Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Why do people homeschool, and why is every parent who homeschools a giant creep?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Matt

Why do people homeschool, and why is every parent who homeschools a giant creep?

Post by Matt » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:55 pm

In Michigan, some are taking steps to register terrible parents that believe their children are their property. Homeschooling is abhorrent in 99.99% of occurrences. We should be looking to ban this awful practice but requiring registration is a good start.

https://www.bridgemi.com/talent-educati ... l-registry

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

bmw

Re: Why do people homeschool, and why is every parent who homeschools a giant creep?

Post by bmw » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:29 pm

Is your goal to be the most obnoxious bigot in this forum? Because you're quickly moving up the ranks.

Matt

Re: Why do people homeschool, and why is every parent who homeschools a giant creep?

Post by Matt » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:36 pm

bmw wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:29 pm
Is your goal to be the most obnoxious bigot in this forum? Because you're quickly moving up the ranks.
1. You're voting for Trump - you're not allowed to call ANYONE a bigot.

2. How is it bigoted to want to avoid this:
In December, Attorney Gen. Dana Nessel charged four adoptive families in Clinton County with child abuse for allegedly using homeschooling as a guise to abuse the children.

After the charges were filed, Nessel tweeted that “the homeschooling environment allowed abuse to go unnoticed” and that “implementing monitoring mechanisms is crucial to ensure that all children, including those homeschooled, receive necessary protections.”

A 2018 study by Connecticut’s Office of the Child Advocate found that 36% of children removed from school to be homeschooled lived with families with a history of reported child abuse or neglect. Connecticut is also a no-registration, low-regulation homeschool state.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:56 pm

You're a bigot because you said 9,999 out of every 10,000 parents who home-school their children are "abhorrent." Just like how you're a bigot against women who choose to live a traditional lifestyle.

As to the 36% citation, that is from Hartford, a city where child abuse is double the national average. Do you have so much as a shred of evidence that children who are home-schooled, nationally, have a higher abuse rate than those who aren't? One thing I do know is that children who are home-schooled score significantly higher on standardized tests than those who are not.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:00 pm

bmw wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:29 pm
With all due respect… many homeschooled folks come out screwed up.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:17 pm

Matt wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:55 pm
In Michigan, some are taking steps to register terrible parents that believe their children are their property. Homeschooling is abhorrent in 99.99% of occurrences. We should be looking to ban this awful practice but requiring registration is a good start.

https://www.bridgemi.com/talent-educati ... l-registry
I have personal experience with this as my brother was homeschooled the final two years of high school as my parents could not afford private tuition any longer after 2002. I cannot advocate it for the robbery that it does to one's social economy. I will leave it at that.

And yes, the homeschool networks are either far right or left. There isn't proper balance.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:03 am

I'm not suggesting that homeschooling is for everyone (or even a majority) nor am I suggesting that it is something that should be done for all 12 years of one's childhood education. What I'm asking is, outside of anecdotal evidence or one study that looked at 6 counties in an area already notorious for child abuse, is there evidence that compared to children who go entirely through a public school that children who are home-schooled are any less equipped to deal with the real world in adulthood?

What I take issue with is Matt's blanket statement that every single parent who homeschools their child is an abhorrent creep. Because that is just not true. There are many parents who take the responsibility seriously.

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:49 am

While I know of plenty of homeschooled people who turned out perfectly fine, I would like to see some regulation around it. My cousin, who had pretty bad behavioral problems, was taken out of school in the fifth grade. My aunt stated she was homeschooling him to comply with Michigan’s truancy laws but he never did a thing except play video games and is now a 30 year old with a fifth grade education and zero work experience.

Parents have a variety of reasons to homeschool, and given the proliferation of co-op groups, they’re mostly getting the socialization. Like I said before, I would like to see more regulation with it so that all children are getting their educational needs met, unlike my cousin.

zzand

Post by zzand » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:53 am

In my area it is regulated. The school study course must be followed and monthly updates must be given to the superintendents office and they must come into the school for testing. They are also eligible for all sports teams.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:12 am

Matt is the new TCT.

I personally have employed Home School students and adults, and were good, and nice thing they weren't welded to their phones, at least.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:41 am

audiophile wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:12 am
Matt is the new TCT.
When I first responded to this post, that was my thought, but I didn't go quite that far in my actual response. But it is true. Matt routinely exhibits a strong bigotry against people who hold traditional values.

Of course, conservatives aren't allowed to so much as say anything even remotely approaching criticism of people with "progressive" lifestyles, but liberals can say vile, hateful things about those who are traditional in their values and that's perfectly acceptable.

Such a double standard.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:22 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:41 am
audiophile wrote:
Matt is the new TCT.
When I first responded to this post, that was my thought, but I didn't go quite that far in my actual response. But it is true. Matt routinely exhibits a strong bigotry against people who hold traditional values.

Of course, conservatives aren't allowed to so much as say anything even remotely approaching criticism of people with "progressive" lifestyles, but liberals can say vile, hateful things about those who are traditional in their values and that's perfectly acceptable.

Such a double standard.
Are you accusing Matt of being a liberal?

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:34 pm

Rate This wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:22 pm
bmw wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:41 am
audiophile wrote:
Matt is the new TCT.

Such a double standard.
Are you accusing Matt of being a liberal?
It's not the first time he's done that. I'm generally a live and let live person, but I'm not going to bow down to the so-called traditional values nonsense. What he means is white Christian values. This manifests itself in his beloved Donald Trump. Donald Trump is a disgusting, hateful person who is using his supporters bigotry toward immigrants and generally people who are not white to attempt to gain power again, and BMW, Audiophile, and Bryce are more than happy to co-sign that effort. I will be clear and state I'm not suggesting that they are racist - they have their own policy preferences for supporting Trump. I wish they would acknowledge the reality.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:22 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:03 am
What I take issue with is Matt's blanket statement that every single parent who homeschools their child is an abhorrent creep. Because that is just not true. There are many parents who take the responsibility seriously.
How many parents would you say are responsible?

I had a classmate in College who was homeschooled. He was bright and socially capable. He did his graduate work at an Ivy league.

I also had several people I served at a homelessness shelter who were homeschooled and had no skills including social skills. They were effectively limited for the rest of their lives.

I say bullshit that parents always know best. Schools catch abuse, treatable mental disorders, and provide a basic social network for students. I have witnessed students get pulled out of school when parents are confronted with abuse or challenges that they simply don't want to hear about. How do we protect those kids?

And I bet my fiscal outlook on this country is similar to Matt's because we both seem to have an understanding of how life works. We are also well educated.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:45 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:22 pm
How many parents would you say are responsible?

I have no idea. But that's not the point. Matt said, and I quote, "every parent who homeschools [is] a giant creep" and then went on to clarify that his statement applies to 99.99% of all parents who choose to homeschool their children. I called him out for that BS claim. So why are you asking me such a question when the question really should be directed at Matt?
TC Talks wrote:
I had a classmate in College who was homeschooled. He was bright and socially capable. He did his graduate work at an Ivy league.

I also had several people I served at a homelessness shelter who were homeschooled and had no skills including social skills. They were effectively limited for the rest of their lives.
Great. So everybody here has anecdotal stories. If you want mine, I have 3 cousins who were home-schooled - 2 of them all the way through 12th grade and 1 through middle school. All 3 are married (2 with children) and successful, normal human beings. I personally have no horror stories to share. I attended a public school. And looking back, I'm thankful that the one I attended, at least while I was there, was a good one.
TC Talks wrote:
I say bullshit that parents always know best.
Except before the child is born, correct? Because during that 9 months, your argument is that the mother ALWAYS knows best and that it is none of the government's damn business what the mother does with her child. Then as soon as the child is born, its best interests are now determined by the government?
TC Talks wrote:
Schools catch abuse, treatable mental disorders, and provide a basic social network for students. I have witnessed students get pulled out of school when parents are confronted with abuse or challenges that they simply don't want to hear about. How do we protect those kids?
I'm not suggesting that schools shouldn't bear that responsibility. Where did I ever say that?
TC Talks wrote:
And I bet my fiscal outlook on this country is similar to Matt's because we both seem to have an understanding of how life works. We are also well educated.
Are you suggesting that I don't or that I'm not well educated? I graduated 4th in my class in high school and from college with 2 Bachelor's degrees including a Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science. I've worked since I was 16 including running the tech department of a 1200-student public school system and now owning and running my own business.
Last edited by bmw on Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic