Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

CNN layoffs

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
TC Talks

CNN layoffs

Post by TC Talks » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:05 am

A number of their digital commentators were let go as well but these are the on-air folks. Robin Meade has been there forever, it's kind of crappy that they didn't find a better way to lay off someone with such a history with the network.
CNN Layoffs: “a couple hundred” employees were impacted. The list of those laid off include political analyst Chris Cillizza, anchor/correspondent Martin Savidge and HLN’s Robin Meade.

In a memo to staff on Thursday (posted on Twitter by CNN’s Oliver Darcy), CNN chief executive Chris Licht wrote, “At the highest level, the goal is to direct our resources to best serve and grow audiences for our core news programming and products. To achieve these goals, we will be reducing open job positions, reimagining our workflows and aligning our staffing, investments and focus around three key strategic priorities: programming, newsgathering and digital. All decisions are designed to strengthen the core of our business.”

HLN, formerly called Headline News, is taking a major hit in this round of cuts. Live original programming is ending on the channel starting on Dec. 6. CNN will simulcast its new “CNN This Morning” on HLN. About Meade, Licht wrote, “I want to take a moment to thank Robin Meade — she is not only an exceptionally popular anchor, but also one of the longest-running morning hosts in history. I know the HLN audience will miss her and the other HLN talent.”

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: CNN layoffs

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:48 am

Chris Cillizza always annoyed me. An intellectual lightweight who thinks his obnoxious observations are more witty and insightful than they actually are. Good riddance.

HLN hasn't had a reason to exist for years. If Turner Sports, now Warner Bros. Discovery Sports, wants to launch a 24/7 sports network in the U.S., I'd have to say HLN is the logical "odd man out." I will Robin Meade is a good on-air talent, and it's stupid that she is being fired. She ought to be reassigned to CNN.

We'll see if Nexstar's struggling News Nation hires any of these cast-offs. They love to hire retreads over there.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:24 am

Turn OFF CNN please!!!

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:01 pm

I feel like it's a bad move to get rid of Robin. HLN has been a shell of its former self for years. Robin's great, but I don't know if she'd do well covering politics and foreign affairs. Over 20 years and no loyalty. HLN will now simulcast CNN This Morning.

I've heard great things about Martin Savidge's reporting and he was there for years too.

For some reason, I didn't mind Chris Cillizza's analysis, although he is a polarizing figure.

If NexStar is smart, they should hire Robin and her other on-air staff for their morning show. It might be their best shot.
Last edited by radioandtventhusiast on Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:24 am

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:12 am

I agree News Nation (or even ABC, NBC or CBS) would be wise to hire Robin.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:00 pm

It looks like they will be building studios in New York where Robin lives. I just can't see her moving given the fact that she's established in New York these days. Do they have the guts to hire a 55-year-old milf?

They are an extremely conservative texas-based company. I can't see how the politics would mesh.
Headquartered in Chicago, NewsNation is expanding its footprint in New York City and Washington, D.C., with production studios currently under construction at both locations. The NewsNation facility in New York will feature two studios, each with large state-of-the art LED video screens, multiple control rooms that have the ability to produce programming from all over the globe, and workspace accommodating 200 editorial and production staffers. The NewsNation Washington Bureau will be adding a new studio in the coming months, which will become the home of NewsNation’s senior political contributor George Will and the Network’s political editor and elections analyst Chris Stirewalt.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:15 pm

Well, they did just hire Chris Cuomo.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic