Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Next Speaker Predictions

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Next Speaker Predictions

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:13 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:03 am
Chinese Fire drill and Mexican standoff are raciest.
Sincerely, Woke Po Po
You forgot "Indian Summer".

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:15 pm

zzand wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:43 am
The MAGA crowd is behind the problems involving a new speaker. They are not going to vote for anyone who won't embrace their bullshit agenda.
Absolutely true, unfortunately.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:29 pm

zzand wrote:
The MAGA crowd is behind the problems involving a new speaker. They are not going to vote for anyone who won't embrace their bullshit agenda.
I agree to the extent that Trump is arguably the reason that the Republican majority in the House is so small to begin with, and hence, why such a small number of Republicans effectively yield a disproportionate amount of power.

However, one could argue that this is a silly argument considering that pro-MAGA Republicans are the majority within the party.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:43 pm

Most of us just see a shit show. Shit shows don't tend to sway independent voters.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:10 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:29 pm
zzand wrote:
I agree to the extent that Trump is arguably the reason that the Republican majority in the House is so small to begin with, and hence, why such a small number of Republicans effectively yield a disproportionate amount of power.

However, one could argue that this is a silly argument considering that pro-MAGA Republicans are the majority within the party.
But they are not the majority among GOP house members… most privately think he’s an absolute disaster but they are afraid to cross the base. Long term the party will be unlikely to survive if it maintains course because it’s built on not changing and adhering to one static ideology. No matter the subject… not adapting is the quickest way to die. Not having a single concrete policy idea beyond cutting taxes is a second fatal flaw. 20 years tops and it’ll be 30% of the country as the base dies off and millenials and Gen Z begin running things. It’ll be a rural regional party and reforms and modernizations will begin not unlike what happened after about 1896.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:30 am

So, what happens if no House Speaker is elected, say, a month from now? How does the legislative agenda get determined?

Sounds like most business will be tabled until either (i) a new speaker is elected or (ii) McHenry's authority is expanded by way of passage of new rules?

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4253 ... -deadlock/

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:05 am

Looks like the Pro-Tem power will be expanded, with the help of Democrats.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:20 am

Or the Democrats recuit 6 Republicans to elect a moderate speaker.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:50 am

I'm an outsider with no real understanding of US politics. Can someone explain to me how a majority party can't elect a speaker?
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:33 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:50 am
I'm an outsider with no real understanding of US politics. Can someone explain to me how a majority party can't elect a speaker?
Just look around this board. That should help.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:02 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Because there are multiple factions at war with each other in the Republican Party. It’s partly the chickens coming home to roost after years of flame fanning by conservative media. There are members who don’t use the drivel as a vehicle to fool people into voting for them… they are the fools who were voting for the previous people before, became activists and got elected.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:10 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:33 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Just look around this board. That should help.
Excellent
― Noam Chomsky

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:17 pm

to be honest, what is happening on the right is something that could likely benefit the right in the long term. If the problems keep ramping up, then there's going to be an irreconcilable rift between the sane republicans and the psychopaths. If the psychopaths split off and try to use whatever power they think they hold, they will quickly learn that they cannot get absolutely anything done on their own and how limited their power really is. I mean, they hold little sway on the senate, its only in the house where these weirdos can get elected. When they accomplish literally nothing, the GOP money will back people that will take out the psychopaths and replace them with people who can be easily controlled.

The future looks brighter for the GOP in the long run. The left is doing all it can to cater to nutcases, which is why no one is touching the more important left wing priorities like SS and Medicare or education in a positive way.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:24 pm

In Canada, five parties are represented in our Parliament. The governing Liberals are in a minority postition.

Earlier this month, all parties unanimously elected the Prime Minister's nominee for speaker.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:26 pm

You can't get to yes when you're dealing with someone that won't say anything but no.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic