concerns. Gen Z spends less time with televised sports than older generations.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:21 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:28 am
Gen Z spends less time with televised sports than older generations.
And those that do aren't subscribing to old school cable TV packages. Bally wasn't willing to budge on price for the OTT providers and lost carriage there, relegating themselves to the bloated, failing cable TV model.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:20 am

I don't know their business model and have never seen a balance sheet. But I've never understood how a regional sports network could make money with the glut of on-air personalities they employ for their pre- and post- game shows. Unless it's NY, LA, and maybe Chicago. The only time I ever see those programs is when I'm out in public and they are on an establishment's TV. With no volume. Seems like a colossal waste of money.

Truthfully, I've never understood a business model where the only relevant programming (live game coverage) runs for only 3 or 4 hours with 20-21 hours each day that amounts to little more than a fancy test pattern.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:52 pm

$9.6 billion was paid by Sinclair to Disney for this cluster----, and nearly all of that price tag was financed with debt.

Bear in mind the legacy Fox RSNs are not seen in New York, Boston, Chicago, Philly, or San Francisco, five of the biggest sports markets in the country. Other companies run the RSNs in those markets. Nor are they seen in Seattle or Houston.

NFL teams show their preseason games on broadcast TV, many marquee NBA matchups can be found on ESPN or TNT in the same markets where Bally airs those contests, and most major collegiate conferences air all of their men's basketball and football contests on national TV or on conference-branded cable networks.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:14 am

Imagine paying $9.6 billion and thinking people were going to subscribe to cable to watch the shitty Tigers and Wings teams of the past few years.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:17 pm

CurlyHoward wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:14 am
Imagine paying $9.6 billion and thinking people were going to subscribe to cable to watch the shitty Tigers and Wings teams of the past few years.
Thank you! Maybe if any of the teams were worth a shit, they'd have half a chance. Maybe.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

80sTalkRadioFan

Post by 80sTalkRadioFan » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:38 pm

Strange timing, as Fubo TV is adding the Bally Sports networks some time in February. I recently got an email message from Fubo that their monthly rate is going up by almost $20. Not sure if that is true for all subscribers, but I live in an area with 3 available Bally Sports Networks: Detroit, Great Lakes and Ohio, so maybe they were going to charge for each of them. Either way, that was enough for me to cancel my Fubo subscription.

A1B1C1D1

Post by A1B1C1D1 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:23 pm

Since the Red Wings are decent, I just started paying $21 a month for the app right before the All Star break, couldn't have time it worse! I probably will cancel it in April. I think the production is good but the app for me is glitchy where at least once I will lose video and retain audio causing me to restart it.

ESPN+ is SO much better so I hope they will ultimately sell it to them for another subscription price bump. Then again, Diamond apparently would have been able to go for years with the status quo if they did not have the debt, So I assume $21 a month next winter is in my future. The bondholders in the long run will take a major loss as the sell the equity unless young people get more interested in watching sports.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:18 am

80sTalkRadioFan wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:38 pm
Strange timing, as Fubo TV is adding the Bally Sports networks some time in February. I recently got an email message from Fubo that their monthly rate is going up by almost $20. Not sure if that is true for all subscribers, but I live in an area with 3 available Bally Sports Networks: Detroit, Great Lakes and Ohio, so maybe they were going to charge for each of them. Either way, that was enough for me to cancel my Fubo subscription.
Price-gouging northwest Ohioans for Bally Sports Ohio, what a fucking joke. There is NOTHING of interest around here on that channel besides the Cavs, who are probably still the #2 NBA team in Toledo after the Pistons such as it were. Certainly nobody this far north cares about the Reds.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:48 am

I haven't paid to watch any sports for 5 years. I have been streaming for 12 years, and with no options (until very recently) most streamers use rouge VPN services to get content. That's how the Napster generation watches sports. I read that one such operation had over 10,000 streamers for just one game.

I'd probably pay a subscription, but it better be easy and work on my devices.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:44 pm

CurlyHoward wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:18 am
80sTalkRadioFan wrote:
Price-gouging northwest Ohioans for Bally Sports Ohio, what a fucking joke. There is NOTHING of interest around here on that channel besides the Cavs, who are probably still the #2 NBA team in Toledo after the Pistons such as it were. Certainly nobody this far north cares about the Reds.
Bally's Ohio also carries the Blue Jackets, and Great Lakes has the Guardians.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:11 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:44 pm
CurlyHoward wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:18 am
80sTalkRadioFan wrote:
Bally's Ohio also carries the Blue Jackets, and Great Lakes has the Guardians.
Oh, well the Blue Jackets are DEFINITELY worth paying for :roll:

80sTalkRadioFan

Post by 80sTalkRadioFan » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:52 pm

LOL...At least not this year. Can't watch the Blue Jackets in Toledo/Lucas county Ohio anyway, due to NHL's territorial restrictions, Blue Jackets games are blacked out, except when they play the Red Wings.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic