Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Pro-Palestinian terrorist protesters take over Columbia University building

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Rate This

Re: Pro-Palestinian terrorist protesters take over Columbia University building

Post by Rate This » Thu May 02, 2024 10:19 am

Honeyman wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 10:17 am
Rate This wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 10:03 am

Incidentally about a quarter of the protesters at Columbia that were arrested were non-students.

Half, according to CNN:

Roughly half of the 282 total people arrested at Columbia and CCNY were not affiliated with the schools, NYPD says
From CNN's John Miller

Out of the total 282 people arrested at both Columbia University and the City College of New York on Tuesday, 134 individuals were not affiliated with either school, according to a New York Police Department official who shared the breakdown with CNN. The remaining 148 individuals did have an affiliation with one of the two universities.
And hopefully they have the book thrown at them for any and everything they did that’s illegal. Thanks for that… the alert on my phone from 6am said a quarter so half is even more ridiculous.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu May 02, 2024 10:20 am

TC Talks wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 10:18 am
Rate This wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 9:15 pm
The trouble is the Palestinian government (Hamas) attacked Israel and Israel defended itself. Your rather one sided take when both sides of the coin are guilty as hell is disingenuous.
Actually I did condem the kidnappings here. Feel free to search my history. I am also adamant that civilians have no business being killed in this conflict.

As for Hamas being freely elected, how familiar are you with how they came to power? Israel wanted the PLO out of leadership and helped get Hamas elected in 2006. This is a messy history, and black and white statements like you just made are overly simplified.
The Growth of Hamas
The last election in Gaza occurred around 17 years ago, in 2006. The election saw a political split between the secular Fatah (a branch of the Palestinian Liberation Organization (PLO)) that dominated the PLO since the 1967 Arab-Israeli War, and the Islamist Hamas that formed in 1987 as an offshoot of Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood.

Hamas in its early days, according to former Israeli officials, was seen by the government of Israel as a counterweight to the PLO. Israel supported Hamas as a way to break the PLO's hold on the region. Retired official Avner Cohen, who worked in Gaza in the 1990s and oversaw religious affairs in the region, told the WSJ in 2009, “Hamas, to my great regret, is Israel’s creation." That report continued:

The Israeli government officially recognized a precursor to Hamas called Mujama Al Islamiya, registering the group as a charity. It allowed Mujama members to set up an Islamic university and build mosques, clubs and schools. Crucially, Israel often stood aside when the Islamists and their secular left-wing Palestinian rivals battled, sometimes violently, for influence in both Gaza and the West Bank.
They use human shields and nestle fighters amongst the civilian population… as a great general with lots of combat experience solve that problem for the rest of the class…

zzand

Post by zzand » Thu May 02, 2024 10:25 am

A sad fact of any war or terrorist attack, 9-11 anyone, is innocents are always among the victims.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu May 02, 2024 10:35 am

Rate This wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 10:20 am
TC Talks wrote:
Rate This wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 9:15 pm
The trouble is the Palestinian government (Hamas) attacked Israel and Israel defended itself. Your rather one sided take when both sides of the coin are guilty as hell is disingenuous.
Actually I did condem the kidnappings here. Feel free to search my history. I am also adamant that civilians have no business being killed in this conflict.

As for Hamas being freely elected, how familiar are you with how they came to power? Israel wanted the PLO out of leadership and helped get Hamas elected in 2006. This is a messy history, and black and white statements like you just made are overly simplified.
The Growth of Hamas
The last election in Gaza occurred around 17 years ago, in 2006. The election saw a political split between the secular Fatah (a branch of the Palestinian Liberation Organization (PLO)) that dominated the PLO since the 1967 Arab-Israeli War, and the Islamist Hamas that formed in 1987 as an offshoot of Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood.

Hamas in its early days, according to former Israeli officials, was seen by the government of Israel as a counterweight to the PLO. Israel supported Hamas as a way to break the PLO's hold on the region. Retired official Avner Cohen, who worked in Gaza in the 1990s and oversaw religious affairs in the region, told the WSJ in 2009, “Hamas, to my great regret, is Israel’s creation." That report continued:

The Israeli government officially recognized a precursor to Hamas called Mujama Al Islamiya, registering the group as a charity. It allowed Mujama members to set up an Islamic university and build mosques, clubs and schools. Crucially, Israel often stood aside when the Islamists and their secular left-wing Palestinian rivals battled, sometimes violently, for influence in both Gaza and the West Bank.
They use human shields and nestle fighters amongst the civilian population… as a great general with lots of combat experience solve that problem for the rest of the class…
I agree that the terrorists are evil and really don't care about who they harm. However, as with any war, you can not target civilians with attacks against enemies. These are the rules established globally, and no army gets a pass on these terms of engagement. IDF has the capacity to go after bad guys without killing civilians.

BTW, the US and its allies killed 300,000 Iraqi citizens, so I am not suggesting this kind of activity is exclusive to the IDF.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu May 02, 2024 10:39 am

Rate This wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 10:19 am
And hopefully they have the book thrown at them for any and everything they did that’s illegal. Thanks for that… the alert on my phone from 6am said a quarter so half is even more ridiculous.
How far do you think the justice system is going to go for citizens voicing an opinion you disagree with? Trespassing and vandalism? They are misdemeanor tickets. I have family in Manhattan, trust me when I tell you that these kinds of protests go on everyday for a variety of reasons. This just happened to get national attention so Eric Adams got involved.
― Matt

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu May 02, 2024 10:42 am

TC Talks wrote:
Actually I did condem the kidnappings here. Feel free to search my history.
I do recall you doing that. But you also posted this:

I've called you out now on at least 3 separate occasions for posting this graphic and you continue to ignore my request for an explanation. That graphic explicitly expresses support for the terrorists who parachuted and para-glided into Israel to carry out the attack.

So excuse us if we don't take seriously anything you have to say about this. You either refuse to admit that you were wrong and that you didn't really understand what that graphic means, or you do sympathize with the terrorists. It has to be one or the other.

zzand

Post by zzand » Thu May 02, 2024 10:45 am

However, as with any war, you can not target civilians with attacks against enemies. We sure followed these rules with two atom bombs on Japan didn't we?

radiofann

Post by radiofann » Thu May 02, 2024 10:54 am

zzand wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 10:25 am
A sad fact of any war or terrorist attack, 9-11 anyone, is innocents are always among the victims.
For 9-11, how many soldiers were stationed at NYC World Trade Center? Those were all innocents. Funny how the terorists spent the night before at strip clubs enjoying taboo western culture like strippers and alcohol.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu May 02, 2024 10:58 am

zzand wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 10:45 am
However, as with any war, you can not target civilians with attacks against enemies. We sure followed these rules with two atom bombs on Japan didn't we?
I agree totally. Is it just? Is it legal? The H Bomb situation has been debated by many people. In this case, will killing citizens end the conflict or inflame it? In the H Bomb Case, Japan surrendered immediately.
― Matt

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu May 02, 2024 11:00 am

bmw wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 10:42 am
TC Talks wrote:
Actually I did condem the kidnappings here. Feel free to search my history.
I do recall you doing that. But you also posted this:

Hear me: I will always stand with innocent civilians being killed or starved. Period.
― Matt

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu May 02, 2024 11:07 am

TC Talks wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 11:00 am
Hear me: I will always stand with innocent civilians being killed or starved. Period.
Please explain to us what the parachute in your graphic represents.

zzand

Post by zzand » Thu May 02, 2024 11:17 am

Maybe if Hamas quits hiding in homes, hospitals and other places where citizens are the situation would be better, but terrorists tend to be cowards in the end so they use innocent people and those people get killed during the action. The IDF is not responsible for that aspect of Hamas behavior so I would say 50 percent of the blame goes to Hamas.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu May 02, 2024 11:19 am

TC Talks wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 10:39 am
Rate This wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 10:19 am
How far do you think the justice system is going to go for citizens voicing an opinion you disagree with? Trespassing and vandalism? They are misdemeanor tickets. I have family in Manhattan, trust me when I tell you that these kinds of protests go on everyday for a variety of reasons. This just happened to get national attention so Eric Adams got involved.
Well trespassing, malicious destruction of property, unlawful protest and possibly assault if they didn’t surrender immediately for starters. If you’re so ok with it why don’t we all come to your front lawn and camp out there to protest your graphic? Surely you’re ok with that… we’ll set up a fort and the whole shebang… and we can recruit some random agitators to cause a ruckus and break some of your windows while we are at it. It’ll be half Buzzboard and half recruits. Whatta ya say… deal?

zzand

Post by zzand » Thu May 02, 2024 11:26 am

Can we pee and poop on his lawn?

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu May 02, 2024 11:49 am

TC Talks wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 10:39 am
Trespassing and vandalism? They are misdemeanor tickets. I have family in Manhattan, trust me when I tell you that these kinds of protests go on everyday for a variety of reasons. This just happened to get national attention so Eric Adams got involved.
Now THIS is an interesting take from someone who believes that the January 6th rioters who did nothing more than those things should be rotting in prison.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic