Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Truth IPO: Trump's next grift

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Truth IPO: Trump's next grift

Post by TC Talks » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:49 am

Trump's Truth platform just went public in a boutique market IPO. Some unusual buys have propelled it to a valuation of $9B.

Will Trump try to sell shares to raise cash before the stock crashes?

Who are the suckers that will get stuck?

From The Guardian
How can it possibly be worth $9bn?
The glib answer is “because the most recent price someone bought a share of the company at is $66.46”. The valuation of a publicly traded company such as Truth Social – officially, the Trump Media & Technology Group Corp, with the stock ticker DJT, referencing its founder’s initials – is just a product of multiplying the value of an individual share with the number outstanding.

Typically, that value, known as the market capitalisation, is kept in check by reference to the “fundamentals” of the company: how much money it makes or loses, and how fast it is growing or shrinking. But sometimes … it isn’t.

In the case of Truth Social, its revenue during the first nine months of last year was just $3.3m from advertising, and it recorded a loss of $49m.

Why don’t investors care about the fundamentals?
Historically, the big reason why stock valuations become detached from reality is speculative bubbles. Even if you don’t think a company is particularly valuable, it may still be worth buying their stock at a high price if you think you can sell it on at an even higher price.

But Truth Social seems to be part of a more recent phenomenon: the “meme stock”.

What is a meme stock?
The term was coined to describe a small group of publicly traded stocks that have attracted a big proportion of private “retail” investors. Those investors typically use zero-commission trading apps such as Robinhood to take a much more active role in the markets than has been typical for individuals until recently, and coordinate on social media, particularly sites such as Reddit, to share stock tips.

Infamously, the valuation of the American video game retailer GameStop rose by more than 1,800%, after a critical mass of investors coordinated on the WallStreetBets subreddit to take a stake. The investors’ theory was that an engineered “short squeeze” could force those who had “shorted” GameStop – that is, bet on its share price falling – to buy the shares back at inflated valuations. Three years on, GameStop remains almost 10 times more valuable than it was just before it achieved meme stock status – and just a quarter off its peak.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

FakeAndyStuart

Re: Truth IPO: Trump's next grift

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 am

The thing to remember about DJT -
Yahoo Financial at 7:20 am 3/28/24 wrote:Trump Media & Technology Group Corp. (DJT)

66.22. +8.23 (+14.19%) At close: March 27 at 4:00 PM EDT
64.90 -1.32 (-1.99%) Pre-Market: 7:19 AM EDT
It's not really a piece of ownership or an investment vehicle. It's a Beanie Baby, or a Dutch tulip. It's a Trump Digital Trading Card. It's worth whatever someone will pay for it. And right now, Trump himself can't sell a single share to anyone... which means for him, it's worth ZERO until he can monetize it. That's why he's hawking bibles.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 am

FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 am
The thing to remember about DJT -
Yahoo Financial at 7:20 am 3/28/24 wrote:Trump Media & Technology Group Corp. (DJT)

66.22. +8.23 (+14.19%) At close: March 27 at 4:00 PM EDT
64.90 -1.32 (-1.99%) Pre-Market: 7:19 AM EDT
It's not really a piece of ownership or an investment vehicle. It's a Beanie Baby, or a Dutch tulip. It's a Trump Digital Trading Card. It's worth whatever someone will pay for it. And right now, Trump himself can't sell a single share to anyone... which means for him, it's worth ZERO until he can monetize it. That's why he's hawking bibles.
I do believe Tulip Mania has risen from the dead.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:40 am

If he can get the board to allow his shares to be collateralized, he'll be in the money. This won't happen before the deadline though.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 am

I've even heard some Trump supporters in the media refer to this as a "meme" stock. The million dollar question (or rather billion dollar question) is whether it can hold this price for 6 months. I seriously doubt it. Nevertheless, Trump will ultimately cash out a substantial amount of money at some point.

Me personally, I wouldn't touch this one. Even day traders could get burned if they're not careful.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 am

bmw wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 am
I've even heard some Trump supporters in the media refer to this as a "meme" stock. The million dollar question (or rather billion dollar question) is whether it can hold this price for 6 months. I seriously doubt it. Nevertheless, Trump will ultimately cash out a substantial amount of money at some point.

Me personally, I wouldn't touch this one. Even day traders could get burned if they're not careful.
Of course it could also crash into the under $15 range (it’s at about 4 times it’s estimated value right now) then he’d have a lot of money maybe but if there were another judgement against him would it be enough?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:14 pm

No, his suckers haven't been bilked enough. BMW, how many shares have you purchased?
― Noam Chomsky

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:26 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:14 pm
No, his suckers haven't been bilked enough. BMW, how many shares have you purchased?
What part of "Me personally, I wouldn't touch this one" challenged your reading comprehension?

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:52 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:26 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:14 pm
What part of "Me personally, I wouldn't touch this one" challenged your reading comprehension?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:40 am
If he can get the board to allow his shares to be collateralized, he'll be in the money. This won't happen before the deadline though.
If he cashes out right after the locked up share can be traded there's going to be a whole lotta bagholders very unhappy when the price per share tanks. It's once thing to stoke the fires of an insurrection or deny women reproductive heath care but by God, start fucking with people's money that might be invested for retirement and the next gallows they'll be building with be painted orange.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 pm

First off, anybody whose retirement is dependent on having invested in a single stock (DJT or otherwise) is an idiot and gets whatever they have coming to them. Second, I'm not aware of any women who were "denied reproductive healthcare" during Trump's tenure.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 pm
First off, anybody whose retirement is dependent on having invested in a single stock (DJT or otherwise) is an idiot and gets whatever they have coming to them. Second, I'm not aware of any women who were "denied reproductive healthcare" during Trump's tenure.
Only because Dobbs was decided after he had left office.
The censorship king from out of state.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 pm

bmw wrote:
What will it take for you to stop the mental gymnastics and admit what you already know? That is: Trump is a despicable, selfish embarrassment unworthy of anyone's support.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 pm
bmw wrote:
OH, you and he mean "denied the right to kill babies." Got it. Look, if you can sugar-coat abortion as "reproductive healthcare," then I can go equally in the other direction and call it murder.

teetoppz28

Post by teetoppz28 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 pm
bmw wrote:
Typical Republican viewpoint:

110% pro-life until the baby is born... then fuck'em! :rollin
Dropping knowledge on forum MAGAts.
Unapologetically intellectually superior.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic