Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

If you vote today...

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: If you vote today...

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:14 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:17 am
The spin by some that Haley somehow had a decent showing yesterday is absurd, in my opinion.

She lost by 40 points in an OPEN primary, in a purple state, to a rather unpopular former President. She got her ass kicked.

I would be curious to know how her percentage of the vote compared to that of Pat Buchanan in 1992, bearing in mind George H.W. Bush had rather high approval ratings heading into reelection.

If Trump somehow is incapacitated from continuing his campaign, his delegates don't automatically go to the runner-up. Such a scenario would leave it up to convention delegates to choose whom to support. They most likely would support someone handpicked by Trump or his inner circle.
Yeah, I don’t get the “Haley overperformed” mantra from the left I am seeing from leftist pundits. She crapped the bed. Anything less than 40% is a pure L.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:34 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
The spin by some that Haley somehow had a decent showing yesterday is absurd, in my opinion.

She lost by 40 points in an OPEN primary, in a purple state, to a rather unpopular former President. She got her ass kicked.

I would be curious to know how her percentage of the vote compared to that of Pat Buchanan in 1992, bearing in mind George H.W. Bush had rather high approval ratings heading into reelection.

If Trump somehow is incapacitated from continuing his campaign, his delegates don't automatically go to the runner-up. Such a scenario would leave it up to convention delegates to choose whom to support. They most likely would support someone handpicked by Trump or his inner circle.
Bush won 67-25 in 92 with 7% going elsewhere.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:35 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:12 pm
Rate This wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:19 am
Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:01 am
Rate This wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:17 am
Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:52 pm
Uncommitted defeated Biden in Sterling Heights precincts 1, 2,4, and 8 on the Democratic side.These are precincts with a high amount of Arab Americans. Biden should be a little worried.

Warren has still yet to report. I will be very interested to see the SW Warren voting results as they have a high Bangladesh population.
Are these people simply infinitely stupid or politically illiterate or both? If they don’t show up in November and cause Trump to get in the policy is a rubber stamp for Netanyahu… I’m no expert but they don’t look like Netanyahu fans to me… the progressives who rallied this deserve to be pushed off a cliff.

That said…. We’ve had uncommitted take a sizable share several times in recent memory and they set a stupidly low bar at 10%.
I voted uncommitted. I am a progressive first, Biden supporter second. Biden is the lesser of two weasels/evils.
You’re no better than a freedom caucuser then. Ideology first and practicality second. First to whine when the lack of strategy employed backfires spectacularly. I don’t mind some of the ideas but progressives have the political sense of a houseplant.
It’s my vote. I can do with it as I see fit. Biden needs to handle Palestine better as well as income inequality. He will get my vote in the general, but you can’t force me to vote for him every single damn primary. I didn’t vote for him in ‘20 either.

Love her or hate her, I really liked what Haley said about small business. I am sure it was just platitudes, but it’s a worthwhile sound bite.
I was more talking the general. Talaib has been pushing people to not vote or whatever there too. She’s nuts. Because what she gets if Biden loses is a hell of a lot worse for her pet issue. Bibi gets to do whatever he wants with us sending him weapons.
Last edited by Rate This on Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:42 pm

Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:14 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:

Yeah, I don’t get the “Haley overperformed” mantra from the left I am seeing from leftist pundits. She crapped the bed. Anything less than 40% is a pure L.
She did a few points better than the polls had it. Trump underperformed by about 10 points or so.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:02 pm

Rate This wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:42 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:

She did a few points better than the polls had it. Trump underperformed by about 10 points or so.
He said he was going to win by 80.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:23 pm

Matt wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:02 pm
Rate This wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:

The polls said 75-80 to her 20-25 so he underperformed them… he’s a moron (ok we knew that) if he thought he could win by 80.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:49 pm

Rate This wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:23 pm
Matt wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:02 pm
Rate This wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:

The polls said 75-80 to her 20-25 so he underperformed them… he’s a moron (ok we knew that) if he thought he could win by 80.
This is news to BMW and Bryce.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

zzand

Post by zzand » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:31 am

A protest movement to cast "uncommitted" votes over President Joe Biden in Michigan's Democratic primary is estimated to have won two delegates in the nominating race -- evidence that Biden's detractors gained some traction in the swing state after winning 13% of the total votes compared to Biden's 81%.

Overall, 117 Democratic delegates are apportioned based on the results of Tuesday’s primary and it's estimated that Biden won 115 while the uncommitted vote will win two.

That means uncommitted's voters will have a voice -- even if a relatively small one -- at the Democratic Party's national convention in August,

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:07 am

Interesting tidbit I just heard.... Trump only won about 59% in Kent County in the primary which is not really very good. This from Jeff Timmer who used to be rather big in the Michigan Republican Party leadership.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/ex-michigan-r ... 11034.html

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:42 am

I didn't vote for Trump in the primary, for two reasons:

1) My support, if you want to call it that, has always been tepid, and only came late in the first term. Without Pence on ticket my concerns are growing again.

2) I believe in "one bite of the apple" principal. He lost a Presidental election, therefore time for someone new. Same for Romney, McCain, Dole, GHW Bush, Ford, etc.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:52 am

Fair points. The last do-over general election candidate to win a later Presidential general election was - wait for it - Richard Nixon! :barf

Of course, a number of folks have lost primary contests within their party who later succeeded in winning their party's nomination - and in a number of cases - the Presidency. Biden is one such example.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:56 am

Rate This wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:07 am
Interesting tidbit I just heard.... Trump only won about 59% in Kent County in the primary which is not really very good. This from Jeff Timmer who used to be rather big in the Michigan Republican Party leadership.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/ex-michigan-r ... 11034.html
I like this quip of his:

“Chlamydia is more popular than Donald Trump among college-educated white voters, especially white women."

😁

Contrary to popular belief, Kent County as a whole has never been a bastion of ultra conservatism in recent times. Gerald Ford, Paul Henry and Vern Ehlers were either centrists or center-right.

There are pockets of Kent County, of course, that lean strongly conservative.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:53 pm

I can't remember who I voted for, but it was neither Trump nor Haley.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:04 am

paul8539 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:53 pm
I can't remember who I voted for, but it was neither Trump nor Haley.
We all know you're a misogynist, so that is not a surprise.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:21 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:52 am
Fair points. The last do-over general election candidate to win a later Presidential general election was - wait for it - Richard Nixon! :barf

Of course, a number of folks have lost primary contests within their party who later succeeded in winning their party's nomination - and in a number of cases - the Presidency. Biden is one such example.
Just curious...who would you have preferred in that election (only knowing what we knew in 1968)?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic