Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The Trump trial is already a shit show

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: The Trump trial is already a shit show

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:34 pm

I'm still at a complete loss as to why the State of NY feels it is entitled to receive $364 million in recompense.

If the verdict isn't overturned outright on appeal, at minimum the fine will be very sharply reduced.

I cannot stand Trump, but this ruling from the bench is bullshit. The prohibition against serving in an officer capacity for 2 or 3 years, I can somewhat understand, but the amount of the monetary fine is ludicrous. I also am confused as to how a case of this magnitude is not required to be a jury trial under law.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:58 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:34 pm
I'm still at a complete loss as to why the State of NY feels it is entitled to receive $364 million in recompense.

If the verdict isn't overturned outright on appeal, at minimum the fine will be very sharply reduced.

I cannot stand Trump, but this ruling from the bench is bullshit. The prohibition against serving in an officer capacity for 2 or 3 years, I can somewhat understand, but the amount of the monetary fine is ludicrous. I also am confused as to how a case of this magnitude is not required to be a jury trial under law.
As I understand it Trump and his legal team were given the opportunity to have the case tried in front of a jury. His team (specifically Habba) failed to file or sign off on the paperwork that would have made it happen.

As for the amount of money, it took some 80 million dollars to force Trump to no longer libel and harass E. Jean Carroll when a prior $5M judgement wouldn't stop him, so I don't think it's unreasonable for the state of New York to take the same tack. What would you have fined him?

EDIT: I'm watching Trump making his statement in Florida and even with a fine of $350M this fuckwit hasn't learned a thing.
Last edited by Lester The Nightfly on Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:02 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:59 pm
Trump has been sued 1,929 times.

I don't know how TC Talks defines being "legitimately" sued, but Trump lost 41 of those cases.

https://www.azcentral.com/pages/interac ... -lawsuits/

So is 41 cases a lot to lose? Arguably. But it is literally 1 percent of the exaggerated 4000 number cited.
Are we now up to 42 losses?
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:20 pm

Matt wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:02 pm
bmw wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:59 pm
Trump has been sued 1,929 times.

I don't know how TC Talks defines being "legitimately" sued, but Trump lost 41 of those cases.

https://www.azcentral.com/pages/interac ... -lawsuits/

So is 41 cases a lot to lose? Arguably. But it is literally 1 percent of the exaggerated 4000 number cited.
Are we now up to 42 losses?
.....and counting
The censorship king from out of state.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:43 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:34 pm

The fine is meant to make a statement to him I am guessing. A $50 Million fine is a parking ticket.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:52 pm

Jesus Christ. 355 million? I can't even comprehend the amount of money that is. How the hell do you pay that?
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:57 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:52 pm
Jesus Christ. 355 million? I can't even comprehend the amount of money that is. How the hell do you pay that?
Sell some shit?

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:58 pm

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:57 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Sell some shit?
I just can't imagine the feeling I would have if someone said I had to pay 355 million bucks. I'm shocked by that number.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:29 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:21 pm
BMW,

Your defense of Trump's legal history isn't winning you any points. It's embarrassing for him, and I haven't even started with lawsuits against his companies... He's a dirtbag.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_ ... %80%932009
Where did I defend him? I did nothing more than call out your 100x exaggeration for what it was.

I would point out though, that 41 losses out of 1929 times being sued amounts to losing 2.1% of the cases where he's sued. That's a lower percentage than the estimated 4-6% of inmates who are innocent of the crimes for which they were convicted. And the government in those cases had to overcome a much higher threshold (guilty beyond a reasonable doubt) to convict those people compared to Trump and his civil suits (guilty by a preponderance of the evidence). Put another way - sue any random person 1900 times for various things they've done in their life and that person is going to suffer some losses.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:51 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:29 pm
TC Talks wrote:
BMW,

Your defense of Trump's legal history isn't winning you any points. It's embarrassing for him, and I haven't even started with lawsuits against his companies... He's a dirtbag.

Where did I defend him? I did nothing more than call out your 100x exaggeration for what it was.

I would point out though, that 41 losses out of 1929 times being sued amounts to losing 2.1% of the cases where he's sued. That's a lower percentage than the estimated 4-6% of inmates who are innocent of the crimes for which they were convicted. And the government in those cases had to overcome a much higher threshold (guilty beyond a reasonable doubt) to convict those people compared to Trump and his civil suits (guilty by a preponderance of the evidence). Put another way - sue any random person 1900 times for various things they've done in their life and that person is going to suffer some losses.
You’re indirectly defending him right now…

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:02 pm

Rate This wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:51 pm
bmw wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:29 pm
TC Talks wrote:
BMW,

You’re indirectly defending him right now…
:lol:
The censorship king from out of state.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:24 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
AMEX to get the points.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

radiofann

Post by radiofann » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:38 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:24 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
AMEX to get the points.
Trump should pull a Kwame kilpatrick and claim poverty and not pay it, or drag it out 20 years. He should have proactively Put everything in Melanie or Barons name.

He claims to pay no taxes (“ stupid people pay taxes “) so he can claim no income, and transfer assets amongst family members.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:48 pm

radiofann wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:38 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:24 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
AMEX to get the points.
Trump should pull a Kwame kilpatrick and claim poverty and not pay it, or drag it out 20 years. He should have proactively Put everything in Melanie or Barons name.

He claims to pay no taxes (“ stupid people pay taxes “) so he can claim no income, and transfer assets amongst family members.
Not anytime soon. Remember, his finances are being overseen by a court appointed "minder" to prevent the very thing you're describing. Not long ago Trump attempted to "move" around some funds and the minder shut that shit down in a New York minute.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:12 pm

It's true, Trump's corporations now have an executive level conservator approving everything.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic