Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Getting a third person as president

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Round Six

Getting a third person as president

Post by Round Six » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:07 am

Because I'm unsure of the logistics involved, help me out.

A celebrity decides today they want to run for President.
What's the process to get on the ballot?
Is it too late to get on the November ballot?

I'm not so much interested in their chances of winning. Just how someone would go about it if they just now decided to run.
Thanks.

Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

km1125

Re: Getting a third person as president

Post by km1125 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:17 pm

I believe they'd have to register in enough states so that their electoral total could exceed 270. So they don't really have to register in ALL states, but certainly the big ones. Most (all?) states have a signature requirement for the petition but that might only be a few thousand. In a place like NYS, you need about 45,000. The filing deadlines vary, but most are in the August/September timeframe.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:26 pm

km1125 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:17 pm
I believe they'd have to register in enough states so that their electoral total could exceed 270. So they don't really have to register in ALL states, but certainly the big ones. Most (all?) states have a signature requirement for the petition but that might only be a few thousand. In a place like NYS, you need about 45,000. The filing deadlines vary, but most are in the August/September timeframe.
This is pretty much it… but getting that many signatures in that many places is a tall order. Kennedy did just get on in Nevada.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:32 pm

If a true "celebrity" decided to do it, I'd bet they could.

Using twitter (X), FB and other social media to direct folks to a small organization within each state would/could certainly fulfill the signature requirements. I'd bet they could do that in a week or two. There really is no financial hurdle, as most of the fees are pretty reasonable, and as long as they could marshal volunteers to get the signatures they wouldn't even need to establish offices.

But whether they could actually garner enough votes to win is a whole 'nuther story. Many might support getting them on the ballot but like any third-party race voters might not want to 'waste' their vote and risk their next-best candidate losing.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:36 pm

Swifty (Matt's crush) could do it.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:04 pm

What about going back whoever gets most electoral votes is president, second place is VP?

It takes a constitutional amendment, I know.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:17 pm

audiophile wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:04 pm
What about going back whoever gets most electoral votes is president, second place is VP?

I don't think you could go with the "second most votes", because you'd always have a conflict between the two major parties. How about who gets the THIRD most votes?? That might be interesting.

However, i really think we should just eliminate the current party-based primary system and just implement ranked-candidate primaries (if necessary) to wean down the field to a manageable number for the general election.. say 4 to 6 candidates. If a party wants to endorse and support any particular candidate, that's up to them and up to them to figure out which one to pick.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:22 pm

km1125 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:17 pm
audiophile wrote:

I don't think you could go with the "second most votes", because you'd always have a conflict between the two major parties. How about who gets the THIRD most votes?? That might be interesting.

However, i really think we should just eliminate the current party-based primary system and just implement ranked-candidate primaries (if necessary) to wean down the field to a manageable number for the general election.. say 4 to 6 candidates. If a party wants to endorse and support any particular candidate, that's up to them and up to them to figure out which one to pick.
The only thing is the countries with multiple parties are inherently unstable. So it can take a year to get leadership installed after the election because you have to cobble together a coalition made up of the parties that won seats. It’s a nightmare but that’s a parliamentary system… once you read up on what happens and how they get a governing coalition and how easily it can dissolve and new election is called to do it all over again… this isn’t so bad.

zzand

Post by zzand » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:28 pm

I dare say Ms Swift could qualify for the ballot in all 50 states in a single day

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:57 pm

audiophile wrote:

This caught my interest. When say "go back", do you mean at one time that's the way it was? First I've heard that.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:09 am

zzand wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:28 pm
I dare say Ms Swift could qualify for the ballot in all 50 states in a single day
She’ll make the age cut by a month.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic